Montana St. defeats Pokes in Shootout

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

From ESPN.com:

CASPER, Wyo. -- Divaldo Mbunga scored 23 points and grabbed eight rebounds and Montana State survived a late Wyoming rally for a 79-72 win at the Wyoming Shootout on Saturday.

Mbunga helped put the game away with six free throws in the final 3 minutes after Brandon Ewing scored six straight Wyoming points to give the Cowboys a 64-62 lead.

Carlos Taylor and Casey Durham each scored 14 points for MSU (5-4), and Phil Friesen added 10. Ryan Dermody led Wyoming (4-4) with 17 points.

Ewing finished with 14 points and nine assists. Travis Nelson added 14 points, and Eric Platt scored 11.

The Bobcats got ahead 14-7 on an 8-0 run that included six straight points by Bobby Howard.

Wyoming responded with a 13-1 run later in the first half and took a 31-27 lead at the half. Montana State opened the second half with a 19-9 run to take a 46-40 lead with 13:40 to go.

Ewing converted a three-point play with 8:34 remaining that put the Cowboys back up 55-52, but Mbunga scored four straight to help the Bobcats regain a 58-55 lead.

The win ends MSU's 11-game losing streak to the Cowboys.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I didn't see this game and only heard parts of it. Sounded like Nelson had a great game and is really improving. He has one of the best shots in close that I have seen. It also sounded like turnovers and rebounding did us in. Hang in there Pokes - it'll get there.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
cbeditor
Buckaroo

I was there, and Nelson did look good. He had career highs in points and blocks, and when he was in, we seemed to be able to handle Mbunga fairly well.

The problem, though, was that he got himself in foul trouble fairly early, and when he went out, Songondo and Linskens really struggled in the paint.

I've seen this before out of Nelson. He is really getting better, but our bench is so short, we can't afford to get him in foul trouble. He's got to find a way not to foul and still play tough.

But I like his agressiveness this season.