NIL

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Here's mine (needs tweeked):

State makes regulation which issues a y dollar amount fee added onto everything that uses the UW logo license. The dollar amount goes directly to a NIL nonprofit. People who purchase items can send in for a rebate for the amount if they don't want to contribute thereby removing the "mandated status" and keeping it in the "voluntary contribution status"
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:22 pm Here's mine (needs tweeked):

State issues a y dollar amount tagged onto everything that uses the UW logo license. The dollar amount goes directly to a NIL nonprofit. People who purchase items can send in for a rebate for the amount if they don't want to contribute thereby removing the "mandated status" and keeping it in the "voluntary contribution status"
I'd say HELL NO. Somebody simply wanting to support the University now basically is forced to pay a bunch of 18 year old athletes? (the rebate thing is silly because few would take the time to get back a few bucks) . For instance, maybe someone is proud of the University for its engineering department and wants to show their support...now they have to pay a bunch of athletes who they could care less about (and maybe don't even believe athletics belong at a university).

Maybe at checkout at the University store or the B&G there is an option for people that want to donate to NIL by rounding up or making a contribution (similar to grocery stores for Boys and Girls Club for things). That could be palatable.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:28 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:22 pm Here's mine (needs tweeked):

State issues a y dollar amount tagged onto everything that uses the UW logo license. The dollar amount goes directly to a NIL nonprofit. People who purchase items can send in for a rebate for the amount if they don't want to contribute thereby removing the "mandated status" and keeping it in the "voluntary contribution status"
I'd say HELL NO. Somebody simply wanting to support the University now basically is forced to pay a bunch of 18 year old athletes? (the rebate thing is silly because few would take the time to get back a few bucks) . For instance, maybe someone is proud of the University for its engineering department and wants to show their support...now they have to pay a bunch of athletes who they could care less about (and maybe don't even believe athletics belong at a university).

Maybe at checkout at the University store or the B&G there is an option for people that want to donate to NIL by rounding up or making a contribution (similar to grocery stores for Boys and Girls Club for things). That could be palatable.
At some point, a decision will be made. Create and fund NIL to be competitive, field teams with no chance, or drop sports. Those are the options. We're already forced to fund a bunch of administrative positions whose only function is to support athletics.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

This whole subject is getting out of hand. I thought it was supposed to be about what NIL stands for: Name, Image, Likeness. Before NIL was allowed people on here used to say it wasn't fair for the Brown & Gold to sell a Football jersey with number 17 on it and "Allen" on the back without the player getting a cut. Now apparently were just supposed to generate funds anyway possible to pay players! I believe it should be limited to the original Name, Image, Likeness intention. Shirt with the athlete's name on it, he/she gets a cut. Athlete makes a radio commercial for Gem City Bone & Joint, athlete gets paid. Athlete gets a lifesize cardboard cutout for the Ford Dealer showroom, athlete gets paid. But this whole generate random funds to pay athletes business is not what I ever envisioned.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

ZapPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:08 pm This whole subject is getting out of hand. I thought it was supposed to be about what NIL stands for: Name, Image, Likeness. Before NIL was allowed people on here used to say it wasn't fair for the Brown & Gold to sell a Football jersey with number 17 on it and "Allen" on the back without the player getting a cut. Now apparently were just supposed to generate funds anyway possible to pay players! I believe it should be limited to the original Name, Image, Likeness intention. Shirt with the athlete's name on it, he/she gets a cut. Athlete makes a radio commercial for Gem City Bone & Joint, athlete gets paid. Athlete gets a lifesize cardboard cutout for the Ford Dealer showroom, athlete gets paid. But this whole generate random funds to pay athletes business is not what I ever envisioned.
I don't disagree but unfortunately you can't choose the game. You can only choose to play it or not.

Other MWC programs are or will choose to play. Does UW?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ZapPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:08 pm This whole subject is getting out of hand. I thought it was supposed to be about what NIL stands for: Name, Image, Likeness. Before NIL was allowed people on here used to say it wasn't fair for the Brown & Gold to sell a Football jersey with number 17 on it and "Allen" on the back without the player getting a cut. Now apparently were just supposed to generate funds anyway possible to pay players! I believe it should be limited to the original Name, Image, Likeness intention. Shirt with the athlete's name on it, he/she gets a cut. Athlete makes a radio commercial for Gem City Bone & Joint, athlete gets paid. Athlete gets a lifesize cardboard cutout for the Ford Dealer showroom, athlete gets paid. But this whole generate random funds to pay athletes business is not what I ever envisioned.
Well said.