Sheep are PAC12 Targets

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:53 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 pm
ha. OK
BTW - it is not just Wyoming that is potentially facing incoming class decline potentials over the next few years. There are less students to go around overall.
OK.. Don't know why you can't just say your source. I scoured the internet for such info and I can't find any pertaining to Wyoming in particular. I know that many private, liberal arts colleges are in trouble enrollment-wise - you are correct.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Independence is most likely in our future which is not the death sentence many would have you believe. You mean to tell me we could not find 11 or 12 games each year to schedule? The paltry tv money we get by being in the mwc would seem to be a push to me. I think going independent would open up a world of new exciting and energizing possibilities for us.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:53 pm Independence is most likely in our future which is not the death sentence many would have you believe. You mean to tell me we could not find 11 or 12 games each year to schedule? The paltry tv money we get by being in the mwc would seem to be a push to me. I think going independent would open up a world of new exciting and energizing possibilities for us.
Independence is not in our future and would likely be the death knell for Wyoming sports. Very few teams are travelling to Laramie. A conference provides guaranteed home and away schedules against regional teams.

Ask Idaho and New Mexico State how independence turned out for them? I will help out - - Idaho made it 2 years before crying wolf and dropping to the Big Sky. NMSU had to cancel the 2020 season because they didn't have a conference and was forced to schedule 2 games a year in football against teams like Liberty just to complete a schedule.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:09 am Everything hinges on timing and the playoff negotiations (in 2 years, I think).

Until the new playoff format is agreed to and extended, nobody knows what will happen. If the playoff moves to the P2, then A LOT changes. If pacwhatever, maintains an autobid while g5 loses autobid, the pac will poach. If pacwhatever loses p5 or whatever status, then they will fold or seek to be best if whatever remains.

The next step will completely remake college football. Arguing over who gets relegated to the dregs with us is a fool's errand. We know we'll be with the dregs. After that, does it really matter?
I think it does matter who is the left behinds. The CSU and Air Force rivalries matter to a lot of Wyoming fans. The interest in football and basketball would likely wane if we were to lose those conference rivals. Best case scenario for Wyoming is that the PAC mostly holds and SDSU is the only departure.
Over the past 5 home games, I wonder what percent increase attendance has been for those games compared to the season's average (average without those games)?

I could definitely be wrong, but I doubt it matters much.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 am

I think it does matter who is the left behinds. The CSU and Air Force rivalries matter to a lot of Wyoming fans. The interest in football and basketball would likely wane if we were to lose those conference rivals. Best case scenario for Wyoming is that the PAC mostly holds and SDSU is the only departure.
Over the past 5 home games, I wonder what percent increase attendance has been for those games compared to the season's average (average without those games)?

I went to just about every men's basketball game this year. The CSU home game was at least double the attendance of most other games. The student section was mostly empty...except the CSU game.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:04 am Are they really targets though? No. Just an op-ed poop dart thrown at a poop dart board.
Exactly. Such a stupid thread here
Why the bile?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:11 pm

I went to just about every men's basketball game this year. The CSU home game was at least double the attendance of most other games. The student section was mostly empty...except the CSU game.
What do expect from a last place team???
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:11 pm

Maybe, I guess. Does a few thousand tickets or free student tickets once a year for bball and every other year really matter that much? I'm betting when the dust settles it won't matter. No way to know for sure and out of our control anyway.

Any expansion info surrounding WYO, likely won't be positive.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

The population growth in Fort Collins/loveland has to be the main reason any conference would show any interest in csewe. There are about 400k people in Larimer county now. That is basically Fort Collins, Loveland and Estes Park. And 99 percent of them could care less about csewe athletics.

If csewe were to make it to the Pac 12, what would the attendance be when they travel with that awful football team of theirs? Empty stadiums and horrible tv ratings would be the result. This entire conference musical chairs experiment is going to go horribly wrong. College sports have mostly thrived because of regional rivalries. It's a rare powerhouse school that can bring the fans no matter where they travel. Unless csewe finds another Sonny Lubick, their fickle fans will not show up when Oregon St or Washington st. comes to town. The only decent crowd they had this year is when we showed up. But I guess the hope for big tv money is going to drive this forward no matter what.

Does anyone think we end up in the Big Sky and the MW dissolves? Hate to see it end like this but it appears that any school that can wants out of the MW is jumping ship.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:02 pm

Does anyone think we end up in the Big Sky and the MW dissolves? Hate to see it end like this but it appears that any school that can wants out of the MW is jumping ship.
This is why we want the PAC to stabilize. If the PAC invites enough MWC teams they could get enough votes to dissolve the MWC and eliminate the buyouts. All teams left behind will do whatever they can to keep the conference from dissolving because they will at least want the benefit of the buyout.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

I doubt they are. They have a new stadium. Nobody shows up. They loose alot. That sums up the sheep. TV markets - well, even if it was determined that helps sell advertising, I'd give them 5 years before they are kicked out.

Alabama for example, if they had an empty stadium and were going for the national championship - there would be alot of people watching. TV rights don't care about attendance. They care about viewership.

I don't think anyone watches CSU football outside of Wyoming Cowboy fans (just to see what they are up to).
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

The only reason for the PAC to want CSU, is if Colorado leaves the PAC. In that case, they MAY want CSU to get the Denver TV market back into their TV contract negotiations. That's it.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:02 pm Does anyone think we end up in the Big Sky and the MW dissolves? Hate to see it end like this but it appears that any school that can wants out of the MW is jumping ship.
It's not likely that we would drop a division. But we could end up in a pretty bad Division 1 conference.

Anyone thinking that football independence would be OK should look at how badly BYU wanted back into a conference, and they are a relatively successful independent with some TV leverage. We would be New Mexico State.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:49 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:48 pm
Source?
Trustworthy.
One would think, with our completely incompetent leadership in the white house, that enrollment would soar. At every institution of higher education. Free education, no loans, money from the fed when you can't pay your rent - sounds good.

:shock:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:48 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:42 pm

Nope, projected incoming class is well behind where it was last year. Things could change but expectations are for a decrease.
Source?
No longer a secret. 15% decline year over year in the freshman class.

https://trib.com/news/state-regional/ed ... -top-story
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:06 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:53 pm

BTW - it is not just Wyoming that is potentially facing incoming class decline potentials over the next few years. There are less students to go around overall.
OK.. Don't know why you can't just say your source. I scoured the internet for such info and I can't find any pertaining to Wyoming in particular. I know that many private, liberal arts colleges are in trouble enrollment-wise - you are correct.
You can find it now:

https://trib.com/news/state-regional/ed ... -top-story
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Would the outrageous cost of going to college nowadays have anything to do with enrollment decline?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:30 pm Would the outrageous cost of going to college nowadays have anything to do with enrollment decline?
Partially, I believe. What was conveyed to me is a mix of factors: (1) Americans are largely having less children than previous generations; (2) Americans are having children later than previous generations; and (3) college aged persons are evaluating other employment/non-traditional education options.

Note: the military is also seeing a huge shortfall and there is a real concern that we won't be able to adequately staff our military with eligible volunteer US citizens.
https://theweek.com/us-military/1024742 ... ing-crisis
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:30 pm Would the outrageous cost of going to college nowadays have anything to do with enrollment decline?
The numbers don’t work out for a lot of degrees and I think a lot are finally coming to that conclusion. Doesn’t help that UW forces first years to live in the dorms and that is , imo, prohibitively expensive. Wyomingites, and those that wish to attend a school like UW aren’t into prohibitively expensive. But I’ve heard that UW doesn’t even make money on most students, hell if I know what the answer is.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:14 pm
Note: the military is also seeing a huge shortfall and there is a real concern that we won't be able to adequately staff our military with eligible volunteer US citizens.
https://theweek.com/us-military/1024742 ... ing-crisis
we might have to stop our imperialistic bullying around the globe? oh no!
W-Y, Until I Die!