Thoughts on QB

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Nobody has thoughts on Chambers being named starter? Was it a foregone conclusion? I figured he’d be the man.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:33 am Nobody has thoughts on Chambers being named starter? Was it a foregone conclusion? I figured he’d be the man.
He was named starter last year as well. Bohl doesn't seem to take away starting spots due to injuries. That said, he clearly is the QB that is likely to keep the chains moving and fits this offense really well.

Additionally, TVW seems to be a great competitor as well because all indications are that he is sticking with the program. In this 'me first' world, not many QBs at other programs have been doing that when a freshman was named the starter.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I feel good about the QB situation. Chambers has to be the guy and Vanderwaal is a capable backup that will probably get a lot of PT in his career with the way Chambers runs and inevitable injuries that follow.

Did anyone hear anything about Levi Williams?? He was here for spring football, correct?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 am I feel good about the QB situation. Chambers has to be the guy and Vanderwaal is a capable backup that will probably get a lot of PT in his career with the way Chambers runs and inevitable injuries that follow.

Did anyone hear anything about Levi Williams?? He was here for spring football, correct?
Yes. Davis Potter had a nice write up:
https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 8987f.html
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 am I feel good about the QB situation. Chambers has to be the guy and Vanderwaal is a capable backup that will probably get a lot of PT in his career with the way Chambers runs and inevitable injuries that follow.

I believe he was, but between Chambers and Vanderwaal's experience there's almost zero chance that he doesn't redshirt this year. I'm pretty sure Bohl likes to shirt his QBs whenever possible. If Vanderwaal had been able to win games last year I'm sure we wouldn't have seen Chambers until this season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

"our offense, which is a complicated offense" - Craig Bohl

I chuckle whenever I read stuff like this.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:31 pm

I believe he was, but between Chambers and Vanderwaal's experience there's almost zero chance that he doesn't redshirt this year. I'm pretty sure Bohl likes to shirt his QBs whenever possible. If Vanderwaal had been able to win games last year I'm sure we wouldn't have seen Chambers until this season.
A freshman can redshirt and still play in 4 games. Chambers was going to play some (perhaps in decided games) regardless as to how well TVW performed. I actually expect that we may see Williams on the field a bit this upcoming season.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:08 pm "our offense, which is a complicated offense" - Craig Bohl

As fans we tend to just see plays as "up the middle", "play action", "sweep", etc -- I do actually think the blocking schemes are pretty complicated. Maybe that's the problem.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:08 pm "our offense, which is a complicated offense" - Craig Bohl

As fans we tend to just see plays as "up the middle", "play action", "sweep", etc -- I do actually think the blocking schemes are pretty complicated. Maybe that's the problem.
That is the problem. We don't have Nebraska type lineman to run these Osborne style blocking schemes. Strong, quick, and athletic lineman are hard to come by. I appreciate the uniqueness of a power offense in college football but I figured by this point we would have the type of lineman to run it.
I'm good for 3!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I agree with this. TVW is gonna still be a pretty important piece of this team. I hope sean Never gets injured again but its football so it will probably happen. I am really happy that TVW has stuck it out and understands he is one play away from playing. His attitude he has shown during last season and the off-season has made him one of my favorite players. I also think hhas more talent than we saw in the first stretch of games he played last year.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

From the pictures I've seen with Levi standing next to Chambers... He needs a redshirt. He is skinny, needs to eat and lift.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

carbonpoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 pm From the pictures I've seen with Levi standing next to Chambers... He needs a redshirt. He is skinny, needs to eat and lift.
That's one thing I appreciate about Chambers. He's build well and is rugged.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 am
I agree with this. TVW is gonna still be a pretty important piece of this team. I hope sean Never gets injured again but its football so it will probably happen. I am really happy that TVW has stuck it out and understands he is one play away from playing. His attitude he has shown during last season and the off-season has made him one of my favorite players. I also think hhas more talent than we saw in the first stretch of games he played last year.
If he doesn't get significant playing time this season TVW will be gone. No reason for him to wait around forever if he can transfer and find PT. He's wasn't good but he's no Nick Smith, at least not yet. I have to think that's why Bohl went after Williams.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:33 am If he doesn't get significant playing time this season TVW will be gone. No reason for him to wait around forever if he can transfer and find PT. He's wasn't good but he's no Nick Smith, at least not yet. I have to think that's why Bohl went after Williams.
Bohl has been quoted often as wanting to sign a QB with every recruiting class.

2015 - Josh Allen
2016 - Chandler Garrett, Isaac Leppke
2017 - Tyler Vander Waal
2018 - Sean Chambers
2019 - Levi Williams

I can all but guarantee we'll sign another this year
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Agree except the redshirt rule changes. I think they'd like to get any player 4 games experience during redshirt year when/if possible. If one of the 2qbs was down you hope #3 gets a bit of time?

I really like having 2 qb's. What they really need is a QB coach. I know they could bring one in but I don't think they will.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Agree except the redshirt rule changes. I think they'd like to get any player 4 games experience during redshirt year when/if possible. If one of the 2qbs was down you hope #3 gets a bit of time?

I really like having 2 qb's. What they really need is a QB coach. I know they could bring one in but I don't think they will.
Vigen is the QB coach. Has been since they were at NDSU. While most may not like him calling the offense, I think his biggest contribution is as the QB coach. He was the QB coach of 2 guys currently starting in the NFL, not very many people that can claim that...hell, he might be the only one.