Bohl's final thoughts on the season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Not sure when or if Bohl will hold a final press conference to tie up this just completed season, but if he does what do you think he will say and what would you like him to say?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:44 pm Not sure when or if Bohl will hold a final press conference to tie up this just completed season, but if he does what do you think he will say and what would you like him to say?
We’re building something special. Those who stay will be champions.

Insert whatever drivel you want. SSDD.

We don’t have an offense. We will never get more than 7 wins in this crap system. When we do get players we might build with, they will transfer. We are locked between 4 and 7 wins.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

"Next season I guarantee that we'll be the biggest big dogs pissing in the tallest grass around"
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:48 pm "Next season I guarantee that we'll be the biggest big dogs pissing in the tallest grass around"
Yep. No one seeing you play in the tall grass of Barstool’ s AZ Bowl, while the public and announcers piss all over us. We are a joke.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I wanna hear some platitudes
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:56 pm I wanna hear some platitudes
Just wait til next year…we will be competitive in the New Mexico Bowl.

We are a young team that is growing.

We are learning.

Ohio (without their starting QB) is a great team. We are good when you look at how awesome Ohio is.

I’m proud of our guys for competing. They’ve been thru a lot.

We kept fighting. I loved the effort. We just could not get a stop at the end.

SSDFD.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:44 pm Not sure when or if Bohl will hold a final press conference to tie up this just completed season, but if he does what do you think he will say and what would you like him to say?
"Those who stay will be champions."
"We are going to tinker with the offense in the offseason."
"We had a young team, we're right there."
"Get me my metamucil."
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

What I would like to hear?

"Grant and Polasek have been relieved of their duties effective immediately, and we're taking a hard look at others on the staff as well. We're also going to be looking at some major changes to our system and seeing if we can't bring in a bit more of a modern offense....that our current personnel and players can adapt to, of course...and maybe set them up for a bit more success. I'll admit i've been a bit stubborn with some things there, and that's on me, but we're gonna see if we can't teach this old dog new tricks." [insert Bohl's endearing smirk here]

What we'll likely hear:

"We've got a young football team; I'm confident in them and what we have here but we've got some work to do."

What we'll see:

The same poop in year 10 as we saw in years 1-9 (with the exception of a few flukey moments in 2016 when the best QB of this generation put the team on his back).
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Contract is up in 2024, thats 2 more years of this medocrity or maybe Bohl pulls one outta his arse, but hopefully Burman isn't considering an extension especially after that bowl fiasco. The game is passing coach by and it's time to say good bye
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:28 pm What I would like to hear?

"Grant and Polasek have been relieved of their duties effective immediately, and we're taking a hard look at others on the staff as well. We're also going to be looking at some major changes to our system and seeing if we can't bring in a bit more of a modern offense....that our current personnel and players can adapt to, of course...and maybe set them up for a bit more success. I'll admit i've been a bit stubborn with some things there, and that's on me, but we're gonna see if we can't teach this old dog new tricks." [insert Bohl's endearing smirk here]

What we'll likely hear:

"We've got a young football team; I'm confident in them and what we have here but we've got some work to do."

What we'll see:

The same [#]sh#t in year 10 as we saw in years 1-9 (with the exception of a few flukey moments in 2016 when the best QB of this generation put the team on his back).
What we'll likely see is $2M+ flushed down the toilet.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

stymeman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:57 pm Contract is up in 2024, thats 2 more years of this medocrity or maybe Bohl pulls one outta his arse, but hopefully Burman isn't considering an extension especially after that bowl fiasco. The game is passing coach by and it's time to say good bye
I don't think the bowl game was a fiasco. We played a linebacker at running back. Our best player in the secondary hit the portal, as did our #1 receiver. I thought we acquitted ourselves pretty well, all things considered. There's some talent on this team. I wish we had a qb coach who knew what he was doing because Peasley has some arm talent. This season turned out way better than I thought it was going to. But I don't think Bohl is getting an extension. He's at the age where his bargaining power to go somewhere else is gone. I know Bill Synder coached well into his 70's but I don't see that happening here.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:36 am
I don't think the bowl game was a fiasco. We played a linebacker at running back. Our best player in the secondary hit the portal, as did our #1 receiver. I thought we acquitted ourselves pretty well, all things considered. There's some talent on this team.
This.

A) I'm one of Bohl's biggest critics, and there's a lot to be mad about and a lot of poop wrong with this program right now.

B) We overperformed for much of that bowl game (and tbh the season at large), and that's something that these young men, coaches, and us fans should be proud of.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
I wish we had a qb coach who knew what he was doing because Peasley has some arm talent.
The people that wanted to bench Peasley always made me laugh. He showed a lot of good things at USU and most Aggies fans I spoke to were sad to see him go. He's not the only talented QB that has been held back by our overall offensive philosophy and our QB coaching and development.

Say it with me, folks....the QBs are not the problem. (TVW might have been, but that's about it.)
He's at the age where his bargaining power to go somewhere else is gone.
To be fair, I don't think Bohl wants to go anywhere else. For a few reasons, I'm 99% sure Wyoming is (and always has been) his last stop.

When the train reaches that station is the only question.

While I don't think Burman has the balls to fire Bohl outright before his contract ends, I also think he's going to start to be under a massive amount of pressure from the school, boosters, etc. about continuing to overpay relative to his actual numbers....and that may force his hand. Especially if we have another 6-6, 7-6 year. No way anyone in a position of power tolerates Bohl continuing to be one of the highest paid coaches in the MWC with those numbers, and there's also no way Bohl takes a 25% pay cut.

I think the contract goes full term and then Bohl retires, either willingly or by encouragement behind closed doors (to save face).

(In some alternate reality, he could suddenly have an epiphany, fire his entire offensive staff, and rebuild from scratch with a new system in an effort to adapt. If that were to happen, it'll happen this week. Any later, and it becomes impossible to find qualified coaches that are still available. but yea, that's not gonna happen anyway. Lol.)
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

I think I've landed at that I'm fine with Bohl as head coach. I think he's a great CEO for the football program. However, I'd like him to be a hands-off CEO. Let the OC and DC run their teams as they see fit without influence. However, if this team is going to get to the next level, and still run a program like Bohl would like to run, we need to break away from this NDSU/Iowa coaching tree and look at the coaching trees at Utah, TCU, and Kansas State (yes, I know Klieman is an NDSU guy, but his offense would be a nice one to model after). Wyoming seems to be looking more like Iowa's offense than those offenses. I think Wyoming could easily recruit and be successful modeling themselves after Utah. To do this I think UW will need to part ways with Tim Polasek and Mike Grant. Long overdue for the latter.
ImageImageImageImage
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:25 pm I think I've landed at that I'm fine with Bohl as head coach. I think he's a great CEO for the football program. However, I'd like him to be a hands-off CEO. Let the OC and DC run their teams as they see fit without influence.
That's literally all those of us calling for Bohl's head have ever wanted. A different offense away from Bohl's preferred philosophy and his coaching buddies. That's the only thing that has held the team back since 2017.

I've said it repeatedly...I don't actually want Bohl gone. I like Bohl. I like his defenses, his defensive hires, and his defensive (and ST) players, development, and recruiting. I like his personality and attitude [outside of bristling when he's called out or pushed on certain things]. I like a lot about the way he views football as a whole. He's a great cultural fit, and he's done a lot for the program.

I just want a damned offense (and maybe some better game/clock management).

But at the end of the day, something about horses and water...and if Bohl's gonna keep being stubborn, then he needs to go too. Adapt or die.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

It truly is mind boggling that he hasn't figured out an offense. It mainly starts with his inability to land a good QB.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:23 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:36 am
I don't think the bowl game was a fiasco. We played a linebacker at running back. Our best player in the secondary hit the portal, as did our #1 receiver. I thought we acquitted ourselves pretty well, all things considered. There's some talent on this team.
This. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

A) I'm one of Bohl's biggest critics, and there's a lot to be mad about and a lot of Sh#t wrong with this program right now.

B) We overperformed for much of that bowl game (and tbh the season at large), and that's something that these young men, coaches, and us fans should be proud of.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
I wish we had a qb coach who knew what he was doing because Peasley has some arm talent.
The people that wanted to bench Peasley always made me laugh. He showed a lot of good things at USU and most Aggies fans I spoke to were sad to see him go. He's not the only talented QB that has been held back by our overall offensive philosophy and our QB coaching and development.

Say it with me, folks....the QBs are not the problem. (TVW might have been, but that's about it.)
He's at the age where his bargaining power to go somewhere else is gone.
To be fair, I don't think Bohl wants to go anywhere else. For a few reasons, I'm 99% sure Wyoming is (and always has been) his last stop.

When the train reaches that station is the only question.

While I don't think Burman has the balls to fire Bohl outright before his contract ends, I also think he's going to start to be under a massive amount of pressure from the school, boosters, etc. about continuing to overpay relative to his actual numbers....and that may force his hand. Especially if we have another 6-6, 7-6 year. No way anyone in a position of power tolerates Bohl continuing to be one of the highest paid coaches in the MWC with those numbers, and there's also no way Bohl takes a 25% pay cut.

I think the contract goes full term and then Bohl retires, either willingly or by encouragement behind closed doors (to save face).

(In some alternate reality, he could suddenly have an epiphany, fire his entire offensive staff, and rebuild from scratch with a new system in an effort to adapt. If that were to happen, it'll happen this week. Any later, and it becomes impossible to find qualified coaches that are still available. but yea, that's not gonna happen anyway. Lol.)
Your argument went out of the window after making this claim. QB is and will continue to be a problem until someone on this staff can recognize a pro-style QB and develop them into something that can utilize a Neyor type talent while being able to manage a running game. Watching the "long-ball" threat displayed by Peasley was painful to say the least...we can get receivers that can separate from coverage, but we have yet to find a QB that can actually put the ball in a catchable location. For those touting O-line talent/ experience...watch the tape of our QB running for their collective lives then tell me how awesome they are. Wyoming without a mobile QB, that can recognize coverages, that can throw further than 35 yrds, and can throw off the back foot will not be successful with this current offensive philosophy...not sure their is a QB that can we can recruit to pull that off these days without them bolting to the portal after a single successful season....

My 2c on the subject...
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

After watching the two playoff games and thinking about Saban’s transition at Bama…defense can’t win championships (conference or otherwise) any longer. Georgia was supposed to choke the life out of Ohio State. They couldn’t. Their offense won it for them. TCU had two pick 6 plays - which were huge - but their offense scored a ton of points to beat a Michigan defense that was supposed to pound TCU’s line into submission. No matter your league, you have to score a lot to win big games. We can’t. And we won’t until Bohl is done here.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:05 pm
Your argument went out of the window after making this claim. QB is and will continue to be a problem until someone on this staff can recognize a pro-style QB and develop them into something that can utilize a Neyor type talent while being able to manage a running game. Watching the "long-ball" threat displayed by Peasley was painful to say the least...we can get receivers that can separate from coverage, but we have yet to find a QB that can actually put the ball in a catchable location.

My 2c on the subject...
I must've somehow missed all the championships and 9+ win seasons we had with Josh Allen or Levi Williams then....

Both QBs were prototypical pro-style QBs that had great deep balls and high mobility, while having talented "Neyor-style" receivers at their disposal (that they connected with often), NFL talent throughout the team, and managing running games that were among the best in the MW.

Yet the best result we have is a Potato Bowl win from one and an Arizona Bowl win from the other.

(Sure, we had a championship appearance under Allen, but it was in a bizarre year that took a tiebreaker....and we proceeded to end the year on a three game losing streak that included both the championship and the bowl game.)

I'm not saying that a different scheme and QB coach would have made TVW a star (by god, that dude was hopeless). But I'm saying that everybody immediately pointing the finger at the QBs is showing a rather superficial understanding of the game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:24 am
PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:05 pm
Your argument went out of the window after making this claim. QB is and will continue to be a problem until someone on this staff can recognize a pro-style QB and develop them into something that can utilize a Neyor type talent while being able to manage a running game. Watching the "long-ball" threat displayed by Peasley was painful to say the least...we can get receivers that can separate from coverage, but we have yet to find a QB that can actually put the ball in a catchable location.

My 2c on the subject...
I must've somehow missed all the championships and 9+ win seasons we had with Josh Allen or Levi Williams then....

Both QBs were prototypical pro-style QBs that had great deep balls and high mobility, while having talented "Neyor-style" receivers at their disposal (that they connected with often), NFL talent throughout the team, and managing running games that were among the best in the MW.

Yet the best result we have is a Potato Bowl win from one and an Arizona Bowl win from the other.

(Sure, we had a championship appearance under Allen, but it was in a bizarre year that took a tiebreaker....and we proceeded to end the year on a three game losing streak that included both the championship and the bowl game.)

I'm not saying that a different scheme and QB coach would have made TVW a star (by god, that dude was hopeless). But I'm saying that everybody immediately pointing the finger at the QBs is showing a rather superficial understanding of the game.
If you're right, Levi will light it up next year. Wanna make a bet?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:28 pm What I would like to hear?

What we'll likely hear:

What we'll see:

The same [#]sh#t in year 10 as we saw in years 1-9 (with the exception of a few flukey moments in 2016 when the best QB of this generation put the team on his back).
I don’t see the offensive coaching staff as the problem. I’ve said for years, they are running the offensive scheme Bohl wants. Just as Vigen was blamed and everyone realized, wow, Vigen is gone and this offense looks exactly the same under the new OC.