Defense was good

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:40 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:22 pm Deserves to be up on the front page. These guys played well enough to win. Well done, men
I hate to throw water on this because it really looks like they played well but I think they tuned it down a lot to make sure they didn’t make any mistakes to help our bad. I watched the BSU/BYU game and either our D played lights out or BSU turned it down.
It’s on par with our other d performances . Either every other team we play tunes it down and scores way below their season average…. Or, we’re just really good on defense. We’re just good
While I think we do have a good defense, this wasn't one of our better games. We gave up 22 1st downs, tied for our season high with the NIU game. 15 of those were on 1st or 2nd down plays. We slowed them down, but didn't stop them. When we aren't getting turnovers we need to force punts and we didn't do that very well against Boise.

The thing that stood out to me was we only got one sack, by Gibbs, and had one QB hurry, by White. Our front 4 didn't get nearly enough pressure on their QB. They threw the ball 32 times, so we had plenty of chances.
That is well stated Flyfish....I would say that is directly related to them having talented offensive players.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 618 times
Been liked: 250 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:40 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:22 pm Deserves to be up on the front page. These guys played well enough to win. Well done, men
I hate to throw water on this because it really looks like they played well but I think they tuned it down a lot to make sure they didn’t make any mistakes to help our bad. I watched the BSU/BYU game and either our D played lights out or BSU turned it down.
It’s on par with our other d performances . Either every other team we play tunes it down and scores way below their season average…. Or, we’re just really good on defense. We’re just good
While I think we do have a good defense, this wasn't one of our better games. We gave up 22 1st downs, tied for our season high with the NIU game. 15 of those were on 1st or 2nd down plays. We slowed them down, but didn't stop them. When we aren't getting turnovers we need to force punts and we didn't do that very well against Boise.

The thing that stood out to me was we only got one sack, by Gibbs, and had one QB hurry, by White. Our front 4 didn't get nearly enough pressure on their QB. They threw the ball 32 times, so we had plenty of chances.
Yeah. A little bit of a disappointing performance by the d line. Missing Holt and Byrd hurts.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Our offense desperately needs the defense to set them up with good field position and turnovers.

And there just haven't been many of those lately. Turnovers aren't easy to come by at times.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 50 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:01 am Our offense desperately needs the defense to set them up with good field position and turnovers.

And there just haven't been many of those lately. Turnovers aren't easy to come by at times.
I agree 100% with that statement. We rank 102nd in the country in starting field position for offensive drives. That number is largely driven by lack of turnovers.

We also rank 114th in starting field position for defense. Our turnovers are putting the defense in bad spots.

Here's some interesting stuff: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... allst/2021