Jordan Turnbull

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Anyone know if this is a scholarship player or preferred walk on? Either way, welcome to Wyoming
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

According to his own Twitter from November - preferred walk on.

Also apparent offers from D2s Black Hills State, Colorado Mesa and Colorado State Pueblo.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:33 pm According to his own Twitter from November - preferred walk on.

Also apparent offers from D2s Black Hills State, Colorado Mesa and Colorado State Pueblo.
If he had other scholarship offers from "lesser" schools...why do a preferred walk-on at Wyoming? Would he not see more playing time at those other places? Asking based on discussions that painted Talich's decision to play at ND as a bad decision. Isn't this a double standard?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:13 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:33 pm According to his own Twitter from November - preferred walk on.

If he had other scholarship offers from "lesser" schools...why do a preferred walk-on at Wyoming? Would he not see more playing time at those other places? Asking based on discussions that painted Talich's decision to play at ND as a bad decision. Isn't this a double standard?
lol it's not even known if he's a walk on or scholarship player.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Haha - spot on. Although D2 scholarships are usually half rides because of the scholly limitations and so they can spread them around.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:19 am

His own Twitter account stating the walk on offer is not credible?

There is also no indication I can find on the recruiting sites that a single FCS (let alone FBS) school offered him. It would be a little eye opening if we gave a scholarship to a players with only D2 offers. But we did sign Snow College’s 3rd string QB last year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:37 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:19 am

There is also no indication I can find on the recruiting sites that a single FCS (let alone FBS) school offered him. It would be a little eye opening if we gave a scholarship to a players with only D2 offers. But we did sign Snow College’s 3rd string QB last year.
I heard from someone that he is scholarship, so I asked on here seeking confirmation of that. I already saw what you did on Twitter, it wasn't news to me.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:03 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:37 am

I heard from someone that he is scholarship, so I asked on here seeking confirmation of that. I already saw what you did on Twitter, it wasn't news to me.
So... If he's on scholarship.... Good decision... If he's walk on or preferred walk on.... Bad decision.... Do I have that right?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:50 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:03 am
So... If he's on scholarship.... Good decision... If he's walk on or preferred walk on.... Bad decision.... Do I have that right?
Yeah, seems about right to me. Usually the best decision is to take the scholarship
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:34 pm
307bball wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:50 pm

Yeah, seems about right to me. Usually the best decision is to take the scholarship
So when your options are CSU-Pueblo scholly and Wyoming walk-on - never bet on yourself. Just be content to go play college football and receive a degree in Pueblo, Colorado. Love to hear Marcus Epps’ take on that.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Remember, a D2 scholarship offer could be as small as "we'll cover books but you pay the rest". Full rides at the D2 level are rare.

So if it's between a grand or two at D2 or walk- on at D1, screw it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:35 pm Remember, a D2 scholarship offer could be as small as "we'll cover books but you pay the rest". Full rides at the D2 level are rare.

Half rides are common in D2 for highly thought of players. An equivalent of 36 full scholarships can be awarded for football in D2. Community/collectives are also starting to fill the gap. I know Mines (national runner up this year) has been proactive in filling the gap.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:42 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:34 pm
So when your options are CSU-Pueblo scholly and Wyoming walk-on - never bet on yourself. Just be content to go play college football and receive a degree in Pueblo, Colorado. Love to hear Marcus Epps’ take on that.
I agree with you. If walking on to wyoming wasn't better than getting some D-2 scholarship, wyoming would never get a walk on. I'm sure most wyoming walk ons could go play on scholly SOMEWHERE. D-1 is important even if we're in a lower division.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:22 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:35 pm Remember, a D2 scholarship offer could be as small as "we'll cover books but you pay the rest". Full rides at the D2 level are rare.

Half rides are common in D2 for highly thought of players. An equivalent of 36 full scholarships can be awarded for football in D2. Community/collectives are also starting to fill the gap. I know Mines (national runner up this year) has been proactive in filling the gap.
Oh definitely, I was just saying how, at the D2 level, being offered a scholarship could mean full-ride, could mean a half scholarship or it could be as minimal as a few hundred dollars to cover books.

Also, while the D2 limit is 36, some conferences have tighter limits. For example, the RMAC (Co Mines conference) restricts schools to no more than 28 scholarships for football.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:27 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:22 am

Oh definitely, I was just saying how, at the D2 level, being offered a scholarship could mean full-ride, could mean a half scholarship or it could be as minimal as a few hundred dollars to cover books.

Also, while the D2 limit is 36, some conferences have tighter limits. For example, the RMAC (Co Mines conference) restricts schools to no more than 28 scholarships for football.
Mines has found a way to compensate pretty much most of the team despite the RMAC limit. The ‘academic’ and ‘merit’ scholarships are widely distributed. Now with the NIL collective, it’s a different world there too.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:15 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:27 am

Mines has found a way to compensate pretty much most of the team despite the RMAC limit. The ‘academic’ and ‘merit’ scholarships are widely distributed. Now with the NIL collective, it’s a different world there too.
I believe it, they've been solid for several years now. I imagine the biggest obstacle that Mines football faces isn't getting kids money, it's getting kids accepted to the school. Finding kids that are good at football but also have good enough grades to get in.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:09 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:15 pm
I believe it, they've been solid for several years now. I imagine the biggest obstacle that Mines football faces isn't getting kids money, it's getting kids accepted to the school. Finding kids that are good at football but also have good enough grades to get in.
It’s one thing to get in Mines…the harder part is staying. There is no such thing as an easy degree there. They only offer bachelors of science and every student will
have taken 3 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of chemistry, 2 semesters of computer programming and 2 semesters of differential
equations prior to their junior year.