How "screwed" should we really feel?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:43 am
WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:38 pm Find Wyoming ppl. Train 'em. They will stay around for ever.
Yea - because Wyoming people are automatically immune to making career advancement choices based on commitment to a certain state or program. Just ask Mike Leach.
mmm I think the Wyoming people staying argument is predicated on a more level pay scale....Want to teach in Alabama for a 20% pay increase?...maybe..but if you like where you are you may not. What if the increase was double...or triple. Then things get interesting.
I agree with this. I have turned down numerous jobs in other states at higher pay. But if a party was willing to double or triple my pay, I would certainly entertain the offer. While losing Dickert and other coaches was a tough loss, I can't blame them considering the significant pay increases.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:06 am I agree with this. I have turned down numerous jobs in other states at higher pay. But if a party was willing to double or triple my pay, I would certainly entertain the offer. While losing Dickert and other coaches was a tough loss, I can't blame them considering the significant pay increases.
Yep - I moved out of Wyoming essentially for a 50% pay increase. Sure it added state income tax, but at the time, the housing market was essentially the same in Laramie and Longmont.

That said, it feels like Denver's just eating its way outward and will soon swallow us all.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:57 pm That said, it feels like Denver's just eating its way outward and will soon swallow us all.
Kinda like in Hunger Games? LOL The Capitol is basically Denver in roughly 200 years.

The books are great but the movie series is good but needed help in areas.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:38 pm Find Wyoming ppl. Train 'em. They will stay around for ever.
Yea - because Wyoming people are automatically immune to making career advancement choices based on commitment to a certain state or program. Just ask Mike Leach.
mmm I think the Wyoming people staying argument is predicated on a more level pay scale....Want to teach in Alabama for a 20% pay increase?...maybe..but if you like where you are you may not. What if the increase was double...or triple. Then things get interesting.
I hardly think of Leach as a wyoming guy. He grew up around the country - played football in cody, then went to BYU for a law degree. He somehow managed to get into football after that.

You can change a few things of that around to make him a wyo guy - but he never really called Wyoming home.

And, I know alot of ppl that have come to Wyoming to teach because Wyoming does pay teachers well.

I don't know how long that is going to last though - but there is a huge difference between being where you want at 70k/yr and 90k a year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:14 pm
I hardly think of Leach as a wyoming guy. He grew up around the country - played football in cody, then went to BYU for a law degree. He somehow managed to get into football after that.

You can change a few things of that around to make him a wyo guy - but he never really called Wyoming home.

And, I know alot of ppl that have come to Wyoming to teach because Wyoming does pay teachers well.

I don't know how long that is going to last though - but there is a huge difference between being where you want at 70k/yr and 90k a year.
I'm not making a comment on teaching pay scale...just pointing out that as long as the pay increase is below a certain point, lifestyle and location matter a lot more. The pay increase that coordinators get when they jump from G5 to P5 certainly outweighs a lot in terms of lifestyle and location.