Why no Agbonkpolo

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

He appeared to be the one transfer that could be a difference maker. I've seen some good things from him in games. He's tall, has beaten a guy off the dribble and made it all the way to the rim and made a shot (more than can be said for most of this team), has blocked a shot, and rebounds about as well as anyone on the team. Is Linder's dog house a black hole? Once you go in you can never get back out? What gives??????
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:23 am He appeared to be the one that transfer that could be a difference maker. I've seen some good things from him in games. He's tall, has beaten a guy off the dribble and made it all the way to the rim and made a shot (more than can be said for most of this team), has blocked a shot, and rebounds about as well as anyone on the team. Is Linder's dog house a black hole? Once you go in you can never get back out? What gives??????
It makes no sense. Thompson played more than 30 minutes last night. He doesn't rebound and he's a liability on defense. On offense, he's just another body standing outside the 3 point line. It has to some kind of discipline issue. Linder must not like his effort level in practice or some other issue we are not aware of because he should be playing as much if not more than any other guy on the court.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Lets assume that Linder has not perfectly optimized his rotation and that some mistakes are being made when it comes to playing time decisions. I think we can all agree that, at the very least, some version of this is the case.

IF that were not the case...how many wins does perfectly playing this group get us by this point in the season? I tend to agree that Agbonkpolo looks to have a ton of upside and would like to see him on the floor more....but does any combo of these guys lead to more wins? Maybe one or two but my opinion is that the ship is on it's way down. Re-arranging the deck chairs may make the seating more comfortable but this voyage ends at the bottom of the ocean.

I'd like to see Agbonkpolo just to give him a chance to develop....but I'm pretty sure that wins won't come out of it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:37 am Lets assume that Linder has not perfectly optimized his rotation and that some mistakes are being made when it comes to playing time decisions. I think we can all agree that, at the very least, some version of this is the case.

IF that were not the case...how many wins does perfectly playing this group get us by this point in the season? I tend to agree that Agbonkpolo looks to have a ton of upside and would like to see him on the floor more....but does any combo of these guys lead to more wins? Maybe one or two but my opinion is that the ship is on it's way down. Re-arranging the deck chairs may make the seating more comfortable but this voyage ends at the bottom of the ocean.

I'd like to see Agbonkpolo just to give him a chance to develop....but I'm pretty sure that wins won't come out of it.
Just a play here or there could have won the game last night. Maybe 6'10'' Agbonkpolo is able to come down with a rebound in the last minute and we win.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Also, Kyman kind of has a funky old man game and can seem to make two pointers. I know he was supposed to be a three point sniper, but I like his inside game and he weighs more than 157 lbs and can hold his own physically somewhat
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I’d say Max won’t be around long. His facial expressions and lack of enthusiasm on the bench reveal he isn’t happy with the situation. I agree he should be getting the minutes based on physical talent (and it a not like he could do any worse than we are already doing).

I’m nervous that the basketball program could revert to the depths of the edwards era train wreck. Linder certainly isn’t going to be offered by anyone else with a pulse.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:12 am I’d say Max won’t be around long. His facial expressions and lack of enthusiasm on the bench reveal he isn’t happy with the situation. I agree he should be getting the minutes based on physical talent (and it a not like he could do any worse than we are already doing).

I’m nervous that the basketball program could revert to the depths of the edwards era train wreck. Linder certainly isn’t going to be offered by anyone else with a pulse.
I haven't seen anything from Agbonkpolo that leads me to believe he's a good post player. In the 8 games he's played in, he seemed to turn the ball over and wasn't a great defender inside or outside. Not saying he doesn't have a place on the floor, but it's not as a post player. He averaged fewer rebounds/minute than Thompson.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:46 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:12 am I’d say Max won’t be around long. His facial expressions and lack of enthusiasm on the bench reveal he isn’t happy with the situation. I agree he should be getting the minutes based on physical talent (and it a not like he could do any worse than we are already doing).

I haven't seen anything from Agbonkpolo that leads me to believe he's a good post player. In the 8 games he's played in, he seemed to turn the ball over and wasn't a great defender inside or outside. Not saying he doesn't have a place on the floor, but it's not as a post player. He averaged fewer rebounds/minute than Thompson.
I know he provides much more versatility on offense than just standing around the perimeter waiting to jack a 3.

A this point, my starting 5 would be: DuSell, Max, Oden, Reynolds, Wenzel. This maximizes our athleticism and versatility in matchups, gives us our best 3 point shooters on the floor, reduces Maldo turnovers.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Couldn't possibly be worse than a playing-out-of-position Thompson. Maybe Max isn't willing to play this role, as I know he wants to be the "ultimate 3 and D guy" per his own words. Or maybe Linder hasn't even thought of it
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

lots of pretty good observations....it's true that it doesn't take much to swing a close basketball game. Maybe Max gets us over the top in a tight road game last night. Man...is there a season in recent memory where the expectations mis-matched the results like this one is shaping up to be?
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:06 pm

Couldn't possibly be worse than a playing-out-of-position Thompson. Maybe Max isn't willing to play this role, as I know he wants to be the "ultimate 3 and D guy" per his own words. Or maybe Linder hasn't even thought of it
I'm not defending Thompson as a post player, but Max is almost 40 pounds lighter. Hard for me to see Max as a good defender in the post or rebounder. I'd like to see more Caden Powell as the season goes on. He's got the right attitude. If his coordination catches up he could be good.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:16 pm lots of pretty good observations....it's true that it doesn't take much to swing a close basketball game. Maybe Max gets us over the top in a tight road game last night. Man...is there a season in recent memory where the expectations mis-matched the results like this one is shaping up to be?
I don’t remember a season anytime (football or basketball) with expectations this high and the results so bad. There were national folks talking about Wyoming as a sweet 16 team. This team couldn’t make the sweet 16 of the CBI.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:14 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:16 pm lots of pretty good observations....it's true that it doesn't take much to swing a close basketball game. Maybe Max gets us over the top in a tight road game last night. Man...is there a season in recent memory where the expectations mis-matched the results like this one is shaping up to be?
I don’t remember a season anytime (football or basketball) with expectations this high and the results so bad. There were national folks talking about Wyoming as a sweet 16 team. This team couldn’t make the sweet 16 of the CBI.
This basketball season makes 2017 Wyoming football, the season after the CCG appearance and Josh Allen said "Let's go to a Fiesta Bowl", a mild disappointment, look like Apollo 11.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:58 pm A this point, my starting 5 would be: DuSell, Max, Oden, Reynolds, Wenzel.
Anybody remember seeing these five in a game all at once?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:47 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:58 pm A this point, my starting 5 would be: DuSell, Max, Oden, Reynolds, Wenzel.
Anybody remember seeing these five in a game all at once?
I don't. Only Wenzel and Reynolds get real minutes. DuSell comes in (and a few starts) and is taken out within minutes. Never a chance to get into a rhythm. Maldo gets 35 minutes a game no matter how careless he is with the ball.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Thought i could get to like Max but like i always like to think...if they are so good then why are they here at UW??? These lineups better get it soon cuz i Don't think Ike is coming back, unfortunately and it's time to see what Maldo is made of and soon
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:45 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:14 pm

This basketball season makes 2017 Wyoming football, the season after the CCG appearance and Josh Allen said "Let's go to a Fiesta Bowl", a mild disappointment, look like Apollo 11.
The difference is that we knew josh was probably going to struggle with no wide receivers and Brian leaving to the NFL. There was hope CJ would fill in but we lost him for the season. I thought this team would be pretty good even without Ike.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

We are Wyoming remember