Wyo @ Tulsa

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:06 pm I'm honestly just happy they showed there's no quitting in the team even after all those injuries and being down like that. That takes character.
True. They don't quit. Loss aside;

However, all of those injuries are going to hurt going forward. Valladay will be back (though he played a lot in the 2nd half), but behind him is a big question mark. Harris is probably on concussion protocol for a few weeks I imagine. Our secondary is looking rough...

Yeah.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

3-1 is nothing to squabble over. Didn't get there the way many expected, but tbh 2-2 wouldn't have shocked anyone. Didn't hit best case scenario, but they were much closer to it than "meh" or worst case scenario.

This team can finish 8-5. Offense is nothing to fear, but frankly Wyoming's biggest threat is the injury bug kicking its ass. This is a TON of injuries for the third week of September.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

J-Rod wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:50 pm This team can finish 8-5. Offense is nothing to fear, but frankly Wyoming's biggest threat is the injury bug kicking its ass. This is a TON of injuries for the third week of September.
Thankfully we have the bye week coming up.

Unfortunately we've already had several season enders. :(
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:24 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:28 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 pm
Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:28 pm There wasn't a Wyoming fan alive that thought we'd be 4-0. The most opportunistic ones were 3-1 at best. Yeah....we should have won this game but we are just not that good of a team at least on offense. I have no issue with Chambers trying to win the game there. Tulsa got lucky today. Two major no calls that cost us points plus every little break was there's. We could not get our team in sync....our offense showed up late and our defense broke when it mattered. As bad as we played, we were a yard away from winning and that's not too bad. It hurts but it's a meaningless game when considering that we have conference now. Our coaches deserve to feel the sting of that loss with our poor scheme.
Most had our loss coming against Mizzou though. And yeah, I agree some pretty iffy calling by the refs at bad times, but those alone didn't really doom us to the loss. Stacks of injuries, bad execution on play calls, etc.

When Chambers finally settled down in the 4th quarter, his passing was decent. But he really needs someone that can actually coach QBs to help him with his throwing, like what Josh finally got when he went to Buffalo.
Sadly I think we are seeing peak or near peak Chambers throwing ability. The key word here is ability...not mechanics...ability. Every athlete is limited in some way...Throwing passes seems kind of like free-throws. You can coach up to a certain level and beyond that it is more individual ability that is the limiting factor. Some guys just have some innate something that lets them get beyond where everybody else is at. Chambers and Vanderwall also have the dubious distinction of following one of the all time greats at QB at Wyoming. There was almost zero percent chance that the QB following Allen was going to be anywhere close to his level.

Now, Chambers brings some other things to the table, so it's not like he is a bust back there...but it is frustrating to watch sometimes, and having Chambers behind center has also coincided with a group of WR that are not doing him any favors.
Are you a qb coach in a different life? You've determined that a freshman qb has reached his limits? In what way? He can throw it a long way. The throw to Okwalli on 4th down was like threading the needle. He needs to be more consistent - but he's a freshman in an offense that emphasizes running!

You mentioned Josh Allen. Posters on this board were complaining about his accuracy 2 years ago. Let me clue you in - Trevor Lawrence isn't coming here. But the talent is here already - it needs to be coached better. Oh, one last thing - throwing a pass to a moving target with 300 pounders trying to take your head off is not like shooting free throws.
I'm just a college sports junkie and pokes fan like the rest of you (i assume)

I'm sorry that you missed the point so badly. Please refer to the word ability...this is not coachable or teachable. Technique, mechanics, fundamentals ... all coach-able. To use free throws as an example (because it is easy to understand), Reggie Miller has amazing ability as a free-throw shooter while Shaq has below average free throw shooting ability. Shaq could have practiced nothing but free-throws for his entire career and he still would not have sniffed the percentages that Miller was able to generate. This, however, is only one facet of the game of basketball...i'm not claiming Reggie Miller was better than Shaq because he had such amazing ability as a free-throw shooter..just pointing out a fairly large disparity in ability in one facet of the sport.

Now, Chambers has a big arm...that much is obvious. There are certain aspects of throwing a football that you can't "coach" into a guy just like you cant "coach" somebody into being a better free-throw shooter. There is some grey area in certain guys seemingly able to "unlock" an athletes potential, but I don't think there is some untapped reservoir of accuracy in Chambers that is just waiting for the right coach to make it manifest. We are talking about the upper echelon of sports here...do you really think the difference in Alabama football and everyone else is coaching?..that is the biggest laugh I've heard. Saban's a good coach but he's bring guns to a knife fight at least 8 games per season.

The reason I brought up Allen was to point out that there was no way that his replacement was going to be at his level AS A QB (not just as a passer), and the drop off is pretty hard to swallow. Allen is actually a good example of an "innacurate" good quarterback. The Inverse would be a guy like Kellen Moore....I don't know that you get much more accurate than that guy...he was incredible in college but had holes in his game that made it difficult to succeed at the pro level.

You mentioned Trevor Lawrence...excellent example of crazy level of ability...Dude is a freshman and won a Title because he's a complete stud, not because Dabo molded him into what he is.

Finally ... you are correct in the statement that there are not a lot of things about evading large rushers as a QB that are like free throws. My contention was never that they are the same (or even similar). We are talking about a small part of each sport that is very "ability" driven. That is all...I don't think Chambers has the ABILITY to be an above average passer...Does not mean he can't have a hell of a career at Wyoming. Just means that I'd bet the house payment that he does it a less conventional way (which a lot of college QB's do btw).
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I had a bad feeling that the awful message I wrote on here Saturday night was not me imagining things. Sure enough, there it is. As a man I want to apologize to Oredigger and anyone else I offended with my messages. I'm not going to get into it, but about 15 beers combined with some family issues did not make a good time to be on a message board. I'm ashamed and my mother would be ashamed of me. You're right, Ore, I'm pretty disgusting and I feel terrible about it. I think I will just shut up for a while and stick with the spread game. There's no excuse for what I said. We disagree a lot, but I always try to keep it respectful, which obviously I did not do. Again, very sorry. Go Pokes.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:29 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 pm Damn. Lots of sky falling on here. Was out of cell range during the game but listened. Game we should have stolen but by no means is the season over. Good lord people. We all knew this team wasn’t going undefeated. 7-8 wins is still easily attainable.
And we were only 2 lousy yards and dumb assed bad timing of a fumble away from being 4-0.
Eh it goes both ways we are also only 2 defensive TDS away from being 1-3
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 am I had a bad feeling that the awful message I wrote on here Saturday night was not me imagining things. Sure enough, there it is. As a man I want to apologize to Oredigger and anyone else I offended with my messages. I'm not going to get into it, but about 15 beers combined with some family issues did not make a good time to be on a message board. I'm ashamed and my mother would be ashamed of me. You're right, Ore, I'm pretty disgusting and I feel terrible about it. I think I will just shut up for a while and stick with the spread game. There's no excuse for what I said. We disagree a lot, but I always try to keep it respectful, which obviously I did not do. Again, very sorry. Go Pokes.
Thank you. I appreciate it and your apology is accepted.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

I worked nights this past weekend, so I didn't get to watch or follow the game. But from what I am reading here, looks like we dropped the ball. I hope we can recover and use the bye week to focus and recuperate.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am I worked nights this past weekend, so I didn't get to watch or follow the game. But from what I am reading here, looks like we dropped the ball. I hope we can recover and use the bye week to focus and recuperate.
We get UNLV in Laramie before the bye week.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 am I had a bad feeling that the awful message I wrote on here Saturday night was not me imagining things. Sure enough, there it is. As a man I want to apologize to Oredigger and anyone else I offended with my messages. I'm not going to get into it, but about 15 beers combined with some family issues did not make a good time to be on a message board. I'm ashamed and my mother would be ashamed of me. You're right, Ore, I'm pretty disgusting and I feel terrible about it. I think I will just shut up for a while and stick with the spread game. There's no excuse for what I said. We disagree a lot, but I always try to keep it respectful, which obviously I did not do. Again, very sorry. Go Pokes.
This is probably the best post you've had on this forum. Kudos for the doing the hardest thing in todays society, admitting you f-word up. Takes a big person.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The pass blocking leaves much to be desired. There are some glaring weaknesses with this team right now and injuries are not helping. The Idaho game was the first indicator this team ins't firing on all cylinders. Was hoping they would prove me wrong against Tulsa. I'm proud of the comeback and the kids didn't quit but Tulsa is a team you beat if you are going to compete for the MWC title.

Chambers is going to be a fine QB but it wouldn't hurt for him to get some WR's to throw to and some time to do so. The offense is lost right now and this team is at a critical point of where the season goes from here.
I'm good for 3!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am
Thank you. I appreciate it and your apology is accepted.
I just read this. I couldn’t bring myself to read it for seven months. Thank you guys.