2020 schedule

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:27 pm Utah should give a good snapshot regarding the level of competitiveness now vs teams of old. It's one thing playing a bunch of current MWC also rans but Utah was a pretty solid top MWC team in the heyday. I'm not sure they are quite as good as they were but should be decent and perhaps a little deeper. We'll get a good feel how far we've come from the Glenn years.
Do you mean not as good as they were in the MW? If so that's crazy talk. They have continued to get better in the PAC12 and are usually one of the better teams there. Sure, not as good as the Alex Smith team but most of the years in the MW they were good but I'd say are better now that they have the resources of the PAC vs the MW.

If you mean not as good as last year, then maybe. I don't know what they lost.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

TSpoke wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:43 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:27 pm Utah should give a good snapshot regarding the level of competitiveness now vs teams of old. It's one thing playing a bunch of current MWC also rans but Utah was a pretty solid top MWC team in the heyday. I'm not sure they are quite as good as they were but should be decent and perhaps a little deeper. We'll get a good feel how far we've come from the Glenn years.
Do you mean not as good as they were in the MW? If so that's crazy talk. They have continued to get better in the PAC12 and are usually one of the better teams there. Sure, not as good as the Alex Smith team but most of the years in the MW they were good but I'd say are better now that they have the resources of the PAC vs the MW.

Both. They won't be as good as last season and not as good as the BCS teams.

Bohl vs Utah should be pretty representative of what previous WYO coaches faced. Good litmus test of program advancement vs. schedule getting easier.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:01 am

Bohl vs Utah should be pretty representative of what previous WYO coaches faced. Good litmus test of program advancement vs. schedule getting easier.
What?

Last year's team was arguably the best football team in Utah's history. I will grant that the 2004 team could probably hang with the 2019 team, but I think '19 beats them. So outside of 1 or 2 years, the current Utah squad is significantly better than the MWC version.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:40 am

What?

Last year's team was arguably the best football team in Utah's history. I will grant that the 2004 team could probably hang with the 2019 team, but I think '19 beats them. So outside of 1 or 2 years, the current Utah squad is significantly better than the MWC version.
This.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:40 am

What?

Utes were good last year but lost a bunch, I think. The Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl teams were better. In 09 they beat an 8-5 PAC team.

Those old Ute teams were just as solid but not quite as deep. 1 9 win season followed by 3 10 win seasons to close out their time in the MWC (1 of those being a win over Alabama in a BCS bowl).

This is a perfect litmus test of where we have progressed to. As close to apples to apples as we'll get.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

J-Rod wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am
I think it's fair to say they're much, much deeper. Annually one of the better recruiting programs in the Pac-12. They'll enter 2020 as one of the most inexperienced teams in America, but it'll still be a challenge.
Yep, Utah has been pretty consistent since Urban Meyer left. I attribute it to the Sugar Bowl win over Alabama over a decade ago. I don't know how they do it, must be recruiting, and quietly, the coaching. I would guess the Utes own the state of Utah. They beat the crap out of BYU every year, Weber State and USU are little sisters of the poor compared to them.