Ready to be a P5 farm league?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... no-penalty

"The NCAA Division I transfer waiver working group is considering a concept that would allow athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting out a year of competition"
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I saw this and it would be the end of the G5.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

D1 is a total joke anymore, haves vs the have nots
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Bleh. This is the only thing that keeps the MWC and other conferences like us alive
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I support the rule change even if it is likely to be detrimental to our on field football success. Coaches come and go all the time and players should be afforded the same opportunity. There are a whole host of reasons why a student-athlete may desire to transfer (move closer to home, playing time, switching academic programs, coaching changes, etc..). Students should not be penalized because they later determine that a decision which they made at the age of 17 is no longer right from them.

By the way, the transfer rule without penalty in another sport actually greatly helped Wyoming. Some might recall that Bryce Meredith committed to and wrestled for North Carolina State for a year because NC State was a 'bigger' program than Wyoming with recent top recruiting classes. Bryce became a starter at NC State as a true freshman but decided that he preferred to be closer to family in his home state. Well he transfers to Wyoming and is eligible immediately and becomes a National Finalist as a true sophomore for Wyoming. The rest is history.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

It will hurt the P5 teams as well. Think of how many 2and string players will transfer in hopes of being a starter somewhere else.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I'm in favor of the rule change as well. Let's say you're recruited to CU and play one year and now the coach leaves. That's not what the player signed up for. Coaches are allowed to come and go without sitting out. Players should be as well.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

The one thing I would like to see is some sort of anti-tampering rule in place somewhat like the professional leagues have. I don't want programs coming in and recruiting current players of other programs. Enter the transfer portal first then let recruiting commence. That may be how the rules are, I don't know.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:51 pm The one thing I would like to see is some sort of anti-tampering rule in place somewhat like the professional leagues have. I don't want programs coming in and recruiting current players of other programs. Enter the transfer portal first then let recruiting commence. That may be how the rules are, I don't know.
Maybe also a system like comp picks but use scholarships. If a player leaves and plays significant minutes at the new school the next year, then the school he left gets an additional scholarship added to their limit.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

This rule would allow the whole f-word team to transfer. Lose a coach and 3/4 of the team could transfer and you’ve been essentially been dealt the death penalty.

See kids also getting their scholarships not renewed as much. The strongest will become stronger as missing on a recruit will no longer be a worry. The haves will get even deeper I think.
W-Y, Until I Die!
SheepSlayer
Buckaroo

Transfers go both ways. Its not just kids going from a small school to a big school after a breakout season. There are 4 star recruits riding the bench at Bama and Ohio St who would be stars at a school like Wyoming. Now we most likely wouldn't get any of them, but those kids might transfer to a crappy P5 program like Nebraska and then some of their kids might transfer to Wyoming. Who knows, it might hurt us in the end but if it does it will hurt most the G5 teams equally and its not like the G5 is in the same universe as P5 anyway so what is there to lose?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:40 am This rule would allow the whole f##k[#] team to transfer. Lose a coach and 3/4 of the team could transfer and you’ve been essentially been dealt the death penalty.
Not really. There are scholarship limits in place. Very few FBS schools could even acquire more than a couple of players. Sure, there are plenty of FCS schools that are not at their scholarship limits...but that has always been an option to transfer to FCS penalty free.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:40 am This rule would allow the whole f##k[#] team to transfer. Lose a coach and 3/4 of the team could transfer and you’ve been essentially been dealt the death penalty.

See kids also getting their scholarships not renewed as much. The strongest will become stronger as missing on a recruit will no longer be a worry. The haves will get even deeper I think.
I 100% agree. No longer will schools like Wyoming get rewarded for finding diamonds in the rough. The big programs will end up with boarder line NFL rosters. FBS will consolidate to the top 25 percent of programs or so and I for one am not going to have anything to do with that poop.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

This really doesn't change much. Players have always come in played a year showed what the ycan do and transfer somewhere else. See Josh Doctson. Sure they had to sit out a year but I don't think that is a big deterant if they are just looking to move on to bigger things. Plus lately they have been pretty generous in granting waivers to players to play right away. Plus the senior transfer has been around a while and hasn't killed us.

The rule is fair. Most sports in the NCAA allow it so why not others. As others have said coaches can leave so players should have a chance as well(just once). And I could see some decent players leaving big programs to come down as well. Its too early to see all the effects but I think the doom and gloom is bit premature and overblown.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

TSpoke wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:56 amI think the doom and gloom is bit premature and overblown.
Totally agree. I saw a take on twitter that compared the knee-jerk reactions of this rule to the knee-jerk reactions from another rule from 1986; the addition of the 3 point line.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:20 am
TSpoke wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:56 amI think the doom and gloom is bit premature and overblown.
Totally agree. I saw a take on twitter that compared the knee-jerk reactions of this rule to the knee-jerk reactions from another rule from 1986; the addition of the 3 point line.
Except the 3 point line had nothing to do with players leaving. I do agree, though, it likely will only pertain to NFL- level talent. Just a few players for us, many years, none.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Coaches leaving pay a penalty. There’s buyouts. They don’t come and go so freely as you all make it seem. There’s plenty a poop and hiring that’s been prevented because of a buyout. The new rule is nothing like the coaching thing unless the college that gains the player paid for 2 scholarships for the losing school. Call it compensatory scholarships lol
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ers-saying
Power 5 head coach

"Group of 5: It's going to kill them. They're going to be our G League. They'll be our little amateur league where we'll draw good players from. Every kid wants to play in the Power 5. I don't care what you say, that's what you want."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:11 am https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ers-saying
Power 5 head coach

"Group of 5: It's going to kill them. They're going to be our G League. They'll be our little amateur league where we'll draw good players from. Every kid wants to play in the Power 5. I don't care what you say, that's what you want."
Yeah, this. Anyone who thinks this would be in any way, shape or form beneficial to Wyoming football has their head in the clouds. Would this new transfer stuff be more fair to the players? sure. But it's not going to benefit Wyoming football, that's for sure, and that's what I care about