Wyoming Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Big weekend upcoming against West Vriginia. I am sure Branch would like to see more bonus victory wins, and a lot more consistancy from guys like Hayden. They better figure it out because Fresno State is turning into a monster program with a true demolishing of Utah Valley and SDSU.

Bryce will be back in action on Friday at the Dave Schultz tournament. Job Greenwood (Wyoming signee) will also be in action.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Is the match at West Virginia or here?
Vapoke
Cowpoke

2pm Sunday in the MPG.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Vapoke wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 pm Big weekend upcoming against West Vriginia. I am sure Branch would like to see more bonus victory wins, and a lot more consistancy from guys like Hayden. They better figure it out because Fresno State is turning into a monster program with a true demolishing of Utah Valley and SDSU.

Bryce will be back in action on Friday at the Dave Schultz tournament. Job Greenwood (Wyoming signee) will also be in action.
Good call on Fresno State. Wow, it is amazing how fast that program has been built! Letdown for sure losing that dual.

I did watch the Pokes against CSU-Bakersfield after the Super Bowl concluded and I was disappointed in a few of the performances as there was only one bonus point victory but at least the Pokes won all but two of the matches. Sam Turner was working on a major and then just gave up in the third period and barely hung on for the win against a weak opponent according to record (he got lucky he didn't get pinned). For those that have access to ESPN3, you can watch the replay on the App.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

The team looked flat. Wonder what the heck was up
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:09 am The team looked flat. Wonder what the heck was up
They did. Scheduling two away duals in California on the same day (which happens to be the day of the Super Bowl) shouldn't be an excuse but was likely a contributing factor. This could be a blessing in disguise, I'd rather have them come out flat in some duals rather than the Big 12s. Now Branch has something to use as motivation and there isn't a wrestler in the room that isn't subject to some criticism after those duals (even Ashworth who struggled scoring points against a guy he teched last year).
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I imagine the 2-hour drive between matches didn't help them in the 2nd dual.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

It was their first trip from home in over a month. They were flat against Fresno, but I will tell you the team responds well. The CSUB fans started yelling at Branch and our wrestlers and then our team woke up the last 3 matches. Tate kept slamming his guy into the mat every chance he got. It was good to see some fire from them.
I am sure Branch will have them ready for Friday night. Cole was limping after the Fresno match and Cale didn't wrestle at CSUB so we need those guys to get healthy.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Good to see some good wins against UVU tonight. I wish that Andrews could have had a shot at the bigger Orndorf. Guess he was scared.
Ashworth took care of business and Hastings got a nice upset win, both over fairly highly ranked guys.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:04 pm Good to see some good wins against UVU tonight. I wish that Andrews could have had a shot at the bigger Orndorf. Guess he was scared.
Ashworth took care of business and Hastings got a nice upset win, both over fairly highly ranked guys.
Great response to the disappointing CA trip for the Pokes! Ashworth is having a great season! Hopefully he continues his roll through the NCAAs and he has the potential to make a Bryce Meredith type run.

Utah Valley has been strange in holding out some of its better wrestlers from duals. The Wyoming dual is the first one that they fielded most of their lineup. They all can’t be injury related. I don’t really understand.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

https://ytcropper.com/embed/W75c5f053d5 ... oautoplay/

The bigger Orndorff Brother had the flu. I am not sure about Findlay though at 141. I doubt we see Verner tomorrow as he was a little banged up last week and SDSU is not very good. I hope it is packed tomorrow for Branson.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Wyoming defeats SDSU 32-9. Cole hasn’t wrestled the past two matches, hope he is just getting healthy for a big match next weekend.
Turner and Ashworth are really becoming monsters with bonus points lately.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:54 pm Wyoming defeats SDSU 32-9. Cole hasn’t wrestled the past two matches, hope he is just getting healthy for a big match next weekend.
Turner and Ashworth are really becoming monsters with bonus points lately.
Branch said he wanted to get the seniors in at the last home dual so it makes sense why Brock George got the start over Verner. I also think they wanted to get Doyle Trout into a dual.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Verner has a big match next Sunday against Montoya. I wonder if Dewey is even on the roster anymore, I thought for sure he was going to be a very good 157 for Wyoming.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am Verner has a big match next Sunday against Montoya. I wonder if Dewey is even on the roster anymore, I thought for sure he was going to be a very good 157 for Wyoming.
Dewey is on he roster according to the official site. I've said it before but I think he needs to go up in weight as, from my perspective, his style seems to fit those weights a bit better. I'd love to see some throws next year at 174/184.

One good example of moving up in weight and shining is Anthony Cassar from Penn State as he put on like 40 pounds over last year (and is still a small HWT). He is my pick to win the National Title at HWT.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

I don't disagree, but he wrestled that weight in his career. Beyond 165, which I think Hastings will wrestle at next year there isn't much for him to go from. I think 174 will be a battle between Moody and Randles. Samuelson, Davidson, and Andrews are cemented in at their positions with bigger recruits coming in at 197 and HWT.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 am I don't disagree, but he wrestled that weight in his career. Beyond 165, which I think Hastings will wrestle at next year there isn't much for him to go from. I think 174 will be a battle between Moody and Randles. Samuelson, Davidson, and Andrews are cemented in at their positions with bigger recruits coming in at 197 and HWT.
Penn State had a 3 time all-american at HWT (who is now sitting the bench). I hope that no one is 'cemented into their positions' because it is competition that breeds success. If a guy like Dewey wants to train hard and eat right to move up in weight and he beats the other guy consistently, then he should absolutely be the starter.

I like the fact that the Wyoming program is at a point where many of the backups over the next few years could be guys that could qualify for a National Tournament if not for being a backup. Let's be honest, the NCAA tournament isn't really the best 33 wrestlers and there are backups from the Penn States, Iowas and Oklahoma States that could easily qualify if not for the 1 wrestler per weight per team limit.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see some jumps by redshirts. I was sad to see Drake Foster leave the program. Branson came to Wyoming as a 149 and made the jump to 165 and went on a tear. Not sure some of the redshirts can make the jump form 141 to 149 and 157 to breed some competition.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times

I like Dewey, and he was exciting wrestling those bigger guys. I'm not convinced that he just has a style that breeds throwing big guys around though. I think it may have been just that the big guys didn't respect him last year and got tossed. It would be great if he can put on some weight and beat out some of our guys up there, but I'll be surprised, because the guys on our team and on others aren't going to get caught repeatedly. If bigger weights are where he is supposed to be, why isn't he wrestling there this year?
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Where do you guys watch? Do you have Flowrestling subscriptions?