2017 Schedule Outlook

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

September 2: @ IOWA
September 9: vs GARDNER-WEBB
September 16: vs OREGON
September 23: TBA
September 30: vs TEXAS STATE

MWC Home Games:
Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, New Mexico

MWC Road Games:
Air Force, Boise State, San Jose State, Utah State

Thoughts?
I know that if Hill returns our expectations will be much higher than if he leaves, but still the offense and the team in general should have some big expectations next season.

The OOC schedule is intriguing. Iowa is a solid program, but they often schedule weak teams and beat up on them to inflate their win total year after year. It bit them this season when they lost to North Dakota State at home. At this point, the parallels between Wyo and NDSU are obvious and don't need to be touched on.

Gardner-Webb. Man oh man, this better be a HUGE blowout. Like a 63-0 nothing blowout.

Oregon just had their worst season in some time and finished with a bottom 5 D1 defense. They are truly atrocious on that side of the ball, but just got a new coach, and hired arguably the best DC in the Pac12 from Colorado. They will be improved, but we saw how hard it is to quickly turn around a weak soft defense. Plus power teams have always given the Ducks fits.
Can Allen and (hopefully) Hill lead the Pokes to a win over the Yucks? Yes. They can. They will. Chalk that one up now.

Texas State. Losing to Texas State in the lightning delay game a few years ago with DC and Brett Smith still hurts. They went 2-10 this year. I don't see any reason why Wyoming shouldn't handle these guys.

MWC games. I think the road schedule is pretty tough for Wyo. Well, tough if you consider AFA and USU tough. We might have AFA's number, and USU might be sliding back into pre-Andersen irrelevancy. If that's the case, then Boise State is the only real threat on that road schedule right?
I don't know what to make of the road schedule at this point.

The home schedule seems like it could be a toss up at this point as well. CSU will be good, New Mexico OWNS us, Fresno State was terrible and Hawaii isn't too bad.

Thoughts?
Anyone going to Iowa for that game? The Boise game could be a BIG one, and the MWC will likely put the game towards the end of the season and if both teams are good, there could be a big Pokes showing at the Smurf Turf. The Border War might go a long ways in determining the MWC.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

I agree with pretty much all

I would say we have a really good shot at winning all our conference home games. Obviously, we'll have a decent shot at Oregon. If NDSU can knock off Iowa at home, why not us?

If we don't curb stomp Texas state and Garden-Webber that will be disappointing.

Utah state is fading back to obscurity. Air Force is losing like 18 starters, so I think we get them. New Mexco loses a lot, too. I would hope we can get Sharta on the road at this point.

It'll come down to two games, I think. @ Boise and home vs. the sheep. Winning both would get us to the CCG, again.

It's tough to predict the future, but I don't see any team making it through the conference unscathed. It will help that we get to avoid SDSU next year. NM and Boise have to play SDSU. It will be a tight race with us, the sheep and Boise.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Oregon is only a couple years removed from NC contention. We haven't beaten that kind of a program with that kind of pedigree in a long, long time. If there's a time to beat them it would be this coming year but I don't think it is likely. I think 2-2 is the most realistic OOC record. I think we're looking at a 7-5 team. We haven't had back to back winning seasons in almost 20 years so that would be something. I don't think we will return to the CCG due to us having to go to BSU. Hopefully build to a big 2018 season with a big senior class led by Allen and hopefully a MW title.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Without Hill, and if no surprise freshman RB recruit, the whole offensive scheme will have to be altered to emphasize the pass. But it will have to be quite unique, because of the loss of great receivers. Orherwise, plodding on, business as usual, I would see a 6-6 season. That's just my posterior extraction.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

calpoke25 wrote:Oregon is only a couple years removed from NC contention. We haven't beaten that kind of a program with that kind of pedigree in a long, long time. If there's a time to beat them it would be this coming year but I don't think it is likely. I think 2-2 is the most realistic OOC record. I think we're looking at a 7-5 team. We haven't had back to back winning seasons in almost 20 years so that would be something. I don't think we will return to the CCG due to us having to go to BSU. Hopefully build to a big 2018 season with a big senior class led by Allen and hopefully a MW title.
I see a really, really good shot at 8 wins again.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Who knows how the season will turn out...but the Pokes should be a much improved team next year. Our O will be solid with a more veteran Oline. And our D will be much more experienced and have improved depth and size. Considering we had a 6 game turnaround in one year playing a very young team....there is no way to think we will not improve. We might finish around 7-5....but Iowa and Oregon will have to play well to beat us IMO. Same with Boise. And we won't have to play SDSU (even though we won the regular season contest against them). We get San Jose, Fresno, and Hawaii.

I think the potential is there for a conferene title if things fall into place.

ps. Please stick around for your senior year Brian Hill.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:Without Hill, and if no surprise freshman RB recruit, the whole offensive scheme will have to be altered to emphasize the pass. But it will have to be quite unique, because of the loss of great receivers. Orherwise, plodding on, business as usual, I would see a 6-6 season. That's just my posterior extraction.
Kellen Overstreet is the real deal IMO (or Mike Green, Milo Hall, Nico Evans, or new JC recruit if Hill leaves). If we lose Brian Hill, we're not going to fall off the rate of improvement we've seen. If won't be a 6 game improvement. But, don't see a -2 game setback either.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 239 times

I am going to the Iowa game with my girlfriend (Iowa native/alum and huge football fan). This game is going to cause a serious divide in our relationship :lol:

I think it is a bit early to guess too much about next year (I am being constantly reminded that Iowa is getting its star receiver back FWIW).

Hill is likely the best RB that we will see at Wyoming anytime soon. That said, I don't see his potential loss being as big as others. The biggest loss for this team IMO is Jacob Hollister (Chase Roullier following right behind). I just have not seen enough from the other tight ends in the program at this point. Also, I believe that Jacob Hollister will surprise a lot of people and make an NFL roster.

I am looking forward to Austin Conway becoming more involved on the offensive side of the ball next year. Biggest threat that we have had with the ball in space since Devin Moore. I really enjoy watching Conway.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote:I am going to the Iowa game with my girlfriend (Iowa native/alum and huge football fan). This game is going to cause a serious divide in our relationship :lol:

I think it is a bit early to guess too much about next year (I am being constantly reminded that Iowa is getting its star receiver back FWIW).

Hill is likely the best RB that we will see at Wyoming anytime soon. That said, I don't see his potential loss being as big as others. The biggest loss for this team IMO is Jacob Hollister (Chase Roullier following right behind). I just have not seen enough from the other tight ends in the program at this point. Also, I believe that Jacob Hollister will surprise a lot of people and make an NFL roster.

I am looking forward to Austin Conway becoming more involved on the offensive side of the ball next year. Biggest threat that we have had with the ball in space since Devin Moore. I really enjoy watching Conway.
Conway needs to go see Dennison. He could use 15 more lbs.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 239 times

LanderPoke wrote: Conway needs to go see Dennison. He could use 15 more lbs.
I don't know about that. Conway has some pretty unique 'shiftiness.' Putting on the weight may take away from his unique ability.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: Conway needs to go see Dennison. He could use 15 more lbs.
I don't know about that. Conway has some pretty unique 'shiftiness.' Putting on the weight may take away from his unique ability.
Perhaps. He didn't get hurt this year so maybe he's good the way he is
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I think people are downplaying the loss of potentially all the skill position players if Hill goes and even if he stays the receiving group. We have a really solid class of big, sure-handed senior receivers. How many guys can make the catches Gentry made to bail out Allen? Extremely unproven. CJ Johnson had some nice moments but those are some huge gloves to fill, so to say.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 17 times

I will be going to the Iowa game. I've been planning it for a few years now.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:How many guys can make the catches Gentry made to bail out Allen?
This is something I will definitely agree with. Some of those catches were ridiculous, but I think too often we were focused on Allen's ability to get it to him.

We will see if Johnson or other receivers have the big catch in them, but it will also be somewhat on Allen to improve his accuracy in the offseason.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

The loss of the senior receivers is what really concerns me. Gentry, Maulhardt, and Hollister all were huge contributors. I think the younger guys will step up, but they have big shoes to fill.

I'll be going to Iowa for the game next year. Always try and make it to one non conference road game every season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

Maulhardt won't be a big loss; Gentry and Hollister will be. Roullier is a big loss too. I don't think Hill will be the loss we all think. Frankly, I think he is too easy to plan against and I think his departure (whenever it occurs) will force Vigen to open up the offense more. Don't get me wrong, his production would be sorely missed, but I think 1700 yds produced by a few different people in different ways won't be a bad thing.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

The seniors who played this year are all going to be tough to replace. I'm basing everything on Craig Bohl's system. I think he likes to stick with the guys who have earned PT. I do think we have talent on the team at WR and TE that we just didn't get a chance to see as often as we would have liked. Conway should be good as should Price, Johnson, Okwoli and Parker at wr. I also think the two other TE's who rotated can be solid players as well in Mayfield and Harshman. The offense might not take huge leaps forward. But, I do expect our D will.

Time will tell.

Go Pokes!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

onePokeovertheline wrote:I don't think Hill will be the loss we all think. Frankly, I think he is too easy to plan against and I think his departure (whenever it occurs) will force Vigen to open up the offense more.
Don't be so sure the offense will drastically change. That being said, Bohl/Vigen always seem to get good RB production.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

This next season comes down to these things for me.

1. Can we replace the quality of receivers in this years senior class? Obviously i saw that I'm not the only person with these concerns but each one of these recievers was sure handed, ran great routes and blocked downfield with precion. I see potential with some of these younger guys but I have not seen enough out of our young recievers to put alot of stock into the "It will be fine" group.

2. Can we dominate the line of scrimage on offense? We are losing an all american center and these don't just get plugged in by the next guy. Regardless of whether Brian Hill returns for the pokes or not we will need a dominant offensive line in order to move the ball the way Craig Bohl wants it done. The second half of the BYU game and the first San Diego State game are great examples of what he wants to do and it takes horses up front to do this.

3. Can we get more depth on the defensive line? I know coach bohl is all about getting freshman and not getting JC guys but we could really use a big ugly at nose tackle. I watched our guys get owned up front by the better teams we played ala byu, SDSU, and even New Mexico. We were not impressive as a whole stopping the run this year and it really takes our front line guys filling gaps.

If these areas are improved upon next season or at the very least maintained close to the level that we saw this season then I think we likely

Lose to Iowa: This is a tough matchup for the pokes as they apear to be a rising program from my estimation and traveling to Iowa. They had the number 24 total defense this season and that is going to be a tough game for us to break in new guys at vital positions. I really wish we had an FCS school first game as this will be tough.

Win against Gardner webb: This should be a victory for the pokes and I hope that we are past the point of being concerned about FCS schools beating wyoming in Laramie.

Win against Oregon: I like the pokes against the ducks as they are coming off an abysmal 2016 and they will be breaking in a new coach with a new system etc. I think this game will be at just the right time for the pokes.

Win against Texas State: The cowboys need a bit of revenge for the butt kicking we took from them a few years ago at Texas State and we should do it at the War.

From there I think we are very competitive in conference play. I'll just Bold the games I think we should win.

MWC home games: Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, New Mexico
I say these games because I don't see Colorado State coming into the War and taking the bronze boot from this pokes squad. Bohl and these players are going to go on a run against CSU. Hawaii and Fresno are teams we should handle in Laramie without too much difficulty. Finally that brings us to New Mexico and the resurgance of New Mexico football. I can't see bob davie beating Wyoming four times in a row and that is what we are facing. Game is in Laramie and you can bet our guys will remember the ass kicking this year and step up.

MWC Road Games: Air Force, Boise State, San Jose State, Utah State

Our road schedule looks very doable this season as well. Air Force is always a tough out for the pokes but I'm confident that we can and will beat Air Force. Boise State is a buzz saw in Boise and I think it's unlikely the pokes walk away with a w in that game. The final two road games should not be a major challenge as the pokes are a rising program and both these teams are trending the other direction.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote:This next season comes down to these things for me.
I like your optimism, but I'm not as confident in a 10-2 season.

However, I do think the schedule sets up decently for us, especially in the new rotation of West games. I can't see us losing more than one of those five. Against the Mountain, I'll say we split...that puts us at 5-3 in conference at worst. I don't expect worse than a split in OOC either, putting us at worst at 7-5. Coming off an 8-4 season, I'm sure some would be disappointed in that, but I think that's still a solid season.