Wyoming incoming freshman Jore Volk is a world champion....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

He's part of this monster recruiting class(probably the highest ranked recruiting class in Wyoming history for ANY sport). He just won the U20 world championship.

Our wrestling staff and team just keeps raising the bar. Now all we need is for someone to get the NCAA championship monkey off our backs.

Congrats to Jore Volk, and welcome to 7220.
Last edited by Old-Bull on Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Th is an amazing accomplishment and I’m excited to see him in the Brown and Gold!!

The last United States wrestler to win that weight class at the U20 worlds is a guy named Spencer Lee. For those that follow wrestling, no introduction is needed.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:27 pm Th is an amazing accomplishment and I’m excited to see him in the Brown and Gold!!

The last United States wrestler to win that weight class at the U20 worlds is a guy named Spencer Lee. For those that follow wrestling, no introduction is needed.
I don't follow wrestling as vigorously as I do basketball and football, but I like to watch it. I had to google Spencer Lee. That's pretty damn good company to be in for Volk. Maybe he'll end our wait for an NCAA championship and honor Dick Ballinger in the process.

Go Pokes!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wow, hell of an accomplishment. Very very very excited to see him in the Brown and Gold
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I know Volk was highly touted, but holy smokes, was it anticipated he would be this good? With this kind of accomplishment under his belt it would seem a disappointment if he was not an AA next year. Never want to put that type of pressure on anyone, but this is a big deal. Congrats, Jore
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:26 pm I know Volk was highly touted, but holy smokes, was it anticipated he would be this good? With this kind of accomplishment under his belt it would seem a disappointment he he was not an AA next year. Never want to put that type of pressure on anyone, but this is a big deal. Congrats, Jore
When he committed to Wyoming in 2021, he took 3rd at Fargo junior freestyle (losing 4-7 in the semis). I'd say going from 3rd place at Fargo to a World Champion one year later is quite a non-typical jump. Also keep in mind so as to not put unrealistic expectations on the kid - there are some real good freestyle wrestlers out there who just aren't the best collegiate folk style wrestlers. My worry is that a big program like an Iowa/Penn State/Oklahoma State is going to attempt to entice a world champion wrestler like Volk to transfer with some NIL/endorsement money from their large wrestling fanbases.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Interesting Stat: 3 of the 4 medalists for the United States at the U20 Worlds came from Big 12 wrestling programs. And none of the medalists came from the 'big' programs (i.e. Okie State, Iowa, etc..): Cal-Baptist (Silver) and South Dakota State (Silver). I really hope the transfer portal and NIL carrots don't deprive these smaller programs of elite world wrestlers.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/26044
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:22 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:26 pm I know Volk was highly touted, but holy smokes, was it anticipated he would be this good? With this kind of accomplishment under his belt it would seem a disappointment he he was not an AA next year. Never want to put that type of pressure on anyone, but this is a big deal. Congrats, Jore
When he committed to Wyoming in 2021, he took 3rd at Fargo junior freestyle (losing 4-7 in the semis). I'd say going from 3rd place at Fargo to a World Champion one year later is quite a non-typical jump. Also keep in mind so as to not put unrealistic expectations on the kid - there are some real good freestyle wrestlers out there who just aren't the best collegiate folk style wrestlers. My worry is that a big program like an Iowa/Penn State/Oklahoma State is going to attempt to entice a world champion wrestler like Volk to transfer with some NIL/endorsement money from their large wrestling fanbases.
That is an amazing jump from 3rd at Fargo to world champion. Perhaps he's just scratching the surface of his potential. Good point about freestyle and collegiate - hope it translates.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

It translates fairly well to point. I personally didn't have much issue with it. I started folk style vs freestyle though so the transition back and forth may have been easier, can't say for sure. But I firmly believe he will be good for the brown and gold.

Who can say why he chose Wyoming, but enjoy it regardless. Wyoming is definitely a program on the rise and will be very good in the future.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

aranderson wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:46 pm It translates fairly well to point. I personally didn't have much issue with it. I started folk style vs freestyle though so the transition back and forth may have been easier, can't say for sure. But I firmly believe he will be good for the brown and gold.

Who can say why he chose Wyoming, but enjoy it regardless. Wyoming is definitely a program on the rise and will be very good in the future.
I wrestled freestyle for only a couple years as a kid then of course folk style, collegiate, whatever you want to call it, NORMAL wrestling lol, in high school. I mean, it's all still wrestling, and certainly nothing like greco vs collegiate, but I can't say how stark the difference is between high level freestyle and high level collegiate. Yeah, I'm sure he's going to be a really, really good one for us.

I am curious about his size. Is he a big 125 lber? I recall Tyler Cox and how small he was. He was noticeably smaller than his opponents at 125. If there were like a 118 lb class Cox would have been competing for the championship. There is such a thing as being too small for 125, so I hope Volk is not in the physical mold of Cox, but a bit bigger.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:54 pm
aranderson wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:46 pm It translates fairly well to point. I personally didn't have much issue with it. I started folk style vs freestyle though so the transition back and forth may have been easier, can't say for sure. But I firmly believe he will be good for the brown and gold.

I wrestled freestyle for only a couple years as a kid then of course folk style, collegiate, whatever you want to call it, NORMAL wrestling lol, in high school. I mean, it's all still wrestling, and certainly nothing like greco vs collegiate, but I can't say how stark the difference is between high level freestyle and high level collegiate. Yeah, I'm sure he's going to be a really, really good one for us.

I am curious about his size. Is he a big 125 lber? I recall Tyler Cox and how small he was. He was noticeably smaller than his opponents at 125. If there were like a 118 lb class Cox would have been competing for the championship. There is such a thing as being too small for 125, so I hope Volk is not in the physical mold of Cox, but a bit bigger.
I personally wrestled with Cox in highschool. He was small then. Always 103. So he had to work hard to come close to 125. Only ever lost to one kid his freshman year when I was a senior. Can't deny he was a scrapper though. But looking at photos of Volk he looks substantially bigger framed than Cox was.