Bold Decisions Must Be Made To Take Wyoming Football To The Next Level

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Here's the real litmus test- how many teams has Bohl had to fight off to keep Vigen where he is? How many have come a callin', looking for their next OC or HC?

Somehow there are folks here who've gotten the notion that holding Bohl (and hence, Vigen) accountable for all phases of the game and the results they produce may cost us Bohl. This is a very unproductive mindset. No one person is bigger than the program and no one is indispensable to it, including Bohl. He is the highest paid executive in the State, and this season he was the highest paid coach in the conference. Pay like that comes with expected deliverables. Bohl damn well knows that. He's been around D1 College Football for decades. To have that conversation with him, about offensive productivity, its history under him, and its impact on W's and L's is a conversation he should expect. If his response to that conversation is anything other than "I own it, and we'll do what we need to do to bring those numbers up," then it would probably become a conversation about who works for whom and that UW won't allow anyone to hijack our program for themselves. I seriously doubt that's a conversation we would have to have with Craig Bohl, but every executive who has people under him has to be prepared to have that conversation.

If Bohl's response is to own the performance deficit on the offensive side (which there clearly is, anyone arguing otherwise is disingenuous) and stand by Vigen, fine. If, with next season's rather favorable schedule we are still in the bottom sixth of offensive production, then Bohl should understand that bonuses and extensions are now on the table for discussion, not automatic and done. If he has a problem with that, then it's time for a frank conversation about deliverables and performance. If there's a problem with that, then it's on to the conversation about who works for whom. Personally, I doubt it comes to that.

To sum it up, I believe Craig Bohl is both smart and wise. Vigen's career ceiling has to be obvious to the boss. The boss isn't going to allow a subordinate's ceiling to be his own. It's not what executives do, especially when they're paid $2M+ per year with multiple years guaranteed. That way lies cause.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:03 pm So, it seems we have 3 clear camps.
1. Bohl/Vigen all the way.
2. Bohl yes, Vigen no.
3. Bohl is not the answer!
I put myself in camp 2. The reason being is after year 2 when we were 2-10 following a 4-8 season, I thought both coordinators looked overmatched for their job. I think Bohl should have changed both coordinators after that season. I still think had he done that we win a mw championship in year three and we win the championship this year in year six. Instead he was a year too late on the defensive coordinator and he's four years and counting too late on the offensive coordinator