Are we locked into the #4 Seed VS UNLV now?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
nirv117
Ranch Hand

If we win and CSU loses we'd both be 13-5; would they have tie breaker going 1-1 VS SDSU while we were 0-1?

If SDSU loses and is 12-5 while we are 13-5 (if we win) and CSU 13-5 - does 13-5 trump the 12-5 record, or do they only go by losses, in which case the head to heads between the three of us we'd lose out. we'd be 1-2, CSU 2-2, SDSU 2-1?

or do they look at record vs #1 seed first for tie breaker? - in which case SDSU is 0-2 and we are 1-1 ad CSU is 1-1

Every scenario I can think of I see us as the #4 seed and playing UNLV again.
God is a Cowboy
nirv117
Ranch Hand

From MW Tie breakers ...

Two-Way Tie
1. If two teams are tied for in the loss column for a position, and one holds a win-loss advantage during regular
season play, that team receives the higher seed (e.g., 2-0 is better than 1-0).
2. If the two teams split the series during the regular season, each tied team’s record shall be compared
against the team occupying the highest position in the standings, starting at the top and continuing down
through the standings until one team gains the advantage, thereby gaining the higher seed.

Ties Between Three or More Teams
1. If three or more teams are tied in the loss column, each of the tied teams’ combined record against the
other teams involved in the tie shall be compared. If at any time during this process, a team gains an
advantage over the other teams tied at that position, that team shall assume the higher seed than the other
teams(e.g., 3-0 is better than 3-1, and 2-0 is better than 1-0, and 0-1 is better than 0-2). If at any time during
this analysis, any set of teams should gain an advantage over the other teams tied at that position, the
teams holding the advantage shall continue the tiebreaking procedures. If it is reduced to a two-team tie at
any point, the process shall then revert to the beginning of the tiebreaking procedures and shall be applied
(in order) until the two-team tie is broken.
God is a Cowboy
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

CSU wins the tie breaker as we both would have split with Boise St.

Then it would go to games against SDSU. Since we went 0-1 and they split with the Aztecs they win the tie breaker.

If San Diego St loses to Nevada we would get the 3 seed because we would have a better record than they do since San Diego St and Fresno St play one less game than everyone else.

So only way to get the 3 seed is to win and have Nevada beat SDSU, which I don’t see happening.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
nirv117
Ranch Hand

I believe the tie breaker rules say if it is within 1 game of the average number played you go by the loss column not win percent (win/loss)

EDIT from the MW website.

SEEDING FOR CHAMPIONSHIP
Seeding for the Mountain West Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships shall be based on regular-season
Conference winning percentage. In the event of an unbalanced schedule where there is a tie the loss column, head to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage
God is a Cowboy
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Nevada winning at SDSU is not out of the real of possibility.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

nirv117 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:14 pm I believe the tie breaker rules say if it is within 1 game of the average number played you go by the loss column not win percent (win/loss)

SEEDING FOR CHAMPIONSHIP
Seeding for the Mountain West Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships shall be based on regular-season
Conference winning percentage. In the event of an unbalanced schedule where there is a tie the loss column, head to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage
Thats fine. It would still work out the same way. You would need Nevada to beat SDSU to get the 3 seed.

If you do get the 3 seed you play the winner of the Fresno St. and San Jose St. game. Which most likely will be Fresno St. so that means we would play them back to back games and would have beat them. I would rather play UNLV to be honest in that situation.

If we went as the 4 seed it would most likely go UNLV then Boise St. then CSU/San Diego St in championship if we keep winning.

Other side of the bracket would most likely be Fresno St. then CSU then winner of Boise/San Diego st. In the championship.

So your choices are either UNLV/Boise St. to get to championship or Fresno St./CSU to get to championship.

I guess pick which way you like to go better. Neither is easy.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 127 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:22 pm
nirv117 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:14 pm I believe the tie breaker rules say if it is within 1 game of the average number played you go by the loss column not win percent (win/loss)

SEEDING FOR CHAMPIONSHIP
Thats fine. It would still work out the same way. You would need Nevada to beat SDSU to get the 3 seed.

If you do get the 3 seed you play the winner of the Fresno St. and San Jose St. game. Which most likely will be Fresno St. so that means we would play them back to back games and would have beat them. I would rather play UNLV to be honest in that situation.

If we went as the 4 seed it would most likely go UNLV then Boise St. then CSU/San Diego St in championship if we keep winning.

Other side of the bracket would most likely be Fresno St. then CSU then winner of Boise/San Diego st. In the championship.

So your choices are either UNLV/Boise St. to get to championship or Fresno St./CSU to get to championship.

I guess pick which way you like to go better. Neither is easy.
You are correct, neither is easy. It seems UNLV has an advantage as this is their home court. If UW doesn’t see improved play from Ike, and he will be doubled, it’s bleak.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I think teams will continue to play Ike physical and double team until we start hitting some 3's. Ike's not been getting to the line or really drawing fouls so theres no reason for any team to not copy the defensive blueprint that's been working against us. Just as long as they've got the guys to do it.

I don't anticipate the refs are going to call a lot of fouls in the tournament, so it might look a lot like the last five games. We just need guys other than Ike and Maldonado to start scoring and start hitting 3's to open things up.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 127 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:54 pm I think teams will continue to play Ike physical and double team until we start hitting some 3's. Ike's not been getting to the line or really drawing fouls so theres no reason for any team to not copy the defensive blueprint that's been working against us. Just as long as they've got the guys to do it.

I don't anticipate the refs are going to call a lot of fouls in the tournament, so it might look a lot like the last five games. We just need guys other than Ike and Maldonado to start scoring and start hitting 3's to open things up.
Yep, everyone’s following the CSewe blueprint and it’s slowed the Pokes down. It also seems like the NM loss took something out of them.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Do any of these scenarios include a home loss to Fresno?
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:41 pm Do any of these scenarios include a home loss to Fresno?
Yeah they are all included, Wyoming loses and they are still the 4 seed playing UNLV.

nirv117
Ranch Hand

If we lose to Fresno, we'd still be #4 seed. I belive If UNLV lost UNLV has the tie breaker over Fresno so they would be #5 and play us.
God is a Cowboy
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Guess all the seeds are locked in now no matter what the Aztecs do.

Wyoming will be playing UNLV for sure.

If we win then most likely play Boise St. unless they get upset by Nevada or New Mexico.

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

We do match up well with Boise and that could be another fun one
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

stymeman wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:14 am We do match up well with Boise and that could be another fun one
Yah but they haven’t beaten Vegas in Vegas since I had a full head of hair 20 years ago. Unfortunately I think they are one done. Hope I’m wrong.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Ya I don’t see this going well for us. We don’t win on the road in certain places and that is one of them.

I feel like the Basketball team falling apart might be related to so many games in a short period of time. But the games were lost put us on the bubble in a 12 seed so if we’re one and done at the tournament I don’t expect us to get in.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

I actually think Wyoming will beat Vegas this time. Wyoming will be a lot more fresh for this game than they were last time going out there. They put a new floor down so it isn’t “UNLV’s” main floor they play on. Will be fans from all teams there not just UNLV fans. Wyoming will have plenty of fans.
Linder will have them ready to go with that much time to game plan.

Also Jerry Palm of CBS updated his bracketology this morning. He has Wyoming as a 9 seed in the West against Murray St.

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:34 am
stymeman wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:14 am We do match up well with Boise and that could be another fun one
Yah but they haven’t beaten Vegas in Vegas since I had a full head of hair 20 years ago. Unfortunately I think they are one done. Hope I’m wrong.
Why don't you go back to making your crappy imperialist maps on twitter and stop trolling our board. We know who you are.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:27 am Ya I don’t see this going well for us. We don’t win on the road in certain places and that is one of them.

I feel like the Basketball team falling apart might be related to so many games in a short period of time. But the games were lost put us on the bubble in a 12 seed so if we’re one and done at the tournament I don’t expect us to get in.
I’ve seen us as a 9 seed in most brackets. Seems like a stretch that one more loss to a good team would completely knock us out
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:02 pm
Wyo2dal wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:27 am Ya I don’t see this going well for us. We don’t win on the road in certain places and that is one of them.

I’ve seen us as a 9 seed in most brackets. Seems like a stretch that one more loss to a good team would completely knock us out
I agree. We saved our asses yesterday. One and done may drop us to a play-in game, but I think the respect for the Mountain West this year will carry us in. Always depends what happens with other teams and conferences though