Edwards Dismissed

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

DVDA wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:00 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:32 pm I don't mean this too negative, but WYO is becoming a coaching graveyard under Burman. I could see Jans turning it down and waiting for something better.

Good jump for Linder, if he isn't getting other interest.
Is there something going on behind the scenes that is preventing coaches from being successful here or was Edwards simply a bad hire? I think you can look at the football program to see winning will get the fans involved. Do basketball players not have access to the high altitude training facility? The AA renovation was sort of botched, but it's still a pretty solid building to play in compared to a lot of places. If you get rid of of the trash associated with the program and start completely fresh then I think Wyoming will be a decently attractive opportunity for Jans and Kinder.
I'm sure there are lots of reasons; I just don't think we have the pull for someone like Jans who can bide his time until a more appealing offer comes. With that said and as bladerunner pointed out, money talks. I think Jans makes more than Edwards did. I have no idea how much Burman has to work with, but I'm guessing Jans would require a substantial pay bump from where he is now which is ballpark of 600k with base + bonuses, etc. Without a big pay bump, I just don't see how the job would be more appealing than many other mid-major jobs. I could be totally wrong.

Kinder? I can certainly see us as a stepping stone for lower divisions and think we'd be competitive for someone like that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

I would really like to see Linder. However, UNC could win the Big Sky tourney. If that happens there might be more schools in the market for him.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Get this right Burman and soon!!!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

A few more names tossed around here as Burman swims upstream looking for more "rich basketball tradition" on his watch:

Link: https://www.7220sports.com/vacancy-5-co ... ver-at-uw/
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Also wasn't a fan of bringing in Miles. He might have had a high floor but not a high ceiling. He was good not great at CSU.

I like the UNC guy or the NMSU guy. I hope we find some money and do this right. If we half ass it we will be back here again in a couple years. Maybe find a bigger name that we hadn't thought of. Like the Craig Bohl hire. out of nowhere and a homerun
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I can tell you one thing, if I were king for a day, I would let Burman know his job is on the line and if he swings and misses with this hire, he is gone, gone, gone.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CowboyNV wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 am I can tell you one thing, if I were king for a day, I would let Burman know his job is on the line and if he swings and misses with this hire, he is gone, gone, gone.
Burman has been able to hire more Head coaches than many AD's combined. So I doubt his job is on the line. Burman has put himself in a position where there is no concern over job security for bad hires.

Most AD's are tied to the success their initial Football & Basketball hires. I give Burman props, he has found a way to avoid that.
I'm good for 3!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 am Also wasn't a fan of bringing in Miles. He might have had a high floor but not a high ceiling. He was good not great at CSU.

I like the UNC guy or the NMSU guy. I hope we find some money and do this right. If we half A$$ it we will be back here again in a couple years. Maybe find a bigger name that we hadn't thought of. Like the Craig Bohl hire. out of nowhere and a homerun
This name was floated by another Wyoming fan on social media: Ben McCollum. If you want an "out of nowhere" hire who can flat-out coach, he is an interesting look. Ben coaches at DII Northwest Missouri State and has compiled a 272-76 record in 11 seasons with two national championships. He's 69-1 in the last two seasons and played Duke within six points (69-63) in an exhibition game at Cameron Indoor.

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said, "We beat an outstanding team tonight. They're accustomed to winning basketball games. Great crowd. They have a great following."

Duke-69 NW MO ST-63: https://bearcatsports.com/news/2019/10/ ... ition.aspx

Ben McCollum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum

Unfortunately, Burman is under pressure to make a splash here (if "splash" is the correct word here with the current condition and image of the Cowboy program.) The money and other enticements need to be there in order to lift this program.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Billy Gillespie? Coached at Texas A&M rebuilding from a horrible team, then at Kentucky. I think he is coaching a D2 or D3 team now
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Could Tom Burman expound on these comments by Miles?

TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

POKE FAN wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:46 pm Could Tom Burman expound on these comments by Miles?

Why would we be interested?
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:21 pm
Why would we be interested?
Whether Wyoming fans wanted Miles or not, I think some would be interested as to why Tim would be interested in potentially rebuilding some "mid-major", but have no interest in Wyoming "for a lot of different reasons". A lot? Money? Current perception of the program? Fan support that has cratered? Small town? Miles figuring he only has one more quality rodeo at age 54?

With past ties to the MWC, I think Burman would certainly have reached out to Miles for level of interest at some point. There were quite a few Nebraska fans who thought Miles was a/the prime candidate for the Wyoming job before Edwards got canned. I certainly got the impression they knew something through the grapevine. Obviously, they didn't.

Burman cannot swing and miss on this next hire.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Hard pass on Miles. The guy is a snake oil salesman huckster-type
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

NDSUS Richman is awaiting your call
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

For all you Tim Miles fans...simply put - no f-word way would that be a good hire. He is CSewe scum, through and through. He was average at CSewe, and average at Knebraska - he would be average here. Eff him.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

POKE FAN wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:04 pm
Great, another flood of beezun fans coming to our forum
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:43 am For all you Tim Miles fans...simply put - no f##k[#] way would that be a good hire. He is CSewe scum, through and through. He was average at CSewe, and average at Knebraska - he would be average here. Eff him.
Not for nothing...do we get to turn our noses up at average at this point? I don't think it's a given that the Bball program is above .500 two years from now. Program is in a deeeep hole right now. Lots of talk about "home run" hires right now...I say choke up on the bat and make some freaking contact.

(this is in no way a commentary about Tim Miles...I have no opinion on him)
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

So will the tournament being canceled, I guess that should speed up the hiring process right? Don't have to wait on the coaches who would have been in it?
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

DVDA wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:00 pmIs there something going on behind the scenes that is preventing coaches from being successful here or was Edwards simply a bad hire?
well recruiting to Laramie is incredibly difficult. If a kid can go to San Diego St, they're gonna go to San Diego St. If they can go to Colorado St, they're probably gonna choose to spend their college days in Fort Collins over Laramie. If a kid can go to Tulane they're probably gonna go to Tulane over Wyoming. It's a tough place to win recruiting battles in the best of times. And with the current economic outlook in the state of Wyoming, it's not the best of times. The financial picture across the state and the cuts to higher education and UW have made life more difficult for WYO head coaches, without a doubt.

But it was also a bad hire. They didn't conduct a national search. I mean, come on they didn't even try to conduct the best search possible. I suspect that was the result of the major cuts to higher ed funding at the state level but still, bad hire.