Embarrassed to be a Cowboy, we need someone like Scott Frost at UW

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

The World Needs More Cowboys. .... oh wait. Until I hear how hard Bohl, Burman, and the new president fought for a season I’ll never donate another dime.

This could be the end of UW sports as we know it and they just rolled over and took it like little b******. Embarrassing and shortsighted. Why not wait until at least the bitter end to surrender. That’s what a Cowboy would do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

I think the MWC jumped the gun on cancelling all fall sports. I would have waited and reacted to whatever the Pee5 decided to do.

If I were Wyoming, I would have pushed for even a limited season...something like home and homes with AFA, Csewe, USU...and anyone else out there that wants to play H&H.

I don't think Wyoming rolled over, they more or less took advice from their scum-assed-f-word-lawyers on what to do, and followed that direction.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 am I think the MWC jumped the gun on cancelling all fall sports. I would have waited and reacted to whatever the Pee5 decided to do.

If I were Wyoming, I would have pushed for even a limited season...something like home and homes with AFA, Csewe, USU...and anyone else out there that wants to play H&H.

I don't think Wyoming rolled over, they more or less took advice from their [#]f##k[#] on what to do, and followed that direction.
McPeachy, you would obviously know this more than I. Don't you think the economics of this don't work? The mwc doesn't get enough tv money to play without fans in the stands. It seems with all the testing protocols and extra precautions, the costs of playing and the potential payout just didn't make sense. I would guess the P5 would be the only conferences that could play without fans. Be interested in your thoughts.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 am I think the MWC jumped the gun on cancelling all fall sports. I would have waited and reacted to whatever the Pee5 decided to do.

I don't think Wyoming rolled over, they more or less took advice from their [#]f##k[#] on what to do, and followed that direction.
McPeachy, you would obviously know this more than I. Don't you think the economics of this don't work? The mwc doesn't get enough tv money to play without fans in the stands. It seems with all the testing protocols and extra precautions, the costs of playing and the potential payout just didn't make sense. I would guess the P5 would be the only conferences that could play without fans. Be interested in your thoughts.
I don't know about this either and interested to hear the thoughts, but we still have to pay the coaches salaries in every sport. Only now we are doing that with no revenue at all. I would have thought the TV money with the new contract giving us at least a little more this year ( I thought about 3 million this year compared to 1 million in the past) could have at least helped with that. Now we have to pay it with no fans, no TV, nothing. The school I think will still be dealing with covid testing due to students on campus. Maybe not quite as much as regular testing of athletes, but that cost I think will still be there even without sports.

I agree that I think mw jumped the gun. Season didn't start for another 7 weeks. Could have waited at least 3 more before deciding
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times

I don't think Wyoming rolled over, they more or less took advice from their scum-assed-f-word-lawyers on what to do, and followed that direction.
No doubt that UW athletics would have still lost money (even with TV revenue, limited fan attendance, etc.), but not to the extent they will now.

Key is, how much of a price tag could you put on being on TV this fall...that exposure would (could be) priceless.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:40 am

No doubt that UW athletics would have still lost money (even with TV revenue, limited fan attendance, etc.), but not to the extent they will now.

Key is, how much of a price tag could you put on being on TV this fall...that exposure would (could be) priceless.
Exactly. Can Wyoming do something like Nebraska is saying. Could Wyoming potentially schedule a full non-conference slate with other FBS schools who do choose to play. All D1 conferences are eventually going to cave in to cancelling the season. A school like UW could potentially pick up some Huge paydays by agreeing to go play a Nebraska, Clemson, etc. if they are looking to fill as schedule as well.
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

If AF gets a couple of games, Burman should be on the horn getting a few games lined up. Screw the MWC. Practice and prep for a few games. At minimum AF, Nebraska, maybe a couple of the Dakota schools, and ?? Charge ahead. If it changes and becomes unworkable, then hey, we tried.

Damn frustrating. Tell the kids that want to play, sign the waiver and play. You don't want to? Fine sit the season out. Clean your poop out and go take the more difficult classes on your plan of study to get them out of the way in your down time.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:35 pm If AF gets a couple of games, Burman should be on the horn getting a few games lined up. Screw the MWC. Practice and prep for a few games. At minimum AF, Nebraska, maybe a couple of the Dakota schools, and ?? Charge ahead. If it changes and becomes unworkable, then hey, we tried.

Damn frustrating. Tell the kids that want to play, sign the waiver and play. You don't want to? Fine sit the season out. Clean your poop out and go take the more difficult classes on your plan of study to get them out of the way in your down time.
I have it on good authority that the vast majority of our defense was going to opt out of the season. Enough of them that it would have completely destroyed our defense this year.

As much as we the fans want to see them play, the players don't want to play. There are a few that do, and they've made themselves heard. A large majority of players are fine with this, though.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I would rather have Bohl than Frost. In fact, I'm praying that Scott Frost becomes the most successful Nebraska coach in history and retires there in 2033, so they never have a desire to hire Bohl.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:35 pm If AF gets a couple of games, Burman should be on the horn getting a few games lined up. Screw the MWC. Practice and prep for a few games. At minimum AF, Nebraska, maybe a couple of the Dakota schools, and ?? Charge ahead. If it changes and becomes unworkable, then hey, we tried.

Damn frustrating. Tell the kids that want to play, sign the waiver and play. You don't want to? Fine sit the season out. Clean your Sh#t out and go take the more difficult classes on your plan of study to get them out of the way in your down time.
I have it on good authority that the vast majority of our defense was going to opt out of the season. Enough of them that it would have completely destroyed our defense this year.

As much as we the fans want to see them play, the players don't want to play. There are a few that do, and they've made themselves heard. A large majority of players are fine with this, though.
Get players that want to play. Stand tall until the last shot is fired. Stand with the SEC, BIG12, and ACC. We are WYO not some pansy ass deal.

The world needs more cowboys just died unless more than words backs it up. FACT!
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

In an attempt to remedy a gross misuse and outright abuse of a name, WYO has agreed to relinquish its nickname of Cowboys and Cowgirls. The university no longer represents those individuals who built such a moniker and are more closely aligned with the rest of liberal universities in the USA.
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Yes, punish the university for a decision made by the conference... makes a lot of sense. Lot of whiners in here that seem to care more about watching a football game than what the players playing the game actually want.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

In a world of sheep, don't be a sheep. Be a Husker, Nittany Lion, or...

Wait, since rams are taken maybe we could be the range sheep?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:35 pm Yes, punish the university for a decision made by the conference... makes a lot of sense. Lot of whiners in here that seem to care more about watching a football game than what the players playing the game actually want.
I'm actually O.K. with the MW postponing the whole season until spring. Better safe than sorry. Some are just pissed there's no football this fall. Watch the NFL for crying out loud...until they have to scrap the season halfway thru....hopefully it won't happen but since it's 2020.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

95% of this is done from a legal standpoint the billions of dollars in lawsuits from life changing issues related to Covid 19 would be astronomical.

Not happy about it but it was done for the right reasons. It’s entirely possible the season could be started later if things get better but let’s be honest we’re roughly a year away from things being better.

You have to look at it like MLB. 11 players from the Marlins tasted positive before a game. Now if grown men can’t social distance and keep themselves healthy how can you even think college kids can?

All sports can learn a lot from the NBA maybe what they did isn’t what everyone wanted but you don’t have half a team testing positive.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OK, OK, I get it. I deleted part about donations. However, it seems early to can the season. If they are worried about players and the heart thing, I think they'd almost be safer in a season because they'll be tested and monitored more closely.

I guess the service academies probably have a different structure from a liability standpoint. The thing is, the chances of an effective vaccine are very low. New treatment? Maybe, but it will take a lot of time. Herd immunity? Hopefully, but also far from a sure thing. In other words, there is a real chance COVID establishes itself similarly to the common cold.

I get canceling the season for now, but any liability for COVID is bs. That needs to be fixed ASAP.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

We could probably get enough transfers to have a good defense...

I like the idea of playing this year and getting lots of $$ from tv, seems fair to demand some premiums this year with a lot of teams off the table. Going the sheeple route never pays off...

Give it a shot

Quit being kitty
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

Nebraska and byu trying time join big12 this season, smart moves

Might happen, and byu isn’t dumb to try now
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm In an attempt to remedy a gross misuse and outright abuse of a name, WYO has agreed to relinquish its nickname of Cowboys and Cowgirls. The university no longer represents those individuals who built such a moniker and are more closely aligned with the rest of liberal universities in the USA.
Rather than being embarrassed to be a cowboy, i'm embarrassed that people in the fanbase are chalking up an extremely complicated situation to the University "aligning with the rest of liberal universities."

All indications are that that UW has handled the pre-season very well from top to bottom. For all the bitching on this site about Tom Burman, the players are publicly supporting him as well as the staff for how they handled it. Seems to me that going the extra mile to do what's required with the ultimate goal in mind seems to be a pretty good trait for Cowboys and Cowgirls. So is taking an unfair outcome on the chin - i'm glad our players and coaches aren't this whiny.

Wyoming is also 48th in deaths per 100,000 from this virus, only Alaska and Hawaii beat us. Calfornia, Nevada and Idaho are not doing well right now. By the time September rolls around, it could be another set of states including ours. The thing about a virus is that you can do everything right in terms of safety and if the guy next to you at the office is going to crowded bars and concerts and shows up sick to work, you're still poop out of luck. Although this outcome was probably inevitable, the poop in Ft. Collins was the nail in the coffin for the Mountain West. The negative press and potential litigation from a situation like that is massive for the conference and the schools themselves, and whether you think players should be paid or not, they aren't now. There was just no way the current NCAA model was going to be compatible with this situation. As someone who believes that turning college sports in to semi-professional is the biggest long-term threat to a school like Wyoming, we have no idea what type of structural changes would have been necessary to play out this season and how that would affect us down the road.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:02 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm In an attempt to remedy a gross misuse and outright abuse of a name, WYO has agreed to relinquish its nickname of Cowboys and Cowgirls. The university no longer represents those individuals who built such a moniker and are more closely aligned with the rest of liberal universities in the USA.
Rather than being embarrassed to be a cowboy, i'm embarrassed that people in the fanbase are chalking up an extremely complicated situation to the University "aligning with the rest of liberal universities."

All indications are that that UW has handled the pre-season very well from top to bottom. For all the bitching on this site about Tom Burman, the players are publicly supporting him as well as the staff for how they handled it. Seems to me that going the extra mile to do what's required with the ultimate goal in mind seems to be a pretty good trait for Cowboys and Cowgirls. So is taking an unfair outcome on the chin - i'm glad our players and coaches aren't this whiny.

Wyoming is also 48th in deaths per 100,000 from this virus, only Alaska and Hawaii beat us. Calfornia, Nevada and Idaho are not doing well right now. By the time September rolls around, it could be another set of states including ours. The thing about a virus is that you can do everything right in terms of safety and if the guy next to you at the office is going to crowded bars and concerts and shows up sick to work, you're still Sh#t out of luck. Although this outcome was probably inevitable, the sh#tshow in Ft. Collins was the nail in the coffin for the Mountain West. The negative press and potential litigation from a situation like that is massive for the conference and the schools themselves, and whether you think players should be paid or not, they aren't now. There was just no way the current NCAA model was going to be compatible with this situation. As someone who believes that turning college sports in to semi-professional is the biggest long-term threat to a school like Wyoming, we have no idea what type of structural changes would have been necessary to play out this season and how that would affect us down the road.
+1