Does Boise St. still get the invite before July 1st?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I tend to think they do, but who knows at this point.

Thompson's message to me seemed to be, "It doesn't cost us anything to wait right now," while also making clear that they have the authority and ability to reconvene before July 1 to vote on Boise if necessary, even if its only on the telephone.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

The MWC is obviously looking at Colorado if the Big 12 dissolves, and I think they'd rather have CU and BSU. However, Boise would be a prudent move that would be a positive result. If the Pac10 holds course for the time being, nothing will happen until next summer, IMO. No way Boise will get a Pac10 invite.
ImageImageImageImage
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:The MWC is obviously looking at Colorado if the Big 12 dissolves, and I think they'd rather have CU and BSU. However, Boise would be a prudent move that would be a positive result. If the Pac10 holds course for the time being, nothing will happen until next summer, IMO. No way Boise will get a Pac10 invite.
Boise St. has zero relevance when it comes to PAC-10 expansion, now or 100 years from now.

The MWC is hoping to have its pick form the Big-12 North if that conference goes down, which it looks like it will.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

That conference goes down as soon as Nebraska or Missouri pull the trigger. So Notre Dame may not even be the first domino anymore.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I think it is more likely Boise will get an invite by the MWC before July 1st than it is to not get an invite. If the Big 12 falls apart, the MWC may very well wind up at 14 teams.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

While I understand that by waiting the MWC may be in a position to pick up some of the remaining Big 12 teams, however...am I the only one that thinks its stupid that the MWC is being reactive instead of proactive. This whole conference realignment is going to be about one thing Football (not academics, not basketball, not other sports) and the money that football can bring. Boise St is and has been a solid Football school for the past decade and I don't see that changing. I think it would have been smart to add them now and position the MWC to be in a position to convince other schools that we are ready to be competitive with the other conferences and that we aren't going to be an afterthought in this process. I see the Pac-10 being innovative and progressive, and instead of leading the way, adding Boise and making a statement of "The MWC is the best non-BCS conference by far and we are going to keep knocking on the door until we bust it down" the MWC is instead saying "lets wait and see what scraps we can grab off the floor after the fall out". Just my two cents.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

i really hope the MWC still invites BSU. i can understand not jumping into the expansion water until they have to, just to be prudent and potentially have more info available, but i really dont see a scenario where we wouldnt want to add BSU. Texas and Oklahoma wont need a home and no other big 12 schools boost BCS hopes as much as BSU. NU, Missouri they wont need a home either. CU, Baylor, houston, kansas, kansas st, why would we water down our league with mediocre big 12 teams? I wouldnt want them even if they are sitting there needing a home.

Maybe the presidents think if the big 12 blows up, that alone will mean an AQ for MWC so adding another team will just spread the money thinner. i really hope thats not the case, we as a conference have been screaming that BCS money should be determined based on performance on the field and that it isnt fair for the haves to keep from the have nots.

My gut tells me we still invite BSU before july 1st and hopefully thats it. that will get us probably as close to AQ as we can get without watering down our league. i am a football fan so the pros of adding Kansas and thier rich basketball tradition doesnt really appeal to me. i would enjoy seeing how the other schools that have not produced but dined at the BCS table will do without.....thats sounds a litlle vendictive but it interests me, see how they like it.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Snowman_55 wrote:I the only one that thinks its stupid that the MWC is being reactive instead of proactive.
Nope, I'm right there with you Snowman. I HATE the fact that the MWC has taken a "Wait-and-see" approach. Add Boise NOW, strengthen the conference, and then be in a position to offer to other schools if you choose too. IF the Big 12 goes down - which I still find unlikely - and Boise has been offered and accepted, it becomes a lot more attractive for the Big 12 leftovers to join the MWC. If the Big 12 stays intact, what do we lose by offering Boise?

In fact, I would argue that by offering Boise now, you prevent some of the dominoes from falling. It sounds to me like Nebraska and Missouri are looking to go the Big 10 regardless of whatever else happens with the Big 12 South. I still don't see Texas leaving for the pac 10, which means that the Big-12 would be looking for two teams to fill the North. It makes sense to me that they would look to the MWC. IMO, having Boise secured makes it really difficult for any current MWC member to leave. We'd have a powerful conference with a good chance at AQ status, especially if the Big 12 goes down.

Just my 2 cents, but I think waiting is silly and adding Boise only puts the MWC in a better position.

GO POKES!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

From what I've heard, Texas is a done deal to go to the PAC-10.

I say wait and see if we can get a better deal then add whoever is best for the MWC.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:From what I've heard, Texas is a done deal to go to the PAC-10.
Texas won't go without A&M and probably Tech. I just don't see it happening. But what do I know? I'm certainly no football genius and I've been known to be wrong.

Either way, I think it still makes sense to add Boise now. If the Big 12 does go down, they're still the best school out there to consider for expansion, so what does it hurt? I'd just rather see the MWC be proactive rather than reactive, and put themselves in the best position possible.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

I'd say bring in Boise, but I would rather go to 12 then stay at 10, as ten messes with declaring a true conference champ, or you lose an OOC game.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I may be vindictive but i really dont want any BCS castoffs, any worth a damn wont need a conference and NONE of them were argued with us to congress about the inequities of the BCS. Sorry but I dont want any of those sponges, Eff em let those schools make due and earn it like our conference and BSU has, they shouldnt benefit from all our hard work. Invite BSU now, and only invite others if we need to fill spots due to defectors. taking in the all the others only waters down our league.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I'd be in favor of Kansas being added.. MWC would become a top 5 BB conference in an instant.
ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

MrTitleist wrote:I'd be in favor of Kansas being added.. MWC would become a top 5 BB conference in an instant.
So, Wyoming would then be at the bottom of the NCAA in Men's BB with KU here.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Major rumor:

If only two leave the Big 12, AFA and BYU will be the replacement schools in the Big 12 North
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!