Bohl getting testy....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Bohl is blaming the accuracy of the QB's in a recent interview. He is not wrong there, but that is only part of the problem. The passing game has been bad since Josh's last year,(thats 4 years) he's the head coach, he needs to fix the damn problem, which starts by recruiting players who cant throw a simple hitch route. I am over this guy.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Bohl isn't wrong in his assessment. However, he also didn't take responsibility. At the end of the day, the inability of QBs is due to recruiting and the complete inability of Bohl and his staff to develop QBs.

I know it ruffles feathers but Allen excelled DESPITE this staff not because of this staff. The only credit they deserve is offering him a scholarship. Every. Single. QB. before and after Josh is more than enough evidence.

Bohl needs to pat attention to the 4 fingers pointing back at him rather than the 1 pointing at the players.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I think QB accuracy is a two-way street. Yes, our QBs have had much lower than desirable completion percentages from JA's final year to present. But, we also have a WR coach that has to be one of the worst in the country in coaching routes (and was just promoted). The scheme in no way puts our QBs in a situation to succeed. Levi was 60% this year, which is pretty solid. I would not be surprised in the least if he gets to 65% or higher (if he gets the chance) at USU.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:31 am
I know it ruffles feathers but Allen excelled DESPITE this staff not because of this staff. The only credit they deserve is offering him a scholarship. Every. Single. QB. before and after Josh is more than enough evidence
This is a dumb statement. Josh was essentially a rookie at Wyoming the year we went to championship following an injury. was he even in spring camp following his surgery? How long is fall camp before games? 3 weeks? Josh’s magic coaches didn’t turn him around until after two full NFL seasons and all the practices, workouts, OTAs, preseason games and the time dedicated as a professional with no worries of going to class. College coaches barely have any time with players.
W-Y, Until I Die!
springs_poke
Buckaroo

I liked Bohl's comments, they are accurate. QB development is not an easy deal in college. I think we could still make a lower bowl next year. Yeah, not that exciting, but it could be worse.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Bohl's interview was surprising. He said that they have always had a plan and basically new who was going to transfer. I don't believe that poop at all. Its up to him to recruit a serviceable QB or adjust the offense to their strengths. He has recruited enough talent to win except at QB (2 year Allen excluded). I do not have a problem with us being a developmental program, but he has been here 8 years. No more excuses.
I look back at that New Mexico game and still cannot believe Bohl could not have a better game plan than that.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:05 pm
I know it ruffles feathers but Allen excelled DESPITE this staff not because of this staff. The only credit they deserve is offering him a scholarship. Every. Single. QB. before and after Josh is more than enough evidence
This is a dumb statement. Josh was essentially a rookie at Wyoming the year we went to championship following an injury. was he even in spring camp following his surgery? How long is fall camp before games? 3 weeks? Josh’s magic coaches didn’t turn him around until after two full NFL seasons and all the practices, workouts, OTAs, preseason games and the time dedicated as a professional with no worries of going to class. College coaches barely have any time with players.
Umm, wtf does any of that nonsense have to do with the price of tea in China? Allen's last year was worse than the previous...yeah, real testament to development. Hell, most scouting reports were about raw talent DESPITE not having developmental coaching. In fact, many question why he was put in such bad situations his last year (mainly passing out of 3rd and long).

Josh had innate freakish talent that Bohl staff saw. Kudos on that. They had a roster full of NFL talent. Kudos on that. Freakish innate talent + plethora of NFL talent = Josh getting noticed. Regression the next year was overlooked because Josh was only NFL level player on offense and lack of quality coaching.

Reality is what it is no matter how much you choose to ignore it. Josh's freakish ability got him noticed. His work after leaving WYO made him an NFL QB. Bohl simply gave him a platform.

Fact remains. Every QB has essentially sucked at throwing under this staff except 1 generational freak who could make college throws with NFL talent and was hit or miss without. Be a Bohl fanboy all you want but this group of coaches suck with QBs. To imply otherwise is dumb.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:39 pm
Umm, wtf does any of that nonsense have to do with the price of tea in China? Allen's last year was worse than the previous...yeah, real testament to development. Hell, most scouting reports were about raw talent DESPITE not having developmental coaching. In fact, many question why he was put in such bad situations his last year (mainly passing out of 3rd and long).

Josh had innate freakish talent that Bohl staff saw. Kudos on that. They had a roster full of NFL talent. Kudos on that. Freakish innate talent + plethora of NFL talent = Josh getting noticed. Regression the next year was overlooked because Josh was only NFL level player on offense and lack of quality coaching.

Reality is what it is no matter how much you choose to ignore it. Josh's freakish ability got him noticed. His work after leaving WYO made him an NFL QB. Bohl simply gave him a platform.

Fact remains. Every QB has essentially sucked at throwing under this staff except 1 generational freak who could make college throws with NFL talent and was hit or miss without. Be a Bohl fanboy all you want but this group of coaches suck with QBs. To imply otherwise is dumb.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. If what you said is true, then a pro staff should have had Josh as a good qb his rookie year. After all, the whole reason Josh wasn’t as good in college was because of coaching, right? Nfl player gets more coaching from when they sign to game 1 than Bohl had with Josh in 2 seasons of college. Josh was a gunslinger and Josh getting good had as much to do with him slowing down and committing to getting better. Bohl couldn’t reel it in. Yes, we did win because of his freakish ability but the fact remains, Bohl recruits qbs with low completion percentages and it turns out a lot of them just can’t throw the ball. Josh was different. Virtually zero qbs are nfl ready coming out of college even from the greatest schools and greatest coaches. You could make the argument that Bohl has recruited the wrong type of qb? Sure. If we recruited a Brett smith type, would that work better? Someone that can complete short to intermediate passes but isn’t as big? You act as if other coaches are taking turd qbs and making them into nfl quarterbacks but Bohl just sucks at coaching qbs. This just isn’t true. I’d venture to say that college programs rarely mold a qb into their System but rather find a qb that fits. If it was just coaching, you wouldn’t need 5 qbs on roster. You could have 3 and coach them all up, right?
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:10 am

You don’t know what you’re talking about. If what you said is true, then a pro staff should have had Josh as a good qb his rookie year. After all, the whole reason Josh wasn’t as good in college was because of coaching, right? Nfl player gets more coaching from when they sign to game 1 than Bohl had with Josh in 2 seasons of college. Josh was a gunslinger and Josh getting good had as much to do with him slowing down and committing to getting better. Bohl couldn’t reel it in. Yes, we did win because of his freakish ability but the fact remains, Bohl recruits qbs with low completion percentages and it turns out a lot of them just can’t throw the ball. Josh was different. Virtually zero qbs are nfl ready coming out of college even from the greatest schools and greatest coaches. You could make the argument that Bohl has recruited the wrong type of qb? Sure. If we recruited a Brett smith type, would that work better? Someone that can complete short to intermediate passes but isn’t as big? You act as if other coaches are taking turd qbs and making them into nfl quarterbacks but Bohl just sucks at coaching qbs. This just isn’t true. I’d venture to say that college programs rarely mold a qb into their System but rather find a qb that fits. If it was just coaching, you wouldn’t need 5 qbs on roster. You could have 3 and coach them all up, right?
Josh had physical growth as much as anything. He would have been top 10-15 in draft (maybe 1) after 1 year of startinga full season at WYO (still funny that Mitch went ahead of Watson and Mahomes). Josh would have had the same or better draft prospect at ANY fbs school and maybe fcs school. His physical gifts are what got him drafted not his college development.

If Bohl had a track record of even 1 qb improving, maybe. Of course not every QB works out which is why you need several...just like every other position. You truly believe the only problem is they can't recruits qb that can complete a pass? I'd say nearly a decade of no improvement and sometimes regression points to issues larger than that. But hey, every qb out of high school is what they will be, right? No other program develops them; they just recruit them. Makes sense. Of course, that doesn't bode well for a program that hangs its hat on being a developmental program.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:45 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:10 am

Josh had physical growth as much as anything. He would have been top 10-15 in draft (maybe 1) after 1 year of startinga full season at WYO (still funny that Mitch went ahead of Watson and Mahomes). Josh would have had the same or better draft prospect at ANY fbs school and maybe fcs school. His physical gifts are what got him drafted not his college development.

If Bohl had a track record of even 1 qb improving, maybe. Of course not every QB works out which is why you need several...just like every other position. You truly believe the only problem is they can't recruits qb that can complete a pass? I'd say nearly a decade of no improvement and sometimes regression points to issues larger than that. But hey, every qb out of high school is what they will be, right? No other program develops them; they just recruit them. Makes sense. Of course, that doesn't bode well for a program that hangs its hat on being a developmental program.
What about WRs? The coaching must have sucked huh? That’s why we didn’t have any neyors before neyor? And we magically coached a random kid? No, we found a legit talent. The same thing happened with Allen. Why do some national title winning qbs never go pro? Is it because “tHeY dIDnT gEt CoAcHing”? If you want to say coach Bohl sucks at finding QBs that can throw and he deserves to be booted? Fine. I actually think they’ve done a relatively good job winning with who they’ve recruited, especially chambers. He’s not a division 1 qb yet Wyoming’s record with him playing isn’t bad. The coaches failed to recognize Williams last year and it looks like he was finally maturing as a qb. There’s a reason why starting jr/sr qbs is better than starting freshmen. Utah st might benefit from his maturity. I seriously doubt it will be coaching. It will maturity and scheme most likely.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

I wish Bohl would recruit a QB that has proven he can complete passes and has touch vs QBs that meets the prerequisite of being 6"4 225 lbs.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:21 am What about WRs? The coaching must have sucked huh? That’s why we didn’t have any neyors before neyor? And we magically coached a random kid? No, we found a legit talent. The same thing happened with Allen. Why do some national title winning qbs never go pro? Is it because “tHeY dIDnT gEt CoAcHing”? If you want to say coach Bohl sucks at finding QBs that can throw and he deserves to be booted? Fine. I actually think they’ve done a relatively good job winning with who they’ve recruited, especially chambers. He’s not a division 1 qb yet Wyoming’s record with him playing isn’t bad. The coaches failed to recognize Williams last year and it looks like he was finally maturing as a qb. There’s a reason why starting jr/sr qbs is better than starting freshmen. Utah st might benefit from his maturity. I seriously doubt it will be coaching. It will maturity and scheme most likely.
Hmmm, a kid out of high school is what he is regardless. Got it. We sure are wasting a ton of money on coaches. Of course, there are also things like Logan Wilson who is a good example of talent + development. Naturally, "hE wOUld hAVe EXcelled REgARdLEss" (did I do that right?). Personally, I don't think so. He found the right program that brought him along perfectly.

There are coaches like Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen, maybe Leach on one end of the spectrum and Bohl is on the other. Of course system matters, but that's part of coaching and development. Josh was able to be relatively successful DESPITE how bad Bohl's system and development is. WR is another area where recruiting, system, AND coaching has been abysmal.

Williams is simply another testament of how incompetent Bohl and staff are with QBs.

If development doesn't happen, why the hell are we sticking with Bohl? That's his whole damn philosophy. Outside of QBs and WRs, he's done a damn good job of development. It wasn't just finding a bunch of unpolished diamonds. Some were, like Neyor, but many were coached up, put on weight, and DEVELOPED. This staff just really sucks at it with anything to do with passing.

Back to the original point, Bohl needs to pay attention to the 4 fingers pointing at him while he's pointing at the former players.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:22 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:21 am What about WRs? The coaching must have sucked huh? That’s why we didn’t have any neyors before neyor? And we magically coached a random kid? No, we found a legit talent. The same thing happened with Allen. Why do some national title winning qbs never go pro? Is it because “tHeY dIDnT gEt CoAcHing”? If you want to say coach Bohl sucks at finding QBs that can throw and he deserves to be booted? Fine. I actually think they’ve done a relatively good job winning with who they’ve recruited, especially chambers. He’s not a division 1 qb yet Wyoming’s record with him playing isn’t bad. The coaches failed to recognize Williams last year and it looks like he was finally maturing as a qb. There’s a reason why starting jr/sr qbs is better than starting freshmen. Utah st might benefit from his maturity. I seriously doubt it will be coaching. It will maturity and scheme most likely.
Hmmm, a kid out of high school is what he is regardless. Got it. We sure are wasting a ton of money on coaches. Of course, there are also things like Logan Wilson who is a good example of talent + development. Naturally, "hE wOUld hAVe EXcelled REgARdLEss" (did I do that right?). Personally, I don't think so. He found the right program that brought him along perfectly.
I know this is a message board and straw man arguments are de rigueur, but let's reign it in a bit shall we? Of course there is development in college athletes. It would be convenient to argue with somebody who believes there is not development but, as I read laxwyo's point, that is not his contention. The idea that Josh Allen was held back primarily by his college coaches inability to develop his talents is a popular one in these parts. I don't think that any college programs are going all in on QB development like they do in the NFL. It's a matter of resources. If you have a guy for 4 years (and let's be honest, it's typically two years)....programs not named Ohio St, Alabama, (insert powerhouse here), cannot afford to specifically develop guys with the types of personalized training that Allen got once he made the NFL. I suppose they could but your losing that guy you developed in a year or two anyways.

I really don't know of any "developmental" programs and I don't understand what Bohl means when he uses the term. You can predict fairly accurately how good a player is going to be in this day and age...We don't get the players that are no-brainer great talents out of high school...so I guess we have to "develop" them? From my point of view...it's difficult, bordering on impossible, to make up for a lower level of talent of incoming players by "developing" them. So what is the answer? I think it is to do what college coaches are doing all the time...developing programs of training that will get the most kids possible the furthest along as fast as possible. Bohl seems about average at doing that. Now this breaks down a bit on the new world of college athletics where it seems like you can let other, lesser, programs sift the talent for you and then "buy" them through transfers.

It seemed crazy that people did not identify Allen as a good prospect any earlier than Bohl did. But he did and kudos for it. In a world where he goes to Texas or USC or somewhere that has better "development" programs, is he some slam dunk polished product? I don't think so. I could be wrong there but Allen seems like a complete statistical anomaly. He was never going to get a lot further down the path to becoming what he eventually became at Buffalo while still in college.

Bohl seems to have peaked. I enjoyed the peak but I want more.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:28 am
I know this is a message board and straw man arguments are de rigueur, but let's reign it in a bit shall we? Of course there is development in college athletes. It would be convenient to argue with somebody who believes there is not development but, as I read laxwyo's point, that is not his contention. The idea that Josh Allen was held back primarily by his college coaches inability to develop his talents is a popular one in these parts.
Look, it's pretty simple. Other programs can maximize talents and develop talents. Develop means put on weight, develop technique, and put the player in a position to succeed. Levi is a perfect example that this staff is clueless when it comes to QBs.

The contention is that Allen succeeded DESPITE the limitations of Bohl and his staff. They weren't holding him back per se and I never said that. I said he had freakish talent that allowed him to be successful DESPITE the ineptness of WYO football's passing system and coaching. In this system and with these coaches, you have to be one of the top 10 QBs in the world to be successful. There are hundreds of other programs that can field a competent passing attack without having a Josh Allen. Bohl can't.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:40 am
I know this is a message board and straw man arguments are de rigueur, but let's reign it in a bit shall we? Of course there is development in college athletes. It would be convenient to argue with somebody who believes there is not development but, as I read laxwyo's point, that is not his contention. The idea that Josh Allen was held back primarily by his college coaches inability to develop his talents is a popular one in these parts.
Look, it's pretty simple. Other programs can maximize talents and develop talents. Develop means put on weight, develop technique, and put the player in a position to succeed. Levi is a perfect example that this staff is clueless when it comes to QBs.

The contention is that Allen succeeded DESPITE the limitations of Bohl and his staff. They weren't holding him back per se and I never said that. I said he had freakish talent that allowed him to be successful DESPITE the ineptness of WYO football's passing system and coaching. In this system and with these coaches, you have to be one of the top 10 QBs in the world to be successful. There are hundreds of other programs that can field a competent passing attack without having a Josh Allen. Bohl can't.
That makes sense...Would you agree then that it is not so much about developing talent as it is about being a competent or better system/scheme designer? Fielding a competent passing attack is not the same as fixing a very non-typical QB's (like Allen) mechanics.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:56 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:40 am

That makes sense...Would you agree then that it is not so much about developing talent as it is about being a competent or better system/scheme designer? Fielding a competent passing attack is not the same as fixing a very non-typical QB's (like Allen) mechanics.
Naturally system is a big part of it. If you are long ball team or need to use the edges, a qb that only has arm strength between the hashes and 15-25 yards downfield isn't going to work and you can't coach the arm strength.

You obviously have to have a skill set to work with. However, good programs for QBs can take an adequately skilled QB and bring them along to a functional college QB (i.e. train them on reads, throwing mechanics, put weight on them, etc. etc.). Some is Bohl's system, some is Bohl's recruiting, and some is Bohl's inability to coach up QBs. The entire passing system at WYO is incompetent and Josh Allen is special enough to overcome all of that to be successful which is exactly what I said.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

For the record, I think Bohl has done well with development in other areas. A good example of development vs talent is us and csu. Look at csu's struggles despite consistently ranking near the top of the MWC in recruiting rankings. WYO consistently ranks near the bottom. The difference? Coaching and player development. If Bohl could field a functional passing game, his program would be pretty remarkable.
springs_poke
Buckaroo

Agreed. Look at all the former Cowboys in the NFL. If Bohl couldn't recruit and develop players, we wouldn't lead the league in NFL players. It's never been easy to recruit to Laramie.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

PokeNer wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:34 pm I think QB accuracy is a two-way street. Yes, our QBs have had much lower than desirable completion percentages from JA's final year to present. But, we also have a WR coach that has to be one of the worst in the country in coaching routes (and was just promoted). The scheme in no way puts our QBs in a situation to succeed. Levi was 60% this year, which is pretty solid. I would not be surprised in the least if he gets to 65% or higher (if he gets the chance) at USU.
It's also the play calling. The more you throw the ball down filed, the lower your completion percentage will be. Wasn't that part of the reason for Josh's lower than desired completion percentage?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

springs_poke wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:53 pm Agreed. Look at all the former Cowboys in the NFL. If Bohl couldn't recruit and develop players, we wouldn't lead the league in NFL players. It's never been easy to recruit to Laramie.
Most of them are on defense.

The defensive development for us is really good. We have some good players in the NFL.

Offense has been lacking though. Aside from Roullier and Allen, no other offensive player is a starter, and generally bounce around every year.
cowboyz wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:30 pm
PokeNer wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:34 pm I think QB accuracy is a two-way street. Yes, our QBs have had much lower than desirable completion percentages from JA's final year to present. But, we also have a WR coach that has to be one of the worst in the country in coaching routes (and was just promoted). The scheme in no way puts our QBs in a situation to succeed. Levi was 60% this year, which is pretty solid. I would not be surprised in the least if he gets to 65% or higher (if he gets the chance) at USU.
It's also the play calling. The more you throw the ball down filed, the lower your completion percentage will be. Wasn't that part of the reason for Josh's lower than desired completion percentage?
Not fully. Josh had a lot of issues with screens and short passes. He had the arm strength to hit anywhere on the field. But lacked the finesse for the short pass. He too often rocketed those throws like he was throwing 30 yards down field, rather than 5. And Brian Hill, for all the records he set here, did almost nothing in the passing game except block.