Sports movies that are irrelevant these days...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Thought about this while watching "Blue Chips" the other night...

Blue Chips wouldn't even be a movie in 2022, with NIL and the Portal. Wow have times changed. Any others you all can think of?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Rollerball. When I saw this movie as a kid, I so wanted this to be the future of sports.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I would have said semi-pro until I watched our offense last year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:52 am I would have said semi-pro until I watched our offense last year.
LOL - love it. Maybe we should try the eye liner thing? :rofl:
Dear Karma,

GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

The Semi-Pro Video Comparison to last year's offense is the funniest thing I've seen all day. Thank you.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Hoosiers, although a great movie, the game of basketball isn't played like that anymore and for any young person watching it may not hold their attention
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:38 pm Hoosiers, although a great movie, the game of basketball isn't played like that anymore and for any young person watching it may not hold their attention
Good call!
Dear Karma,

Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:38 pm Hoosiers, although a great movie, the game of basketball isn't played like that anymore and for any young person watching it may not hold their attention
Not sure you could call that movie "irrelevant". It's an historical fiction film with pretty timeless themes and motifs. The manner the game is played and portrayed in the film is almost irrelevant to the story, which is still relevant to our times. Might as well call Knute Rockne, All American irrelevant because they wore leather helmets and hardly ever threw the ball. Is Glory Road irrelevant because of four periods and no three-point line? No, the STORY is still relevant. Blue Chips may have been rendered somewhat irrelevant due to NIL and transfer rules, as a certain level of predatory exploitation is at the crux of the story and its central conflict, but viewed in the context of 90's College Basketball, its story, too, still has relevance.

Now Caddyshack might be irrelevant now. Every character in that movie would be "cancelled", fired, or in jail today...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

We NEVER mess with the cult classic Caddyshack ever. A friend of mine and I were talking about doing a movie about what Carl has been doing these past 40 years, where he's living and working. I'm sure it would attract an audience somewhere!! Long live Carl!!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Not a film, but I'd propose the Heisman Trophy has jumped the proverbial shark...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Totally. Giving it a qb who lost two games to Utah??