Embarrassed to be a Cowboy, we need someone like Scott Frost at UW

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
User avatar
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Posts: 12706
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Laramie, Home of the Cowboys

bladerunnr wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:02 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm
In an attempt to remedy a gross misuse and outright abuse of a name, WYO has agreed to relinquish its nickname of Cowboys and Cowgirls. The university no longer represents those individuals who built such a moniker and are more closely aligned with the rest of liberal universities in the USA.
Rather than being embarrassed to be a cowboy, i'm embarrassed that people in the fanbase are chalking up an extremely complicated situation to the University "aligning with the rest of liberal universities."

All indications are that that UW has handled the pre-season very well from top to bottom. For all the bitching on this site about Tom Burman, the players are publicly supporting him as well as the staff for how they handled it. Seems to me that going the extra mile to do what's required with the ultimate goal in mind seems to be a pretty good trait for Cowboys and Cowgirls. So is taking an unfair outcome on the chin - i'm glad our players and coaches aren't this whiny.

Wyoming is also 48th in deaths per 100,000 from this virus, only Alaska and Hawaii beat us. Calfornia, Nevada and Idaho are not doing well right now. By the time September rolls around, it could be another set of states including ours. The thing about a virus is that you can do everything right in terms of safety and if the guy next to you at the office is going to crowded bars and concerts and shows up sick to work, you're still Sh#t out of luck. Although this outcome was probably inevitable, the sh#tshow in Ft. Collins was the nail in the coffin for the Mountain West. The negative press and potential litigation from a situation like that is massive for the conference and the schools themselves, and whether you think players should be paid or not, they aren't now. There was just no way the current NCAA model was going to be compatible with this situation. As someone who believes that turning college sports in to semi-professional is the biggest long-term threat to a school like Wyoming, we have no idea what type of structural changes would have been necessary to play out this season and how that would affect us down the road.
+1
+10.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2224
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 pm

bladerunnr wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:02 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm
In an attempt to remedy a gross misuse and outright abuse of a name, WYO has agreed to relinquish its nickname of Cowboys and Cowgirls. The university no longer represents those individuals who built such a moniker and are more closely aligned with the rest of liberal universities in the USA.
Rather than being embarrassed to be a cowboy, i'm embarrassed that people in the fanbase are chalking up an extremely complicated situation to the University "aligning with the rest of liberal universities."

All indications are that that UW has handled the pre-season very well from top to bottom. For all the bitching on this site about Tom Burman, the players are publicly supporting him as well as the staff for how they handled it. Seems to me that going the extra mile to do what's required with the ultimate goal in mind seems to be a pretty good trait for Cowboys and Cowgirls. So is taking an unfair outcome on the chin - i'm glad our players and coaches aren't this whiny.

Wyoming is also 48th in deaths per 100,000 from this virus, only Alaska and Hawaii beat us. Calfornia, Nevada and Idaho are not doing well right now. By the time September rolls around, it could be another set of states including ours. The thing about a virus is that you can do everything right in terms of safety and if the guy next to you at the office is going to crowded bars and concerts and shows up sick to work, you're still Sh#t out of luck. Although this outcome was probably inevitable, the sh#tshow in Ft. Collins was the nail in the coffin for the Mountain West. The negative press and potential litigation from a situation like that is massive for the conference and the schools themselves, and whether you think players should be paid or not, they aren't now. There was just no way the current NCAA model was going to be compatible with this situation. As someone who believes that turning college sports in to semi-professional is the biggest long-term threat to a school like Wyoming, we have no idea what type of structural changes would have been necessary to play out this season and how that would affect us down the road.
+1
+2......it does suck however.
American Horse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:06 pm

I just had to laugh about the “Scott Frost” part of this post. The joke in Nebraska is that the Huskers should be glad there is no FB this year...Because for the first time in 4 yrs. Frost won’t have a losing record! He also said by year two NU would be competing for B1G West title and in year 3 everyone would need to “look out.” Not quite how things played out. I disagree that we need more people that fart out their mouths like he does at WY.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Under the evening shadow of the Bighorns

American Horse wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:20 am
I just had to laugh about the “Scott Frost” part of this post. The joke in Nebraska is that the Huskers should be glad there is no FB this year...Because for the first time in 4 yrs. Frost won’t have a losing record! He also said by year two NU would be competing for B1G West title and in year 3 everyone would need to “look out.” Not quite how things played out. I disagree that we need more people that fart out their mouths like he does at WY.
Four years? Hasn't Frost only been in Nebraska for two seasons? Frost had a winning season in 2017 just for a different team. If this is the joke in Nebraska, that indicates some sort of transference in the minds of the fans of institutional problems onto their current coach. Or is it just a general joke that Nebraska should be glad no FB this year because Nebraska hasn't had a winning season since 2016?
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
User avatar
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6738
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Expat_Poke wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:02 am
Four years? Hasn't Frost only been in Nebraska for two seasons? Frost had a winning season in 2017 just for a different team. If this is the joke in Nebraska, that indicates some sort of transference in the minds of the fans of institutional problems onto their current coach. Or is it just a general joke that Nebraska should be glad no FB this year because Nebraska hasn't had a winning season since 2016?
I reacted to that too. Not only was 2017 a "winning season," it was 13-0. I don't care if UCF played easier teams than Huskers do, it was still 13-0, which includes beating #7 Auburn in the Peach Bowl.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6204
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Cheyenne, again

The world needs more Cowboys, all we have are chicken sh#t[#] lol
User avatar
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Posts: 5946
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City but from Casper, WY

stymeman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:33 pm
The world needs more Cowboys, all we have are chicken sh#t[#] lol
AND no conference Championships which royally pisses me off!!!! No outright titles since 1988!!!!!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken Sh#t! And we're getting chicken Sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7484
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

American Horse wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:20 am
I just had to laugh about the “Scott Frost” part of this post. The joke in Nebraska is that the Huskers should be glad there is no FB this year...Because for the first time in 4 yrs. Frost won’t have a losing record! He also said by year two NU would be competing for B1G West title and in year 3 everyone would need to “look out.” Not quite how things played out. I disagree that we need more people that fart out their mouths like he does at WY.
you’re laughing at Scott frost because he had the balls to speak out against the madness? It would make me proud if anyone at UW had half the scrot that he does. He said everyone needs to get a grip and play ball
User avatar
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2942
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

LanderPoke wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:15 pm
American Horse wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:20 am
I just had to laugh about the “Scott Frost” part of this post. The joke in Nebraska is that the Huskers should be glad there is no FB this year...Because for the first time in 4 yrs. Frost won’t have a losing record! He also said by year two NU would be competing for B1G West title and in year 3 everyone would need to “look out.” Not quite how things played out. I disagree that we need more people that fart out their mouths like he does at WY.
you’re laughing at Scott frost because he had the balls to speak out against the madness? It would make me proud if anyone at UW had half the scrot that he does. He said everyone needs to get a grip and play ball
He also has the security (for now) to say the things he did, all the while knowing that they were never going to play this season. It was all a publicity stunt, he can play the tough-as-nails coach, knowing that it doesn't matter because he has absolutely NO say in whether they play or not.

Sure Bohl could do that, but he's a straight-shooter, not a media whore.
Image
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Under the evening shadow of the Bighorns

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am
Expat_Poke wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:02 am
Four years? Hasn't Frost only been in Nebraska for two seasons? Frost had a winning season in 2017 just for a different team. If this is the joke in Nebraska, that indicates some sort of transference in the minds of the fans of institutional problems onto their current coach. Or is it just a general joke that Nebraska should be glad no FB this year because Nebraska hasn't had a winning season since 2016?
I reacted to that too. Not only was 2017 a "winning season," it was 13-0. I don't care if UCF played easier teams than Huskers do, it was still 13-0, which includes beating #7 Auburn in the Peach Bowl.
:thumb:

2017 was a very good year for UCF, one I think any Poke fan (and if they were being honest and away from everyone else Cornhusker fan) would take in a heartbeat. I still don't like how those four teams for the bracket that year were picked. Oh well.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Post Reply