Any predictions on the season happening?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Let's keep this one to COVID impacts on the season.

I'm pretty sure most will start with announcements of following a conference only approach. However, I'm wondering if we will even be able to pull that off. I'm thinking we'll start with a conference only and eventually cancel.

If we do go through with a conference only, byu would be screwed. It definitely would be the best part of the pandemic :D
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Utah game has been axed by Pac 12
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

stymeman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:33 pm Utah game has been axed by Pac 12
I hope the game can be rescheduled for later in the decade.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

I'm giving it a 15-20% chance that we have any season.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:28 pm I'm giving it a 15-20% chance that we have any season.
I'm honestly giving it 5-10% chance of it actually happening for the FBS schools. As for the FCS, bunch, 1-2% chance.

Division II on down to the Junior Colleges that do have football....no chance in hell.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

What are the chances of making this season a Spring sport? (assuming we have a vaccine by then)
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:10 am What are the chances of making this season a Spring sport? (assuming we have a vaccine by then)
I'd love to see a spring season if we don't have a fall one. The next question would be when do we make the jump back to fall?

On another note, I'm curious if having a vaccine is going to make any significant difference at this point. I think not enough people will get the vaccine to do enough for herd immunity (I think this year has bred a lot of new anti-vaxxers). Instead, some will get it and some won't. There will be enough that won't get it that there will be a smaller number of new cases but still enough of them that the people who want to overreact, will. There will still be shutdowns in some places to some extent. (Or maybe not since it won't be an election year...)
I'm all for enough people getting immunity in whatever way it takes -- vaccine or naturally. Naturally will take the least time. Vaccine could work if enough people choose to get it, but in honesty, it will likely about as effective as the flu vaccine is year to year. Those problems will make that way of getting herd immunity either impossible or it will all take way too long.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Ugh. I'm just sick to my stomach. College sports won't be able to recover from no football season.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I'm probably in the small minority but I think Wyoming plays some football games this fall. The schedule could look something like this:

New Mexico State
@ Colorado State
New Mexico
@Boise State
@ New Mexico Sate
Colorado State
Boise State
@ New Mexico
('MWC Championship game')

I see it this way:
'MWC East': CSU/Wyoming/New Mexico/Boise (maybe New Mexico State)
'MWC West': Nevada/UNLV/Utah State (maybe BYU)

The academies won't be playing anyone. The military is going to run a tight ship to control coronavirus in its ranks. Other possibilities on the schedule will be: Utah State, UNLV, Nevada and BYU. It is pretty clear that the Cal State system is going to cancel all fall sports (no SJSU, Fresno or SDSU). My sense is Hawaii will follow suit.

The reason I see Utah State sliding over to the 'West' is the BYU attachment and the closer proximity to Reno and Vegas where driving is very feasible but I could see Boise slotting over too.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

My opinion...it is not happening. Neither will any fall sports. Basketball may happen with a delayed start...say January 2021.

I hate this poop. I know that Covid is serious - so is the flu - especially for people with underlying conditions. I blame the media for this f-word mess.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:12 pm My opinion...it is not happening. Neither will any fall sports. Basketball may happen with a delayed start...say January 2021.

I hate this Sh#t. I know that Covid is serious - so is the flu - especially for people with underlying conditions. I blame the media for this f##k[#] mess.
I agree on all points, McPeachy. To add, I blame both the media AND the politicians who are using this pandemic to get votes and get rid of Trump.

BTW, I have one friend from here in Oklahoma who has COVID. Quarantined for the past 13 days now. From what he said on Facebook it's far FAR worse than just the flu. Plus, my best friend from Oklahoma's sister's daughter tested positive for the virus today!!!!

So far none of my Wyoming friends and family has it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:12 pm My opinion...it is not happening. Neither will any fall sports. Basketball may happen with a delayed start...say January 2021.

I hate this Sh#t. I know that Covid is serious - so is the flu - especially for people with underlying conditions. I blame the media for this f##k[#] mess.
I agree on all points, McPeachy. To add, I blame both the media AND the politicians who are using this pandemic to get votes and get rid of Trump.

BTW, I have one friend from here in Oklahoma who has COVID. Quarantined for the past 13 days now. From what he said on Facebook it's far FAR worse than just the flu. Plus, my best friend from Oklahoma's sister's daughter tested positive for the virus today!!!!

I have heard that some people really struggle battling the crap to get better, and others feel it is no worse than a common cold. In other words, it effects people differently. I don't personally want to find out how it would effect me. Never thought I would have a life experience like this. I had to shut down all social media and news for quite a while...
Dear Karma,

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Patriot League is out. No real surprise. I'd expect a lot of the FCS or lower to not even really debate it (I think someone else made that point above).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Wyokie wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm

How about we point the blame where it belongs? The media did not make the President first dismiss it, then invent his own remedies, push drugs that did nothing, and then keep pushing for things to open up before everything was contained. He offered ZERO real leadership, dismissed his experts' advice, politicized mask wearing, held crowded rallies inside, and refused to learn from new information. Guess why Americans are now banned from traveling to Europe for the foreseeable future? We're now the clowns of this planet, and we've deserved people making fun of us, because we're morons.

Germany has a population of 80 Million. They're now down to a couple of hundred new cases a day. They had prevention, testing, and tracing strategies in place - you know, the things that generally works during any given pandemic? New Zealand had an easier time isolating everything, but they're now down to 0-2 new cases a day. Japan has a population of 120 Million and more than 3 times higher population density than us. They're having a second "spike" of 300 cases a day or so, but they're adapting and responding to it. We could have adapted similarly and also opened up carefully with adequate checks in place. But we didn't. We rushed in head-first, declared that mask-wearing was unconstitutional communist bull crap.

The best part: self-proclaimed experts who talk about how the virus isn't all that bad, that this is all overblown, not much worse than the normal flu, when NOBODY ON THIS PLANET KNOWS THE LONG-TERM EFFECTS.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Much respect to everyone and anyone can certainly post what they want.

Was hoping this thread would stay with updates about the season as they unfold.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:53 pm Much respect to everyone and anyone can certainly post what they want.

Sorry - my post kind of blended, then I get lectured. Part of the reason I shut it down for a while. :willybs:
Dear Karma,

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:02 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:53 pm Much respect to everyone and anyone can certainly post what they want.

Sorry - my post kind of blended, then I get lectured. Part of the reason I shut it down for a while. :willybs:
No worries and please stick around. I very much appreciate your posts and inside information especially now when nothing is happening.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

99.4% survivor rate. The pandemic is a joke. But you’re all right, there won’t be a season because the moment half a team “tests positive” the pandemic adult tv promoters will scare administrators into cancelling the season
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm 99.4% survivor rate. The pandemic is a joke. But you’re all right, there won’t be a season because the moment half a team “tests positive” the pandemic adult tv promoters will scare administrators into cancelling the season
This pandemic has killed roughly the population of Wyoming. That's a joke to you?