Boston College letdown

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I understand we played alot of this game without Maldo, yes I get that, but 48 points being scored isn't going to win you many games neither. Being this deep I think is a deterrent. No one else knows what to do, but my question is when is anyone going to start shooting the ball efficiently. I understand it's early in the season too but make a damn basket, good teams do around the country(maybe we're not??) Being down 2 studs sux beyond all recognition but show me want to and desire as well....pre season press clipping readings is what i think we have here. Hope things get figured and soon(no bball players or coaches were harmed or attacked in the typing of this message)

Just another day in the life at Medocre U, aka UW
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

There is no plan on offense. We are a listless, rudderless ship at the moment.
CowGalxoHoops
Buckaroo

The most important thing going on here is you actually care. Correct me if I am wrong but my guess is there is not a lot of internal pressure (Wyoming admin) or external pressure (fan base or donors) to win. Maybe programs at our level mid-tier MWC don't have the budget to demand more and we have to be happy and content with this product. Am I right my friend?

As far as the team...it probably has come down to lack of alpha dawg leadership. Maldo is a smart kid and a nice guy (all great qualities) but the consensus has to be that we are a pretty soft team. We have no players that are actually tough or physical. Even Ike is somewhat awkward in that role. Right now even if we had Ike and he was being doubled we don't have KEY players on the same page that understand the offense (That's on Linder). Team chemistry is hard to develop.

It looks like the NIT this year. We should get in there with Ike.
If your dreams don't scare you they aren't BIG enough - GO POKES!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

CowGalxoHoops wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:49 pm The most important thing going on here is you actually care. Correct me if I am wrong but my guess is there is not a lot of internal pressure (Wyoming admin) or external pressure (fan base or donors) to win. Maybe programs at our level mid-tier MWC don't have the budget to demand more and we have to be happy and content with this product. Am I right my friend?

As far as the team...it probably has come down to lack of alpha dawg leadership. Maldo is a smart kid and a nice guy (all great qualities) but the consensus has to be that we are a pretty soft team. We have no players that are actually tough or physical. Even Ike is somewhat awkward in that role. Right now even if we had Ike and he was being doubled we don't have KEY players on the same page that understand the offense (That's on Linder). Team chemistry is hard to develop.

It looks like the NIT this year. We should get in there with Ike.

Some of what you say I will agree with starting with softness and lack of physically from what I'm seeing by just going thru the motions and standing around doing alot of peer watching and wait results to happen. If this continues conference opponents will tear our game apart and shoot over us and be successful. I miss Ike like no other but I truly wonder if he's gained a K.iller I.nstinct...hard to say. Coach didn't sound very pleased with anything and I wonder with this many potentially stellar players if its a bit much for him and he's over his head somewhat. Cmon Coach be a good teacher and lead this team to where u want it to go. Depth would be great but if everyone is bought in and ready to go, help them get there!

It gets very old to wait every 7-10 year to make the Big Dance and disappear again...this squad has a chance to build a true dynasty with our recruits and coaches so we don't hafta wait forever to get back in another 7 years. I ask for more and more year in and year out, I'm guessing i shouldn't be so demanding, which is harder and harder the older I get, unfortunately.

NIT should be the goal now and if a miraculous thing happens BONUS.....TIME TO PLAY UW BASKETBALL after Thanksgiving!!!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

I'm not convinced we have that many stellar players. Like a previous poster said no one can seem to make a bucket consistently except Maldonado. I expected with the depth we would have scoring from basically any player out there and after 5 games it seems Maldonado remains the only consistent scorer. Maybe it is the lack offensive identity or the lack of the team being able to gel or something else. But we just finished the easiest part of our schedule at 3-3, looking at the next 6 games I don't think we go 3-3 unless we see an immediate improvement.

I think NIT is a stretch at this point. We need to get some upset wins in the next 6 games to still be even in NIT conversation. If we come out of non-conference with a losing record I think we will be at the point of winning the mw tournament as the only chance of any post season
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

We had a very very bad November. My take is that this team was built around Ike as the centerpiece. They worked all offseason on an offense that focused on him and Maldonado. Losing him wrecked our entire gameplan. The staff is working to repair it temporarily until Ike is back, but you can't undo 6 months of work in a few weeks.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyomingAgJ wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:27 am I'm not convinced we have that many stellar players. Like a previous poster said no one can seem to make a bucket consistently except Maldonado. I expected with the depth we would have scoring from basically any player out there and after 5 games it seems Maldonado remains the only consistent scorer. Maybe it is the lack offensive identity or the lack of the team being able to gel or something else. But we just finished the easiest part of our schedule at 3-3, looking at the next 6 games I don't think we go 3-3 unless we see an immediate improvement.

I think NIT is a stretch at this point. We need to get some upset wins in the next 6 games to still be even in NIT conversation. If we come out of non-conference with a losing record I think we will be at the point of winning the mw tournament as the only chance of any post season
I think it’s pretty obvious we don’t have many good players. We had three last year in Ike, Maldo and Jeffries. Now we have one, maldo, when he’s not injured or in foul trouble . I think Reynolds could be good if given a chance , but Linder would rather play someone that can’t shoot.

All that excitement - poof, gone
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:21 am
WyomingAgJ wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:27 am I'm not convinced we have that many stellar players. Like a previous poster said no one can seem to make a bucket consistently except Maldonado. I expected with the depth we would have scoring from basically any player out there and after 5 games it seems Maldonado remains the only consistent scorer. Maybe it is the lack offensive identity or the lack of the team being able to gel or something else. But we just finished the easiest part of our schedule at 3-3, looking at the next 6 games I don't think we go 3-3 unless we see an immediate improvement.

I think it’s pretty obvious we don’t have many good players. We had three last year in Ike, Maldo and Jeffries. Now we have one, maldo, when he’s not injured or in foul trouble . I think Reynolds could be good if given a chance , but Linder would rather play someone that can’t shoot.

I somehow under-rated Jeffries impact on last years squad...you are absolutely correct that his absence is huge.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:36 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:21 am

I somehow under-rated Jeffries impact on last years squad...you are absolutely correct that his absence is huge.
Jeffries was so good. He was a great shooter obviously, but also a tremendous rebounder and defender. Led the team in blocks

It’s disconcerting how there has been no player improvement since Linder got here. Guys like DuSell haven’t gotten any better since their freshman year. He can’t shoot, dribble or score any better and still has the physique of a true freshman
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:17 am
307bball wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:36 am

Jeffries was so good. He was a great shooter obviously, but also a tremendous rebounder and defender. Led the team in blocks

It’s disconcerting how there has been no player improvement since Linder got here. Guys like DuSell haven’t gotten any better since their freshman year. He can’t shoot, dribble or score any better and still has the physique of a true freshman
All of our guys are built like toothpicks. Where's the beef?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:17 am

All of our guys are built like toothpicks. Where's the beef?
For those who don't remember the 1980s...

I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!