Portal

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Players that leave before the last game (bowl game) - f-word 'em, seriously, f-word 'em.

Players that leave after the last game (bowl game) - whatever, you do you.

Coaching staff that doesn't recruit the portal for 1/2 of the open scholarships - you are f-word idiot dinosaur coaches that need replaced.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I don't give a crap about anyone that is not a Cowboy. Period.

And the portal is ruining college sports. This is semi-professional football now.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:24 am I don't give a crap about anyone that is not a Cowboy. Period.

And the portal is ruining college sports. This is semi-professional football now.
How do you feel about Cowboy fans following ex-Cowboys or watching Non-Wyoming college athletics?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:39 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:24 am I don't give a crap about anyone that is not a Cowboy. Period.

How do you feel about Cowboy fans following ex-Cowboys or watching Non-Wyoming college athletics?
For me? Who has that much time, to follow those that quit & walk from WYO? Further, I question anyone that actually has interest in doing so. Non-Wyoming college athletics, really depends. The first few rounds of the NCAA hoops tourney are a blast. Bowl season is also a blast. That is...until the portal and NIL ruins them both...which it seems to be heading in that direction - football faster than basketball.
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:10 am
307bball wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:39 am

For me? Who has that much time, to follow those that quit & walk from WYO? Further, I question anyone that actually has interest in doing so. Non-Wyoming college athletics, really depends. The first few rounds of the NCAA hoops tourney are a blast. Bowl season is also a blast. That is...until the portal and NIL ruins them both...which it seems to be heading in that direction - football faster than basketball.
Yeah...nobody I know has infinite time to follow all the sports news that is fit to print...but some of the stances taken around guys entering the portal are bordering on sour grapes associated with players that we all cheered for leaving the program. At this point...while passively consuming non-Wyoming related sports stories and contests, a viewer will inevitably run into a player that used to play for Wyoming or was a Wyoming native recruited out of state....do we avert our eyes at that point? Seems like that is harder than just watching the game and enjoying oneself. I'm a Wyoming fan first but I'm also just a degenerate sports fan...I love watching sports. I love going to Vegas for the MW tournament and going to the PAC and WCC games if the schedule allows...does that make me less of a Wyoming fan? I don't think so, but to hear some of the comments....it's a stain on your fan-dom to enjoy non-Wyoming related sports. I don't think the gatekeeping around being a "real" fan is unique to Wyoming but it's just the version of it I am familiar with.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:28 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:10 am

Yeah...nobody I know has infinite time to follow all the sports news that is fit to print...but some of the stances taken around guys entering the portal are bordering on sour grapes associated with players that we all cheered for leaving the program. At this point...while passively consuming non-Wyoming related sports stories and contests, a viewer will inevitably run into a player that used to play for Wyoming or was a Wyoming native recruited out of state....do we avert our eyes at that point? Seems like that is harder than just watching the game and enjoying oneself. I'm a Wyoming fan first but I'm also just a degenerate sports fan...I love watching sports. I love going to Vegas for the MW tournament and going to the PAC and WCC games if the schedule allows...does that make me less of a Wyoming fan? I don't think so, but to hear some of the comments....it's a stain on your fan-dom to enjoy non-Wyoming related sports. I don't think the gatekeeping around being a "real" fan is unique to Wyoming but it's just the version of it I am familiar with.
I get what you are saying, and agree with a lot of it. I have a ton of pride in all things Wyoming - always have. And with that comes defending it.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you quit Wyoming (outside of things that are not within your control), you lose my respect, period. Further, if you quit Wyoming before the season ends, like the 7 or so that left before our bowl game, you not only lose my respect similar to above, but I now wish you nothing but an athletic career that ends with a whimper and irrelevancy. In other words, f-word 'em, I care not to ever hear their name again, and will actively root hard against them if I do.
Last edited by McPeachy on Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:21 am
307bball wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:28 am

I get what you are saying, and agree with a lot of it. I have a ton of pride in all things Wyoming - always have. And with that comes defending it.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you quit Wyoming (outside of things that are not within your control), you lose my respect, period. Further, if you quit Wyoming before the season ends, like the 7 or so that left before our bowl game, you not only lose my respect similar to above, but I now wish you nothing but an athletic career that ends with a whimper and irrelevancy. In other words, [#]f##k 'em, I care not to ever hear their name again, and will actively root hard against you if I do.
Fair enough and well said. It is probably somewhere in between moving on from a job (low stigma and judgement) and moving on from a marriage (higher stigma and judgement). It's not so much that it happens....it is how it happens. People who leave a trail of destruction in their wake by burning bridges don't get much of a pass from me. Most of the guys that have left Wyoming, seem to have done so with at least an attempt to thank the fans and coaches. From the outside, I can't get very far on my high horse and make too many judgements. I agree that it seem cruddy to leave before the season is over..(entering portal before bowl games or opting out)....but I think that is partly due to a bad system of incentives.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

I wonder what all the WYO transfers will do, that don't get picked up prior to spring semester starting? Do they sit at home and whine? "friendly ladies" themselves out to any school that may listen to their plea for playing time? Go back home to mommy and dada?
Dear Karma,