Boise Game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

My dad has played quite a bit of basketball and reffed a lot of high school. I texted him “we don’t have enough d” and my dad said “yeah, and that
Thompson is kind of weak” and then later, “kind of a wuss”

I just watched the Boise dude grab a few boards right over him. I get it, he is what he is but it sure be nice if he would get aggressive on the boards. Boise going to beat us both games unless we get hot from outside.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

To me it has come down to one of the main reasons we have lost so many games ever since shyatt started as our coach, we have been absolutely destroyed in rebounding.

I'm glad we finally rebound more this year than any time in the last 10 years, but until we actually have a player that is a reliable rebounder we will lose to every team with a legitimate bruiser unless we are super hot on 3s.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

60-83, i listened to alot of it and we made runs, I think Boise played with us tonite, watched last 5 mins they surely look like a top 25 team in America
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Boise moved the ball around quickly as if they knew exactly what to do. But the Pokes seemed to hang onto the ball (without moving it) for too long, trying to decide what to do. It immediately made me think of the Edwards era.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:18 pm Boise moved the ball around quickly as if they knew exactly what to do. But the Pokes seemed to hang onto the ball (without moving it) for too long, trying to decide what to do. It immediately made me think of the Edwards era.
We are now playing teams that will contest every drive to the basket. This isn't DU anymore. We were outrebounded 47-23. There is no way to even be competitive with a disparity that big.
Until we get a big who can rebound and intimidate inside, we won't be a threat to the better teams in the league.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:18 pm Boise moved the ball around quickly as if they knew exactly what to do. But the Pokes seemed to hang onto the ball (without moving it) for too long, trying to decide what to do. It immediately made me think of the Edwards era.
We are now playing teams that will contest every drive to the basket. This isn't DU anymore. We were outrebounded 47-23. There is no way to even be competitive with a disparity that big.
Until we get a big who can rebound and intimidate inside, we won't be a threat to the better teams in the league.
Last edited by bladerunnr on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:41 pm My dad has played quite a bit of basketball and reffed a lot of high school. I texted him “we don’t have enough d” and my dad said “yeah, and that
Thompson is kind of weak” and then later, “kind of a wuss”

I just watched the Boise dude grab a few boards right over him. I get it, he is what he is but it sure be nice if he would get aggressive on the boards. Boise going to beat us both games unless we get hot from outside.
Thompson got embarrassed by that huge Serbian. Inexplicable.
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

I'm going to be honest, but I am starting to get worried that maybe this isn't the new and improved Cowboys team that we thought it would be before the break. Not because of poor interior defense and rebounding, because advanced stats show that we haven't really been that much worse in those areas since January than we were before January. And not because we have started conference play 1-2, because advanced stats from before January showed that we would probably finish conference play at 6-12 and have exactly the same record at this point in the season that we do now. I'm worried because we are a much much worse offensive team than what we were before the January. If had the same offense now as we were before January, we still would of lost the last two games but it would've been by between 3-9 points, not by over 20. Since January, only Williams is playing better than an average college basketball starter on offense per offensive BPM and Thompson and Marble barely make it to average college basketball starter level by a fingernail (and I am not convinced Thompson will stay there). Granted this is a small sample size and could just be an offensive funk and not a new baseline, but if hypothetically this is a new baseline, this team would be no better than Edward's or Shroyer's worst teams statistically speaking.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Rebounding and defense is terrible
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyoav211933 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 am I'm going to be honest, but I am starting to get worried that maybe this isn't the new and improved Cowboys team that we thought it would be before the break. Not because of poor interior defense and rebounding, because advanced stats show that we haven't really been that much worse in those areas since January than we were before January. And not because we have started conference play 1-2, because advanced stats from before January showed that we would probably finish conference play at 6-12 and have exactly the same record at this point in the season that we do now. I'm worried because we are a much much worse offensive team than what we were before the January. If had the same offense now as we were before January, we still would of lost the last two games but it would've been by between 3-9 points, not by over 20. Since January, only Williams is playing better than an average college basketball starter on offense per offensive BPM and Thompson and Marble barely make it to average college basketball starter level by a fingernail (and I am not convinced Thompson will stay there). Granted this is a small sample size and could just be an offensive funk and not a new baseline, but if hypothetically this is a new baseline, this team would be no better than Edward's or Shroyer's worst teams statistically speaking.
Marble and Williams need to never come off the floor
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Anyone that thought this team was going to be better than 7th or 8th in the conference was wearing their brown and gold glasses. The teams played pre-conference were not good (argument could be made that Oregon State is decent), those teams are a combined 18-49.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked that we are seeing improvement, last years team would have lost most of those games. But if anyone thought that the pre-conference slate meant we were suddenly going to be a Top 5 MWC team, they weren't paying attention. We have a ways to go before we are a contender.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:47 pm Anyone that thought this team was going to be better than 7th or 8th in the conference was wearing their brown and gold glasses. The teams played pre-conference were not good (argument could be made that Oregon State is decent), those teams are a combined 18-49.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked that we are seeing improvement, last years team would have lost most of those games. But if anyone thought that the pre-conference slate meant we were suddenly going to be a Top 5 MWC team, they weren't paying attention. We have a ways to go before we are a contender.
This. I said it before the season and I'll reiterate now: If this is a .500 team in conference I will be pleasantly surprised.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:47 pm Anyone that thought this team was going to be better than 7th or 8th in the conference was wearing their brown and gold glasses. The teams played pre-conference were not good (argument could be made that Oregon State is decent), those teams are a combined 18-49.

I'm not to sure about that. I think we'll finish higher than 7th. We still get Graham Ike back soon and he'll definitely help with rebounding and interior defense.

I agree that our pre conference schedule was weak, but even with the departure of Lamont and the injury to Nelson, I think we're going to get better as the season goes along.

Are we a top 4 team this year: probably not. Are we better than seventh. I think we are.
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

I think some of what you said is spot on, but I think it is ignoring some very crucial trends that may indicate that perhaps we aren't actually seeing improvement from past seasons. I was fully expecting us to finish 6-12 in conference play and finish around 7th or 8th in conference play and I would agree that we could still consider such a finish as an improvement. I think so many people have been frustrated at our inability to defend down low and rebound that they are overlooking the fact that our offense has been bad. I wasn't expecting us to average less than 70 points per game in conference play. I was expecting to lose these last two games by 3-9 points, maybe 12-15 if we were unlucky, but not by 20+. I was expecting 3-4 players on our roster to be at average college basketball starter level or better according to total BPM like we were sitting at the break, not 1 and have the rest be at bench player level on your average college basketball team. These are not trends that indicate we are actually improving. These are exactly what happened with Edwards and Shroyer coached teams.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

The team is down to one big man. Thompson is only a big man in stature and how slow his feet are. Other than that he plays like he is 5'9". I don't know why anyone is surprised by Boise having their way with a team relying on Thompson to protect the paint and rebound.

Nelson isn't great by any means, but losing him has really hurt. Linder needs to recruit legitimate big men so he can push Thompson to role specific playing time. Thompson is simply a slightly larger version of Drew Lamont. We know what Thompson is. He'll never be anything more than a rotation player that has been forced to start. The next few years will depend on Nelson and Ike's development or another big man recruit like Barnhart.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Try to right the ship against Air Force this weekend
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Im not hitting the panic button. Boise will be a single-digit seed in the NCAA tourney this year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Welp. That was a debacle. I'm going to pretend like that series never happened.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:06 pm Welp. That was a debacle. I'm going to pretend like that series never happened.
Rinse, repeat. Glad I didn’t watch the second one. Maybe Boise is that good.
W-Y, Until I Die!