Good luck in San Diego

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

CowleyCougFan wrote:Are you happy with Wyoming's exposure?
Yep. Got to watch just about every game that I didn't attend in person. I'd rather listen to Dave and Kevin (our radio guys) anyway. Two of the best in the business.

Was BYU even on TV this year? Can honestly say I haven't seen or heard a thing about them. I seem to remember BYUTV being a big part of the conversation when they left. If that's your "national exposure" I'll take our ESPN2 and CBS Sports every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You asked why there's so much hatred for BYU. It stems from this fake "honor code" that only seems to apply when they want it too, and can be overlooked when guys like Rafael Araujo are brought to Provostan. I will never forget watching him ball up a fist and punch our guy in the stomach at one end of the floor (no call, blatantly obvious), then obviously flop on the other end and the official couldn't blow the whistle fast enough. And no ramifications from the conference or the school when it was caught on tape. That guy was a walking violation of the "honor code" but nobody seemed to mind when he was winning basketball games. And that's just one example. The number of cheap shots and extracurricular activity I've witnessed from BYU players - who are supposed to espouse the values of the "honor code" - is just ridiculous. And that's just part of it.

There may be increased good sportsmanship this year. But that doesn't make up for many years of terrible sportsmanship hidden behind the "honor code."

GO POKES!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

TSpoke wrote:
CowleyCougFan wrote: And yes, I'm sure that many BYU fans come across as arrogant and self-righteous (although, we're not all that way - anymore than you are all urine bomb throwers)
The difference is that zero Wyoming fans are urine bomb throwers no matter how much byu fans try to paint us as such.
What a joke. BYU fans have a persecution complex
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

CowleyCougFan wrote:Anyone care to answer my question?

And I really couldn't care less about the cheap shots, I'm think skinned, but I was hoping to find a few that want to discuss things in an intelligent manor.

Are you happy with Wyoming's exposure? There was a recent article citing that BYU had better exposure on national TV this past year than all but a handful of teams.

It's what BYU was seeking, and they found it. I really miss the old rivalries in the MWC, but I don't miss the horrible TV contract. The money was terrible and the exposure even worse. Am I wrong?
What does BYU play for as an independent? What's the point, man? Are you guys playing for a participation trophy? Being in a league and competing is the foundation of organized sports
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

You all make some great points about late season and what to play for after a loss or two (or 4 this year)

It really is the biggest problem we have with independence.

I'm glad that you guys got so much exposure this year. A big turn around from the old days. . I've always felt that most of us in this time zone are at a big disadvantage because of smaller populations.

I still think that one of the biggest hose jobs was 20 years ago when you guys were 10-2 and got no bowl bid. If I'm being honest, BYU was lucky to win yet as close as the game was, you guys got hosed.

And Wellpoke, please explain the reasons you call the honor code fake? Do you really believe that, or just taking a cheap shot? How many schools would have suspended Brandon Davies from a top ten basketball team just as it goes into the tournament?

No one at BYU claims to be perfect, but scalling BYU's honor code fake is pretty disingenuous don't you think? I mean there are a lot of things to throw stones at BYU over, but the honor code being fake? Really?
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:
wyokoke wrote:Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think attempting to kill the MWC is where the hate comes from...
The nearly 80 years of self righteous BS prior to that didn't help.
It's the self-righteousness. If they (the Mormons) would just realize that they are different and do things differently (that's just fine, it's a free country) and not judge others for not abiding by their standards things would be a lot better.
The non BYU mormons I have met don't have the same level of self righteousness. Must be something about the water in provostan....
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Landerpoke, I recently read a post from a pokes fan bragging about the urine bombs. Fake post? Maybe. But there is more than one account (BYU and Utah fans alike) of such occurrences.

I would never attempt to group all Wyo fans in the same class, but I think you have to admit that there have been some pretty classless actions from fans (on both sides) in the past.

Personally, I have no interest in hating any group of fans or their team. I love actual football smack and discussion, but the hatred thing gets old.

My guess is that if you and I met face to face or lived next door, we could become friends. No?
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

HR_Poke - I'm sorry if LDS fans have acted self-righteous. I know it happens, but it's not what we preach or believe.

We believe in being Christ-like, but in practice we are no better at it than you or anyone else who is trying to accomplish the same thing.

I sense a feeling of dislike (even hate from some) buy honestly, I love Wyoming and the people.

I am in the minority of fans (from both sides), but I wish we would renew the rivalry. I wish it could become about football, and not about hate though.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

The urine bomb legends probably have a wrinkle of truth as enough posts referenced it. But it was probably an isolated incident 30 plus years ago and is no longer relevant in today's game. I went to Wyoming 5 years and saw the last byu game.

The f word was the most volitile thing ever thrown the entire game and that goes for every game I ever attended.

Stereotypes are formed from looking at exceptions instead of the norms. Wyoming absolutely is passionate and the hate towards byu is born of long history. But this urine bomb thing really is out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

HR_Poke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:
wyokoke wrote:Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think attempting to kill the MWC is where the hate comes from...
The nearly 80 years of self righteous BS prior to that didn't help.
It's the self-righteousness. If they (the Mormons) would just realize that they are different and do things differently (that's just fine, it's a free country) and not judge others for not abiding by their standards things would be a lot better.
The non BYU mormons I have met don't have the same level of self righteousness. Must be something about the water in provostan....
Yes. Like me and my family that have been living in Wyoming for 5 generations now.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

CowleyCougFan wrote:Landerpoke, I recently read a post from a pokes fan bragging about the urine bombs. Fake post? Maybe. But there is more than one account (BYU and Utah fans alike) of such occurrences.

I would never attempt to group all Wyo fans in the same class, but I think you have to admit that there have been some pretty classless actions from fans (on both sides) in the past.

Personally, I have no interest in hating any group of fans or their team. I love actual football smack and discussion, but the hatred thing gets old.

My guess is that if you and I met face to face or lived next door, we could become friends. No?
Go home and try to piss in a balloon and tell me how well it works.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote:
CowleyCougFan wrote:Landerpoke, I recently read a post from a pokes fan bragging about the urine bombs. Fake post? Maybe. But there is more than one account (BYU and Utah fans alike) of such occurrences.

Go home and try to piss in a balloon and tell me how well it works.
That, in and of itself, is not a Honor Code Violation, so he shall try!

...The resulting mess however, will be several Honor Code Violations.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

CowleyCougFan wrote:And Wellpoke, please explain the reasons you call the honor code fake? Do you really believe that?
I did explain the reasons, and gave one good example. I can't speak for recent athletic teams at BYU, maybe it's better. Frankly I don't care. But when I was at UW (97-2004), yes I really do think no one at BwhYU gave a crap if the athletes violated the honor code. That made it fake, and added to the feeling that we all had about the school, its athletes, and its fans.

And then when BwhYU left the MWC and tried to kill the conference on the way out the door (I know you'll say they didn't, that arguments already been had and your revisionist history doesn't hold up), it just made it worse.

I'm glad we're in the BOHL game, and don't really care who the opponent is. But I hope we never play BwhYU in a regular season game EVER again. Don't miss it, don't want it back.

GO POKES!
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Not to belabor the point, but a punch in a game should result in a suspension, but is not an honor code violation. The honor code is not for athletes, it is for all students.

It's actually somewhat controversial right now (there is some pressure to relax and some even feel it should be removed altogether - however I don't anticipate that), but is something all students sign and covers multiple things.

I don't remember what if any repercussions Araujo suffered from this punch, and I'm not defending punching someone, even in a heated game, but that isn't covered in the honor code.

There have been many athletes suspended from BYU for honor code violations. Many have been at the worst time possible too. (See Brandon Davies)

Like I said, BYU is far from perfect, but the Honor Code is applied evenly among all students and is anything but fake (ask Ronnie Jenkins from the aforementioned 1996 season). You should do just a little research before making such uninformed claims.

If you want to hate on BYU, go ahead, but don't let it be because their honor code is fake.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I liked when the BYU basketball player straight up elbowed the Ute last year. Not to mention all the brawls their football team gets into. Screams integrity! In all my years, I've never seen a wyo football player punch a guy in the nuts while he was laying down.

W-Y, Until I Die!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I'll belabor the point. And I have done the research. I know what the honor code says. And "obey the law and all campus policies" probably includes punching a guy in a game, even in a heated contest.

Here's the thing. It should be applied to all students, including student-athletes. It wasn't being applied fairly to student athletes when I was at UW, at least in my estimation. I'll admit that I'm not (and never have been) a BwhYU student or had any affiliation with the school (thank God!), so I'm certainly not aware of every instance. But I've seen many be overlooked by administration in my time. That adds to the perception that the rules only apply when they want them to.

You asked, we're telling you. Now tell us more about how that guy you knew got hit with a urine bomb once.

GO POKES!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

The recent urine bomb posts were fans joking over the ridiculousness of every other fan base claiming this. And I have to call a fan-infraction on you for this post. You can't use Utah fans to back a claim, when in the same thread you are stating that an article by a Utah fan has no merit. They are either a good source or not. Another infraction, and you sir, are taking a lap.

I haven't seen a BYU game all season, and I usually watch 3 or 4 NCAA football games each week. Here's the problem for me. While you are getting good TV exposure, as a fan of college football, I feel your games are meaningless, much like Army from weekend one or Notre Dame after their 2nd loss. If you happen to be 8-0 late in the season, there would start to be some interest, as in will BYU run the table? Or if you happened to be playing a team in the play-off hunt and could urine bomb their season, then that would be interesting. But watching an independent playing for a MWC quality bowl game just isn't interesting. I'd watch NM and Colorado State playing for that birth or for the chance to play in the conference chapionship, but an independent I sort of just feel sorry for.

And I've had Mormon friends over the years, most who could out-drink me, so no hate coming from me.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

cowboyz wrote:
CowleyCougFan wrote:

[And I've had Mormon friends over the years, most who could out-drink me, so no hate coming from me.
This reminds of something my buddy use to say.

"He always took two mormons fishing with him - if he only took one they drank all his beer".

CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Well, I'll be honest, I actually thought it was a pretty well established fact that wyo fans threw urine bombs, heated pennies, beer, etc on opposing fans and players. If none of these things has ever happened, then I apologize for propagating a false stereotype.

But on the other hand, I have yet to see an actual example of how an athlete broke the honor code but had the administration turn the other way and sweep under the table. And no, as much as you'd like it to apply, as wrong as punching a guy in a game is, it is not the kind of thing that the Honor Code office gets involved in. That is for the coaching staff and AD's office.

I cannot defend the nut or sucker punches that you allude to. But these are hardly representative of the majority of BYU athletes. Do you judge every UNM athlete by the actions of the girl who pulled the BYU soccer player down by the pony tail? I doubt it. In fact my guess is most on this board probably responded with "Well she probably deserved it..." Yet there can be no mitigating circumstances for a BYU players actions. BTW, if you don't believe this, go watch the previous game , but the ute player that was punched in the chest last year is the same guy who kicked Tyler Haws in the groin the year before.

My point? You can always find what you are looking for to either praise or criticize a team.

Also I love this: "Another infraction, and you sir, are taking a lap". Well, I didn't actually quote a ute, just passing on some anecdotal evidence. But, I'll take a lap anyway.
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

"He always took two mormons fishing with him - if he only took one they drank all his beer".

Pretty funny, even if it is old. Down south they tell the same joke about baptists.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

CowleyCougFan wrote:"He always took two mormons fishing with him - if he only took one they drank all his beer".

Pretty funny, even if it is old. Down south they tell the same joke about baptists.
i assume that every region of the world has a similar joke about whatever religious groups are in the area
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'