Athlon not buying what Bohl is selling

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I'm going to say we win 7 games and then lose the bowl game. I say this because our running game is going to be awesome and we've always been just an average QB away from winning the conference. Bohl has also overperformed when expectations were low and under performed when they were higher. I was a little worried about his demeanor during spring.

W Illinois (Peasley throws for 280 and 3TDS)
L Tulsa (We just beat a P5 so naturally we'll drop this one)
W UNC
W AF (always close, we get them this time)
L BYU (God hates me is why)
W SJSU (we finally beat the dreaded spartans)
W UNM (Lobos finally play a spirited wyoming team)
W Ut St. ( I didn't think they were great last and still don't)
W Hawaii (Sure)
L CSU (Playing the odds)
L BSU (Lose by 6 because we can't win without nfl qb converting 2 pt conversion and no Appleby)
L Fresno (Felt like a good way to end the season)

As you can see, we're 7-2 going into CSU just to drop 3 straight to crush us and to let us know the universe hates us. To me, there's lots of wins on the table. CSU, BSU and Fresno are all possible wins with a decent QB. Lost to BSU by 10, 8 and 3 in OT the last 3 matchups. I'm predicting we actually beat teams we should beat.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:36 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:02 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:47 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:22 pm Athlon has Goat Ewe predicted over us. Don’t see it, not buying it. Boise St isn’t the power they were either. I guess we’ll see.
How would you rank the mountain division then?

My predicted finish:

1. AFA
2. BSU
3. CSU (this hurts but I think they have finally gotten it right with Norvell)
4. WYO
5. USU
6. UNM
lol. Sheep at three and usu at 5? lmao
It may be my brown and gold glasses that puts us at #4 in the division, I can see us finishing 5th (or lower) but I can't imagine we would get to #3. As far as CSU and USU. I think they are going in different directions. I predict them to be the surprise teams.
Care to expound why you are so high on the Sheep and so down on the Aggies? Aggies won the conference last year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:54 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:36 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:02 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:47 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:22 pm Athlon has Goat Ewe predicted over us. Don’t see it, not buying it. Boise St isn’t the power they were either. I guess we’ll see.
How would you rank the mountain division then?

My predicted finish:

1. AFA
2. BSU
3. CSU (this hurts but I think they have finally gotten it right with Norvell)
4. WYO
5. USU
6. UNM
lol. Sheep at three and usu at 5? lmao
It may be my brown and gold glasses that puts us at #4 in the division, I can see us finishing 5th (or lower) but I can't imagine we would get to #3. As far as CSU and USU. I think they are going in different directions. I predict them to be the surprise teams.
Care to expound why you are so high on the Sheep and so down on the Aggies? Aggies won the conference last year.
I think there is a gap after #1 and #2. The third place team, IMO, will be closer to 6 than to number 1. As far as CSU...It's a bit of a gambler's fallacy argument. I think that CSU is going to have some new coach bounce in their step. They have a lot of stuff in place to succeed and haven't for some time now. I think that it starts with exceeding expectations this year.

USU did great last year but their roster has had as much upheaval as anybody. I just don't think they have the infrastructure to keep building on that success. I don't know if they will have a San Jose St level drop off....but I think that it will be pretty big.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

My Predicted finish:
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

CSU isn’t starting over. They are basically Nevada last year with better funding and a deeper roster. Yep - I’m predicting the Rams to the MWC championship game in the last year of divisions. Rocky Long has Bohl’s number. USU is once again loaded with transfer talent but will they gel? New college rules, AFA is going to struggle without the cut block.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 pm New college rules, AFA is going to struggle without the cut block.
Totally forgot about that ..
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Thinking about the point that Bohl overperforms when little is expected vs underperforms when more is expected.

I'm not sure I agree with that. We had a surprise in Josh Allen 1 year. The first 2 years not much was expected and I wouldn't consider those overperforming. Almost every other year has been an underperformance regardless of expectations.

I didn't put a ton of thought into this, so just curious what leads to the idea he somehow overperforms when nothing is expected?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 pm My Predicted finish:
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

CSU isn’t starting over. They are basically Nevada last year with better funding and a deeper roster. Yep - I’m predicting the Rams to the MWC championship game in the last year of divisions. Rocky Long has Bohl’s number. USU is once again loaded with transfer talent but will they gel? New college rules, AFA is going to struggle without the cut block.
:cry:
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:47 am Thinking about the point that Bohl overperforms when little is expected vs underperforms when more is expected.

I'm not sure I agree with that. We had a surprise in Josh Allen 1 year. The first 2 years not much was expected and I wouldn't consider those overperforming. Almost every other year has been an underperformance regardless of expectations.

I didn't put a ton of thought into this, so just curious what leads to the idea he somehow overperforms when nothing is expected?
My 2 cents...it's not an observation of Bohl. It's more of just following Wyoming sports. As a pokes fan...I have a lot of memories of high expectations not being met and being pleasantly surprised by a teams performance. I doubt that stands up to scrutiny but that has been my anecdotal experience as a pokes fan. Lots of disappointment when I felt like we should have been better punctuated by unexpectedly good results.

Can you look back at betting odds for pre-season win totals anywhere?
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

307bball wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:46 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:47 am Thinking about the point that Bohl overperforms when little is expected vs underperforms when more is expected.

My 2 cents...it's not an observation of Bohl. It's more of just following Wyoming sports. As a pokes fan...I have a lot of memories of high expectations not being met and being pleasantly surprised by a teams performance. I doubt that stands up to scrutiny but that has been my anecdotal experience as a pokes fan. Lots of disappointment when I felt like we should have been better punctuated by unexpectedly good results.

Can you look back at betting odds for pre-season win totals anywhere?
👍
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

I completely agree about CSU but I think that they will find a way to give the division to Boise in epic fashion. We HAVE TO, HAVE TO, HAVE TO beat New Mexico this year. The last 2 New Mexico games have been the most puzzling games of my Cowboy fanhood.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:34 pm
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

I completely agree about CSU but I think that they will find a way to give the division to Boise in epic fashion. We HAVE TO, HAVE TO, HAVE TO beat New Mexico this year. The last 2 New Mexico games have been the most puzzling games of my Cowboy fanhood.
Rocky Long is licking his chops again to go up against our offense again. The passing game must be more effective around our running game, I just don't like the flow of our offense. Back when Nebraska was a power running team, they could still throw the ball when they needed to. Tom Osborne was playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers. Bohl is still playing Checkers.
I'm good for 3!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:12 am
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

Rocky Long is licking his chops again to go up against our offense again. The passing game must be more effective around our running game, I just don't like the flow of our offense. Back when Nebraska was a power running team, they could still throw the ball when they needed to. Tom Osborne was playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers. Bohl is still playing Checkers.
Bohl is playing tic-tac-toe...and losing.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:12 am
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

We actually had the tools last year to exploit teams through the pass but it took the staff way too long to figure out that Williams was more capable of getting the ball to Neyor to keep defenses honest.

We no longer have those tools. Instead, we have a shorter QB that can create with his feet but no receivers with anywhere close to the physical skills of Neyor. Peasley will be running for his life when throwing lanes don't open and then I fear he will go down to injury at some point. After Peasley....let's put in Snow Junior College's 3rd string QB. A lot was made of Josh Allen's raw ability...but at least Allen started for his junior college team! Allen threw 26 TD passes in his one junior college season. Svoboda has 6 completions for 28 yards in his one junior college season. Apples to oranges.

To answer the question, can we beat last year's 3 point offensive output against New Mexico? Could be tough...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

I've been hearing about how CSU was going to turn it around for 10 years. Basically they're us but slightly poop
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:07 pm
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

I've been hearing about how CSU was going to turn it around for 10 years. Basically they're us but slightly sh#t[#]
Yea, except this is basically the first year of the transfer portal without penalty and NIL. Throw everything you knew out the window. Nevada was 8-4 last year BTW with a win at Boise (bowl game doesn't count because half the team already departed).
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

VOM. My best guess...

1. AFA
2. Boize
3. CSpewe
4. USU
5. UNM
6. Little League f-word!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:07 pm
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

I've been hearing about how CSU was going to turn it around for 10 years. Basically they're us but slightly sh#t[#]
I hear ya.... But... As they say, past performance is no indication of future returns. Let's hope it actually is for CSU but not for us.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

I swear, we could go 12-1 with an LA Bowl win and you would all bitch about Bohl losing 1 game. This has got to be the whiniest football board on the web.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:04 pm I swear, we could go 12-1 with an LA Bowl win and you would all bitch about Bohl losing 1 game. This has got to be the whiniest football board on the web.
Our one loss would have been to a 1-11 UNM team :lol:
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:09 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:04 pm I swear, we could go 12-1 with an LA Bowl win and you would all bitch about Bohl losing 1 game. This has got to be the whiniest football board on the web.
Our one loss would have been to a 1-11 UNM team :lol:
Ain't that the truth :puke: