Roll Call For Veterans

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

I know that many of you served in the military, some of you faced enemy fire, and some of you were decorated.

I fought in Vietnam in 1968 and 1969. Nothing spectacular. I did what I had to do. I survived. I came home. I have some minor PTSD, but nothing that interferes with my life. I'm a Life Member of The VFW.

Let's hear from the rest of you.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Not a U.S. veteran, but still want to thank you for your service. You probably had no choice, and still served honorably.

I _had_ the choice and decided to not volunteer for KFOR in 2000 after my military service was up (in other words, I never risked seeing conflict unless I opted in). Even in a peacekeeping capacity I didn't have the stomach for it after talking to those serving there. I guess I was too detached from the conflict and didn't quite get why they all hated each other so much in former Yugoslavia?

Anyway - I can't even begin to understand what it must have been like in Vietnam. Thank you again, and happy Veterans Day!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Thanks, veterans. Much respect to you all. God bless America
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

I did 3 years in the 80's "peacetime" Army. Never in harms way, but I did do all of the usual stuff - Basic training, etc. My utmost respect for all combat vets. All in all, a very interesting (and transformative) experience. Met a lot of good people (and a lot of idiots, too). Looking back, I really do believe I gained a hell of lot more from my time in the service than what I gave. If I had to do it again, I'd do it it a heartbeat. This would be a lot better country if a LOT more people had served - just think of the WW2 generation.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

December 2000 I decided I was going to join the army. My father and I had a chat in our kitchen. He asked if I could kill somebody if I had too, he asked if I could go to war? At the time, the world seemed a peaceful place, and I looked forward to the military being able to keep me in top physical condition as I had a history with being overweight.

I graduated advanced individual training in July 2001. I had one month of leave with hometown recruiting, so I arrived in Korea around mid August. Little did I know what would happen in 4 weeks.

Present day, I have a job, a family, a house with jacuzzi... I'm fairly happy, being treated for ptsd. How I got here, what I've seen, knowing that I didn't get near the worst outcome that was possible... It troubles me every day. Every night I dream of being back somewhere I don't want to be. Did it make me a better person... Yes absolutely. Did I lose an ability to just simply enjoy any given moment, yes absolutely.

Iraq, afghanistan, fort bragg; those places took so much from so many people I personally know. I've seen the outcome of normal people just like me having their life ended.

I'm wonder if they had the same conversation with their father? I wonder if they would have the things that I have, and I feel an enormous amount of guilt.

So many suicides, too many friends lost in horrific combat.

To my brothers and sisters that died, I constantly think about your families, I remember the moments I had with your wives or husbands. I remember your children, wondering how they have progressed in life.

I try to cherish the moments with my son, and I feel detachment at times. I try to have normal interactions, but I feel lost most of the time. I can't explain to him why I have this lack of normalcy. I want to teach him to box, I want to have him get active with sports.

Yet something in me wants him to be a super nerd, a book worm. I want to steer him towards a career that doesn't involve military.

There's so much that I reflect on every day, not just today being vets day. But today, we are supposed to reflect and remember.

Thank you to all vets and families, and with my deepest condolences.... I'm very sorry and thankful for whatever hardships you've faced.

Case in point, I will remember one instance without names of the involved.

Returning from my last deployment in afghanistan, one of my units E7s (pretty high ranking) did something that changed everybody's lives. For whatever reason, a home scuffle with his wife, led him to walk into his front yard, with his teenage kids watching, he doused himself with his lawnmower gasoline, and lit himself on fire. He didn't die right away, it took days.

There is so much more to veterans day. It's dark, it's terrible, and also it's heroic.

Love those that you need to. Talk to people, listen, be a shoulder for somebody. Don't turn away from anyone that needs help.

God bless for reading, and pray for those that need it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Been in 17 years this January. Been around the world multiple times including two trips to Afghanistan.