Linder contract

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

307bball wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:37 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:24 am Agree that Linder's salary should be tripled, but if this were a "business" wouldn't we be singing the praises of the CEO (Burman) for making such a wise use of the budget? We're getting great value from Linder. If Linder was the best hire, which he obviously was do you want Burman to have paid twice as much for Linder's services.. just because?
Fine line there...and after year one (and the Linder first recruiting class) the writing was on the wall. Turn to 2021-22, and it is evident what we have in Linder...so why wait to extend? That makes as much sense as extending Edwards after the CBI "championship"...
So...If you are an AD at Wyoming...How in the heck do you pay the "correct" amount? I see there being two options with various sub options.
Know your job? Be the best at what you do? Work hard & smart, not just one or the other (or neither)? Be a leader in your profession? Have a network of constituents that you can share information, trends, and ideas with?

In reverse, seems like Burman pays an "incorrect" amount for a lot of people in the department. High and low. It is like throwing darts at a dartboard in that department. Bohl, Dickface, Edwards, Schroyer, to name a few that were overpaid. There is twice that list of underpaid coaches / administrators.

Frankly there is a reason he as been at the helm at Wyoming for 15+ years, and survived some very, VERY, bad decisions.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:59 am
307bball wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:37 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:24 am Agree that Linder's salary should be tripled, but if this were a "business" wouldn't we be singing the praises of the CEO (Burman) for making such a wise use of the budget? We're getting great value from Linder. If Linder was the best hire, which he obviously was do you want Burman to have paid twice as much for Linder's services.. just because?
Fine line there...and after year one (and the Linder first recruiting class) the writing was on the wall. Turn to 2021-22, and it is evident what we have in Linder...so why wait to extend? That makes as much sense as extending Edwards after the CBI "championship"...
So...If you are an AD at Wyoming...How in the heck do you pay the "correct" amount? I see there being two options with various sub options.
Know your job? Be the best at what you do? Work hard & smart, not just one or the other (or neither)? Be a leader in your profession? Have a network of constituents that you can share information, trends, and ideas with?

In reverse, seems like Burman pays an "incorrect" amount for a lot of people in the department. High and low. It is like throwing darts at a dartboard in that department. Bohl, Dickface, Edwards, Schroyer, to name a few that were overpaid. There is twice that list of underpaid coaches / administrators.

Frankly there is a reason he as been at the helm at Wyoming for 15+ years, and survived some very, VERY, bad decisions.
I see what you are saying but that in the case of college athletics it depends on what your priorities are. If you are interested in being a solid program that wins conference titles with some regularity...I think the correct answer is to always "overpay"...otherwise you won't get good coaching. I'm personally fine with overpaying ... I think, over time, higher pay over time will result in better results. You obviously have to couple that with a willingness to pull the trigger on firing an underperformer but that is part of the overpaying tax.

If you are viewing athletics from purely an economic standpoint it's much more difficult to justify overpaying. If all you want is some games on national television through whatever conference contract you happen to play in then you'll never be all that good but you also can save some money.

People on here are pretty negative on Burman...I really have no opinion. From my completely uninformed position, I don't see the Wyoming AD having tons of leeway to do anything adventurous.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Total gut feeling with nothing else to go off, but I feel like Linder is the type of guy that wants to accomplish something real before leaving for a new job. Like a MWC championship, an NCAA tournament win/run, and getting the AA full again. I don't think he bolts before accomplishing those, even if his name is on people's radars already.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:58 pm Total gut feeling with nothing else to go off, but I feel like Linder is the type of guy that wants to accomplish something real before leaving for a new job. Like a MWC championship, an NCAA tournament win/run, and getting the AA full again. I don't think he bolts before accomplishing those, even if his name is on people's radars already.
Linder never won a regular season or postseason conference title at UNC nor made a NCAA/NIT and yet he left UNC for UW.

I am a huge fan of Linder, but if he gets an opportunity for a better job he will take it and I can’t blame him. Worst P5 job would probably triple his salary in the current market.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

NowherePoke wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:55 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:58 pm Total gut feeling with nothing else to go off, but I feel like Linder is the type of guy that wants to accomplish something real before leaving for a new job. Like a MWC championship, an NCAA tournament win/run, and getting the AA full again. I don't think he bolts before accomplishing those, even if his name is on people's radars already.
Linder never won a regular season or postseason conference title at UNC nor made a NCAA/NIT and yet he left UNC for UW.

I am a huge fan of Linder, but if he gets an opportunity for a better job he will take it and I can’t blame him. Worst P5 job would probably triple his salary in the current market.
My thoughts exactly, he didn't accomplish anything real at UNC before he left them for us. He has plenty of ties to the state of Colorado and he still left.

He has zero Wyoming ties. There's no reason to think we are an exception.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:42 am
NowherePoke wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:55 pm

My thoughts exactly, he didn't accomplish anything real at UNC before he left them for us. He has plenty of ties to the state of Colorado and he still left.

He has zero Wyoming ties. There's no reason to think we are an exception.
I heard an interview with Linder where he talked about leaving No. Colorado. He said that he felt he put a really good product on the court, but the fans still didn't support him, and that really turned him off.
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Burman is Laramie's "Fair-Haired Boy." Burman Chevrolet? Millionaire daddy?
Regarding the feared departure of Coach Linder for "The Big Time," I can't help but think of all the WAC/Mountain West coaches, in all sports, who bolted and then failed. I can name most of them, but so can you. Loyalty doesn't cut much ice, does it?
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:01 pm Burman is Laramie's "Fair-Haired Boy." Burman Chevrolet? Millionaire daddy?
Regarding the feared departure of Coach Linder for "The Big Time," I can't help but think of all the WAC/Mountain West coaches, in all sports, who bolted and then failed. I can name most of them, but so can you. Loyalty doesn't cut much ice, does it?
It doesn't really matter if they fail at the P5 level though. Always an opportunity to come back to this level. Look at the MWC coaches right now:

Miles - Bolted CSU for Nebraska, made a ton of money, now back to the MWC making more than he ever did at CSU.

Alford - Multiple P5 cycles. Moved up from Missouri State to Iowa, got fired eventually, had a nice run at UNM and bolted for UCLA. Didn't do enough there, now back in the MWC and making over $1M/yr.

Pitino - Moved from FIU to Minn, got fired, landed nice MWC job.

You can always come back if it doesn't work out at the P5 level, only you come back with a much larger bank account and investment portfolio.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

TTT
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...