Spring Football - Unlikely

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

A bit of speculation but - Look for an announcement likely tomorrow that UW will be going to online only instruction beginning Friday or so and perhaps for the remainder of the semester. Spring sports may still be played but expect that fans won’t be allowed in attendance. In light of this, I expect that there will be no spring football.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Ugh. I get we need to listen to the scientists who know what's up, but has there been a case yet diagnosed in Wyoming yet?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:19 pm A bit of speculation but - Look for an announcement likely tomorrow that UW will be going to online only instruction beginning Friday or so and perhaps for the remainder of the semester. Spring sports may still be played but expect that fans won’t be allowed in attendance. In light of this, I expect that there will be no spring football.
Disagree. Had a conference call with University officials today about this very thing. They're keeping an eye on things, but cancelling classes and/or sports are not being looked at as of 2:00 this afternoon.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:59 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:19 pm A bit of speculation but - Look for an announcement likely tomorrow that UW will be going to online only instruction beginning Friday or so and perhaps for the remainder of the semester. Spring sports may still be played but expect that fans won’t be allowed in attendance. In light of this, I expect that there will be no spring football.
Disagree. Had a conference call with University officials today about this very thing. They're keeping an eye on things, but cancelling classes and/or sports are not being looked at as of 2:00 this afternoon.
That might be changing. First confirmed case in Wyoming, up in Sheridan. If anything does happen, expect an announcement tomorrow or Friday.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:02 pm
That might be changing. First confirmed case in Wyoming, up in Sheridan. If anything does happen, expect an announcement tomorrow or Friday.
There was a confirmed case at the Cox Center of one of the NBA players for Utah having it. As of now, the remainder of the 2019-2020 NBA Season has been put on hold.

Betca UW won't have graduation ceremonies in May.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Things have changed since 2:00 this afternoon and Theobald is meeting at 8:00 AM with the ‘Covid Task Force.’
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

phxpoke wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:54 pm Ugh. I get we need to listen to the scientists who know what's up, but has there been a case yet diagnosed in Wyoming yet?
Yes. As stated in Sheridan. Denver is now considered a domestic ‘hot spot’ for Covid. Tip of the iceberg unfortunately.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 am
phxpoke wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:54 pm Ugh. I get we need to listen to the scientists who know what's up, but has there been a case yet diagnosed in Wyoming yet?
Yes. As stated in Sheridan. Denver is now considered a domestic ‘hot spot’ for Covid. Tip of the iceberg unfortunately.
I think it's important to realize that because our reactions to this were so incredibly slow, there weren't even tests available in most places until very recently... it also means it's already spread way more than it had to to begin with.

I'm not saying people should panic, nor that we should have panicked before - but we definitely could have limited the spread of this had it been taken serious from the get go... and if the Pandemic Response Team hadn't been fired/laid off and not replaced in 2018.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 am
I think it's important to realize that because our reactions to this were so incredibly slow, there weren't even tests available in most places until very recently... it also means it's already spread way more than it had to to begin with.

I'm not saying people should panic, nor that we should have panicked before - but we definitely could have limited the spread of this had it been taken serious from the get go... and if the Pandemic Response Team hadn't been fired/laid off and not replaced in 2018.
If only society cared about Heart Disease or Obesity or curing cancer as much as they do for 2020's flavor of the month apocalyptic virus scare....
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am If only society cared about Heart Disease or Obesity or curing cancer as much as they do for 2020's flavor of the month apocalyptic virus scare....
I mean, we spend a crap ton of money on those already and they also don't spread from person to person, so that's a pretty terrible comparison.

Why worry about the plague when people are dying from traffic accidents?

Are you saying we shouldn't attempt preventing the spread of something that currently has a 3.5% mortality rate? It spreads very similar to the flu, which 30-50 Million people a year get in the United States. Thankfully, the normal flu has a very low mortality rate.

But there's also the secondary concern... 20% of those getting COVID-19 get hospitalized, which means a full-blown spread will kill more Cancer and Heart patients that now won't have access to healthcare.

Once again, I'm not advocating panic. I'm just saying that maybe limiting large conferences and sporting events isn't a dumb idea.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am If only society cared about Heart Disease or Obesity or curing cancer as much as they do for 2020's flavor of the month apocalyptic virus scare....
I mean, we spend a crap ton of money on those already and they also don't spread from person to person, so that's a pretty terrible comparison.

Why worry about the plague when people are dying from traffic accidents?

Are you saying we shouldn't attempt preventing the spread of something that currently has a 3.5% mortality rate? It spreads very similar to the flu, which 30-50 Million people a year get in the United States. Thankfully, the normal flu has a very low mortality rate.

But there's also the secondary concern... 20% of those getting COVID-19 get hospitalized, which means a full-blown spread will kill more Cancer and Heart patients that now won't have access to healthcare.

Once again, I'm not advocating panic. I'm just saying that maybe limiting large conferences and sporting events isn't a dumb idea.
Theres more of that fear mongering. If you are between 60-69, you have a 3.6% mortality rate. Or, you are 96.7% likely to beat it. Between 50-59? That mortality rate drops to 1.3% (98.7%). 40-49? 0.4% (99.6%). It only gets better from there. The plague, depending on the strain, was somewhere between 50 and 100% mortality rate for all ages. Not quite the same.

And yes, I will continue to live my life as if this ISN'T the plague because, well, it's not. I have always washed my hands, wiped my A$$, and not coughed on people. This isn't some huge life adjustment. I will certainly not advocate for knee jerk reactions where we cut off our nose over something that in another 3 months we will have completely forgotten happened. Remember Zika? SARS? Bird Flu?
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I think what some people are missing (as some pointed out), it isn't just about the mortality rate. If we don't try to control the spread, hospitals and medical personnel will be overwhelmed. Italy is a mess right now. It seems nuts to basically shut down our economy, but I support some of these drastic measures being taken by private and public organizations because things could get out of hand if it isn't taken seriously.

I doubt we will eradicate Covid-19, but the hope is to control the spread so as to not overwhelm hospitals and hopefully good treatment/vaccines will emerge in the mean time.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 am
Theres more of that fear mongering. If you are between 60-690, you have a 3.6% mortality rate. Or, you are 96.7% likely to beat it. Between 50-59? That mortality rate drops to 1.3% (98.7%). 40-49? 0.4% (99.6%). It only gets better from there. The plague, depending on the strain, was somewhere between 50 and 100% mortality rate for all ages. Not quite the same.

And yes, I will continue to live my life as if this ISN'T the plague because, well, it's not. I have always washed my hands, wiped my A$$, and not coughed on people. This isn't some huge life adjustment. I will certainly not advocate for knee jerk reactions where we cut off our nose over something that in another 3 months we will have completely forgotten happened. Remember Zika? SARS? Bird Flu?
How is it fear mongering to point out what the mortality rate is?

I'm personally not afraid of me getting it, or my family getting it. I know we're at 0.2% mortality rate or lower. However, it'd still suck if 30-50 Million people in the U.S. got this at the same time and a Million people died even if a vast majority of those were over 70. Is that all that hard to comprehend?

This is not Zika, SARS, or the Bird Flu. This spreads way easier, once again.

The reason this is a big deal regardless is the potential slam on the healthcare system if everybody needs it at once.

And good for you that you properly wipe your behind and wash your hands. You'd be surprised how many people don't. It's for them this information is useful, apparently.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Living in the American ground zero... This poop is for real. The only other time I've seen an escalation of measures like this is preparing for a war deployment. My community is tightening the grip daily as positive tests continue to climb. My son's school is preparing to close, all day cares included, by Friday. That basically quarantines either my wife of myself for two weeks at home, wrap your head around the financial obligations. The streets in Seattle are barren, businesses are closing their doors.

I read survivors accounts this morning... What it's like to have it. It ranges, but one 32 year old male said it felt like he was chocking for air, suffocating for days.

I'm just trying to help you guys know what the actual situation is in Washington Tacoma area right now
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 am
Theres more of that fear mongering. If you are between 60-690, you have a 3.6% mortality rate. Or, you are 96.7% likely to beat it. Between 50-59? That mortality rate drops to 1.3% (98.7%). 40-49? 0.4% (99.6%). It only gets better from there. The plague, depending on the strain, was somewhere between 50 and 100% mortality rate for all ages. Not quite the same.

How is it fear mongering to point out what the mortality rate is?

I'm personally not afraid of me getting it, or my family getting it. I know we're at 0.2% mortality rate or lower. However, it'd still suck if 30-50 Million people in the U.S. got this at the same time and a Million people died even if a vast majority of those were over 70. Is that all that hard to comprehend?

This is not Zika, SARS, or the Bird Flu. This spreads way easier, once again.

The reason this is a big deal regardless is the potential slam on the healthcare system if everybody needs it at once.

And good for you that you properly wipe your behind and wash your hands. You'd be surprised how many people don't. It's for them this information is useful, apparently.
It's fear mongering when you apply a blanket statement about mortality rates that isn't true. Had your statement been that elderly folks have a 3.5% mortality rate you would have been spot on. To apply the worst case mortality rate to all infected is feeding the hysteria. If you are under the age of 70 your chance of dying is incredibly low. As far as mortality rates go, Covid 19 is lower than recent viruses such as SARS, MERS, Bird Flu, etc.

Speaking of SARS, Bird Flu etc. I never said they were the same. I implied that like those, in another 3 months no one will care or remember. Just like when those dominated the news cycle and spun everyone into a tizzy. As far as ease of infection versus the others, I dont know. I have seen info that refutes that, I have seen some that confirms it. Again, my point was not comparing the danger of each but the public perception of each as the news cycle moves on.

EDIT: The impact this will have on our economy and medical infrastructure is far scarier than the impact on our societal health. These knee jerk reactions to cancel everything is alarming. Businesses will close for good if this lasts any appreciable amount of time. There is no doubt the run on health care providers will be tremendous.

FURTHER EDIT: I see the study you may have been referencing when you mentioned the 3.5% mortality rate across the board. I also see that the death rates of those 71+ climbs to over 15%. The elderly mortality rate is significantly skewing the rate higher. I guess, we were both right? Either way, discussing it never hurts. My initial comment was just that these flavor of the month scares are peculiar to me that we have people dying of legit illnesses every single day yet these flash in the pans are what get the attention. Back to your regularly scheduled Edwards Bashing and Uniform Combinations fights.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:30 am FURTHER EDIT: I see the study you may have been referencing when you mentioned the 3.5% mortality rate across the board. I also see that the death rates of those 71+ climbs to over 15%. The elderly mortality rate is significantly skewing the rate higher. I guess, we were both right? Either way, discussing it never hurts. My initial comment was just that these flavor of the month scares are peculiar to me that we have people dying of legit illnesses every single day yet these flash in the pans are what get the attention. Back to your regularly scheduled Edwards Bashing and Uniform Combinations fights.
Thanks for your edit. 3.5% was indeed across the board, and I could have been a lot clearer with that. It's totally possible tons of people also show zero symptoms and therefore don't get tested, so that mortality rates are lower than that. We just don't know yet.

I'm definitely not doomsdaying about this - it'd just be nice if people didn't go to work sick and get everybody else sick, you know?

I think one of the potential benefits of this could be that corporations find that having their employees working from home occasionally is a net positive. Unless too many dumbasses just sit around doing nothing. And to be fair, I'm working from home right now and posting on a message board, though I'm also getting things done, so there's that.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:30 am FURTHER EDIT: I see the study you may have been referencing when you mentioned the 3.5% mortality rate across the board. I also see that the death rates of those 71+ climbs to over 15%. The elderly mortality rate is significantly skewing the rate higher. I guess, we were both right? Either way, discussing it never hurts. My initial comment was just that these flavor of the month scares are peculiar to me that we have people dying of legit illnesses every single day yet these flash in the pans are what get the attention. Back to your regularly scheduled Edwards Bashing and Uniform Combinations fights.
Thanks for your edit. 3.5% was indeed across the board, and I could have been a lot clearer with that. It's totally possible tons of people also show zero symptoms and therefore don't get tested, so that mortality rates are lower than that. We just don't know yet.

I'm definitely not doomsdaying about this - it'd just be nice if people didn't go to work sick and get everybody else sick, you know?

I think one of the potential benefits of this could be that corporations find that having their employees working from home occasionally is a net positive. Unless too many dumbasses just sit around doing nothing. And to be fair, I'm working from home right now and posting on a message board, though I'm also getting things done, so there's that.
I am at work and chatting on a message board so cyber loafing can come at any location!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ALL MWC spring sports are now indefinitely suspended!

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Spring Break at the University will be extended for an additional week starting tomorrow and ending March 29. No decisions after March 29 have been made yet as to whether classes will be taught online or in person.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

There is some good to this. We are going to learn alot about keeping the economy going when people can't go into the office.

We are also going to learn how to stop a pandemic before its critical - like the spanish flu.

And maybe, just somehow, we can figure out how to reel in the media to keep people from buying all the toilet paper and water.