Is Bohl Still Our Head Coach?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

jessejames02 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:44 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:46 am That's because there's nothing to say. Do you REALLY think they're going to can Bohl after this season? REALLY? I'm as frustrated as any Cowboys fan with the string of mediocrity, but it's a hell of a lot better than the years of sub-.500 football since Dimel left.
Bohl’s going into year 10 52-55 overall and 32-38 in conference.

For him to be .500 in his TENTH year he needs to win this bowl game and go 7-5 next year. To be .500 in conference he needs to go 7-1.

He has zero conference championships.

It is sub .500 football.
Sounds like $2M well spent!
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:09 pm Sanders will do fine at CU. Fans in general aren't even expecting more than 5-7 wins year one... after that, opinions seem to split, though.

Their main issue is that he'll likely only last two years before he gets picked up by a program with much deeper pockets.

CU's getting crazy talent already. TCU has had an amazing season after hitting the portal hard... while I don't think Buffs will have quite the same results, they should still be decent.
Bingo.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

jessejames02 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:44 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:46 am That's because there's nothing to say. Do you REALLY think they're going to can Bohl after this season? REALLY? I'm as frustrated as any Cowboys fan with the string of mediocrity, but it's a hell of a lot better than the years of sub-.500 football since Dimel left.
Bohl’s going into year 10 52-55 overall and 32-38 in conference.

For him to be .500 in his TENTH year he needs to win this bowl game and go 7-5 next year. To be .500 in conference he needs to go 7-1.

He has zero conference championships.

It is sub .500 football.
Far be it from me to stand up for Bohl...but this is a disingenuous take. You are technically accurate about Bohl's overall record, but any mention of Bohl's body of work should point out the difference in the program starting in 2016. The Bohl era began in 2014 but the first "Bohl" squad was 2016. Since that time he is 46-37 overall and 28-26 in conference.

Nobody would call that dominating the conference but in that time period...that puts us into the top half of the MW...Not as high as any of us want....but when people mention the meager success that Bohl has achieved, that is what is being referred to.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Interesting article about Jared Scott, former cowboy wr.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sport ... ecdfa.html

It is going to be impossible to hang on to good receivers with our current offensive scheme.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

djm19 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:03 pm Interesting article about Jared Scott, former cowboy wr.

It is going to be impossible to hang on to good receivers with our current offensive scheme.
Vander Waal has cited Wyoming’s run-heavy scheme as one of the reasons why he eventually left the school
:lol: Coming from a QB for a 1-10 team who has been asked to transfer.... I liked his attitude but he simply doesn't not have the skills to be an effective QB in any style offense. Much less be judging Wyoming's
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 229 times

djm19 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:03 pm Interesting article about Jared Scott, former cowboy wr.

Vander Waal's transfer was very much mutual if not encouraged. The coaching staff even let him dress for the bowl game knowing he would be transferring to FCS. A competitor but not an FBS QB by really any measure.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:05 pm

Vander Waal's transfer was very much mutual if not encouraged. The coaching staff even let him dress for the bowl game knowing he would be transferring to FCS. A competitor but not an FBS QB by really any measure.
I'll still never forget the comeback in the snow against Air force. It was the best he ever played. And Austin Conway made a td catch that has to be one of the greatest in Wyoming history. Having said all that, it's a poor reflection on Bohl that the successor to Josh Allen was a qb not heavily recruited and whose skills were not at D1 levels. I guess it shows that JA was a needle in a haystack fluke because the level of recruit at the qb level is nothing short of abysmal.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:36 pm

I'll still never forget the comeback in the snow against Air force. It was the best he ever played. And Austin Conway made a td catch that has to be one of the greatest in Wyoming history. Having said all that, it's a poor reflection on Bohl that the successor to Josh Allen was a qb not heavily recruited and whose skills were not at D1 levels. I guess it shows that JA was a needle in a haystack fluke because the level of recruit at the qb level is nothing short of abysmal.
Chambers, Peasley and Levi Williams all have some talent for the FBS level...especially running the ball. I don't believe any of them were used effectively. The numbers that Chambers has put up at Montana State playing some of the top FCS schools are really eye popping.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Wonder if over the years if Coach Leach ever considered coaching at Wyoming being from good ole WYO but maybe his going to BYU disallowed that, lol....he will be missed. Wish the Air Raid coulda thrived at 7220, RIP Coach
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Vander Wall is back in the portal. He was good enough to start at Idaho State before he was injured and was conference new comer of the year in 2021.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

doreno5 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:34 am

Vander Wall is back in the portal. He was good enough to start at Idaho State before he was injured and was conference new comer of the year in 2021.
How does vanderwaal still have eligibility lol
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:57 pm
How does vanderwaal still have eligibility lol
He's still a young pup by BYU standards.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wow! He has quite a travelled career. If I recall correctly, he initially committed to Ball State and switched last minute to Wyoming in high school.

If you’re transferring from Idaho State and weren’t the starter there over the last year, I’d imagine you are looking at division 2 or division 3 football.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:20 pm
Wow! He has quite a travelled career. If I recall correctly, he initially committed to Ball State and switched last minute to Wyoming in high school.

If you’re transferring from Idaho State and weren’t the starter there over the last year, I’d imagine you are looking at division 2 or division 3 football.
He was the starter before he was injured. New coach at ISU probably wants to bring in his own players so goodbye Tyler. And no, I would not take him back . He had some moments but was mostly bad.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

TVW’s numbers were probably about as good as peasley’s lol
doreno5
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:39 pm TVW’s numbers were probably about as good as peasley’s lol
In other words--bad
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

The football program has been scarily silent as far as our head coach is concerned. No press conferences with the media, no announcements, nothing. This goes back to some dubious public relations strategies by the athletic department. What are the chances that Bohl coaches the game against Ohio and then announces his retirement and then the school names Vigen as the new coach?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:20 pm The football program has been scarily silent as far as our head coach is concerned. No press conferences with the media, no announcements, nothing. This goes back to some dubious public relations strategies by the athletic department. What are the chances that Bohl coaches the game against Ohio and then announces his retirement and then the school names Vigen as the new coach?
I would say the chances are about the same as Mike Leach being named the new coach.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:20 pm The football program has been scarily silent as far as our head coach is concerned. No press conferences with the media, no announcements, nothing. This goes back to some dubious public relations strategies by the athletic department. What are the chances that Bohl coaches the game against Ohio and then announces his retirement and then the school names Vigen as the new coach?
I would take that if Sawvel would stay. Hopefully we would be able to keep most of the things we like about the program and improve the offense.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

...and Slim just left town...