Wyo @ Tulsa

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

We can all agree it was a disappointing loss. So close yet so far. Lots of ups and downs. I'm waiting until next week before I can comment. SDpoke needs a hobby.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

OK. Had a few minutes to process this disappointment. First and foremost, Chambers better pull his head out of his ass with his throws. Right now, he is nothing more than a glorified RB pretending to be a QB. The thing that sets a QB from a RB is the ability to put the ball in receivers hands. Granted, he was able to do that sparingly and our WRs forgot to take the bricks out of those fancy "catchin' gloves" they all wear. But for the mostpart, it looked as if he was either playing slowpitch softball or throwing 90+ mph heaters. He needs to quit trying to be a JA and work on being a SC.

Secondly, the D looked outstanding for most of the game except for the last part of the 2nd quarter. Was it naptime?

Lastly, we took a beating with injuries. Probably made the difference in the game overall. Not sure who will step up to fill the many gaps we have now, but someone has to or this season may well be over.....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:29 pm Doesn’t matter what anyone says the offense sucks and has for how many seasons with Bohl at the helm now? If it hasn’t changed by now it isn’t going to.

Wyoming will be lucky to win 6 games this year and most years with this offense. Which is sad since the defense seems to be good again. It is basically Joe Glenn 2.0 as far as offense goes. The other sad part is Wyoming can’t get anyone better than Bohl so we are what we are.
Bohl is good enough. We almost were conference champs in 2016. We were right there! I just don't understand why Bohl won't at least try to change things up on offense. If we can build a top flight MWC defense why can't we build a top flight offense? We can! We are capable of winning MWC championships at Wyoming, but things (coaches) need to change on offense.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:12 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 pm Hoping most all the injuries arent serious.
No update from Reece other than Trey Smith, Titus Swen, Logan Harris, Alonzo Velazquez and Tyler Hall were all the players that did not return.

I recorded the game watched the replay and it looks like Logan Harris was literally knocked out. I hope he is ok and loved to see the thumbs up, but with that type of possible concussion he might be out for the season at a minimum. Just a guess.
I just hope he has the use of his legs for the rest of his life
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this the first game we have lost that Sean Chambers started?
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:26 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 pm Hoping most all the injuries arent serious.
No update from Reece other than Trey Smith, Titus Swen, Logan Harris, Alonzo Velazquez and Tyler Hall were all the players that did not return.

I recorded the game watched the replay and it looks like Logan Harris was literally knocked out. I hope he is ok and loved to see the thumbs up, but with that type of possible concussion he might be out for the season at a minimum. Just a guess.
News from Facebook is that Logan Harris walked onto the team plane.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Praise the Lord. Seriously
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Whew...was fearing a neck injury
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

There wasn't a Wyoming fan alive that thought we'd be 4-0. The most opportunistic ones were 3-1 at best. Yeah....we should have won this game but we are just not that good of a team at least on offense. I have no issue with Chambers trying to win the game there. Tulsa got lucky today. Two major no calls that cost us points plus every little break was there's. We could not get our team in sync....our offense showed up late and our defense broke when it mattered. As bad as we played, we were a yard away from winning and that's not too bad. It hurts but it's a meaningless game when considering that we have conference now. Our coaches deserve to feel the sting of that loss with our poor scheme.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:28 pm There wasn't a Wyoming fan alive that thought we'd be 4-0. The most opportunistic ones were 3-1 at best. Yeah....we should have won this game but we are just not that good of a team at least on offense. I have no issue with Chambers trying to win the game there. Tulsa got lucky today. Two major no calls that cost us points plus every little break was there's. We could not get our team in sync....our offense showed up late and our defense broke when it mattered. As bad as we played, we were a yard away from winning and that's not too bad. It hurts but it's a meaningless game when considering that we have conference now. Our coaches deserve to feel the sting of that loss with our poor scheme.
Most had our loss coming against Mizzou though. And yeah, I agree some pretty iffy calling by the refs at bad times, but those alone didn't really doom us to the loss. Stacks of injuries, bad execution on play calls, etc.

When Chambers finally settled down in the 4th quarter, his passing was decent. But he really needs someone that can actually coach QBs to help him with his throwing, like what Josh finally got when he went to Buffalo.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 pm Offense sucks but if your down in this team you need to f-word off.
I totally agree. We're 7-1 in our last 8 games with wins against our over the border rivals, Howdy Dowdy and Missouri. We'll probably win our next 3 games and be 6-1 and bowl eligible. I'd like to see some excitement with the O, but overall I'm fairy pleased with the state of things. If you're down on this team, you need to take Marcus' advice.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I saw signs the offense is improving and will continue to improve. After getting benched, Sean showed better touch on the ball. And a couple guys made nice catches. Doing that more often will lead to improved conifidence and improved passing stats.

The Pokes were in a bad spot when they were down to an inaffective 4th string running back. The O was inaffective at that point until after Sean came back from the benching. And still had a very good opportunity to get a nice win on the road. Sean is a warrior, but needed to hold on to the ball.

Tough loss and the injury bug hit hard. Hopefully we get most of these guys back.

The Pokes need to get back in the win column next week and keep it going.

Go Pokes!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

So, any word on the numerous injuries we got yesterday?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Damn. Lots of sky falling on here. Was out of cell range during the game but listened. Game we should have stolen but by no means is the season over. Good lord people. We all knew this team wasn’t going undefeated. 7-8 wins is still easily attainable.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 pm
Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:28 pm There wasn't a Wyoming fan alive that thought we'd be 4-0. The most opportunistic ones were 3-1 at best. Yeah....we should have won this game but we are just not that good of a team at least on offense. I have no issue with Chambers trying to win the game there. Tulsa got lucky today. Two major no calls that cost us points plus every little break was there's. We could not get our team in sync....our offense showed up late and our defense broke when it mattered. As bad as we played, we were a yard away from winning and that's not too bad. It hurts but it's a meaningless game when considering that we have conference now. Our coaches deserve to feel the sting of that loss with our poor scheme.
Most had our loss coming against Mizzou though. And yeah, I agree some pretty iffy calling by the refs at bad times, but those alone didn't really doom us to the loss. Stacks of injuries, bad execution on play calls, etc.

When Chambers finally settled down in the 4th quarter, his passing was decent. But he really needs someone that can actually coach QBs to help him with his throwing, like what Josh finally got when he went to Buffalo.
Sadly I think we are seeing peak or near peak Chambers throwing ability. The key word here is ability...not mechanics...ability. Every athlete is limited in some way...Throwing passes seems kind of like free-throws. You can coach up to a certain level and beyond that it is more individual ability that is the limiting factor. Some guys just have some innate something that lets them get beyond where everybody else is at. Chambers and Vanderwall also have the dubious distinction of following one of the all time greats at QB at Wyoming. There was almost zero percent chance that the QB following Allen was going to be anywhere close to his level.

Now, Chambers brings some other things to the table, so it's not like he is a bust back there...but it is frustrating to watch sometimes, and having Chambers behind center has also coincided with a group of WR that are not doing him any favors.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 pm Damn. Lots of sky falling on here. Was out of cell range during the game but listened. Game we should have stolen but by no means is the season over. Good lord people. We all knew this team wasn’t going undefeated. 7-8 wins is still easily attainable.
And we were only 2 lousy yards and dumb assed bad timing of a fumble away from being 4-0.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

307bball wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:28 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Sadly I think we are seeing peak or near peak Chambers throwing ability. The key word here is ability...not mechanics...ability. Every athlete is limited in some way...Throwing passes seems kind of like free-throws. You can coach up to a certain level and beyond that it is more individual ability that is the limiting factor. Some guys just have some innate something that lets them get beyond where everybody else is at. Chambers and Vanderwall also have the dubious distinction of following one of the all time greats at QB at Wyoming. There was almost zero percent chance that the QB following Allen was going to be anywhere close to his level.

Now, Chambers brings some other things to the table, so it's not like he is a bust back there...but it is frustrating to watch sometimes, and having Chambers behind center has also coincided with a group of WR that are not doing him any favors.
Are you a qb coach in a different life? You've determined that a freshman qb has reached his limits? In what way? He can throw it a long way. The throw to Okwalli on 4th down was like threading the needle. He needs to be more consistent - but he's a freshman in an offense that emphasizes running!

You mentioned Josh Allen. Posters on this board were complaining about his accuracy 2 years ago. Let me clue you in - Trevor Lawrence isn't coming here. But the talent is here already - it needs to be coached better. Oh, one last thing - throwing a pass to a moving target with 300 pounders trying to take your head off is not like shooting free throws.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

Tough loss. Not our day. 2 of the next three games are against awful teams. Its not the end of the world.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wyokie wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:29 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 pm Damn. Lots of sky falling on here. Was out of cell range during the game but listened. Game we should have stolen but by no means is the season over. Good lord people. We all knew this team wasn’t going undefeated. 7-8 wins is still easily attainable.
And we were only 2 lousy yards and dumb assed bad timing of a fumble away from being 4-0.
if Chambers doesn't fumble, we kick a field goal and go to overtime with a depleted team. I give us a 25% chance of winning in that scenario.

What we were is a conversion on 4th and 12th with a tremendous grab by the Tulsa receiver that led to a touchdown at the end of the game from being 4-0.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I'm honestly just happy they showed there's no quitting in the team even after all those injuries and being down like that. That takes character.