Xavier Dusell To the Portal

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:27 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:14 pm

Needs to happen yesterday. Considering we need to fill an entire roster it would probably help to reassure that our program isn't completely melting down.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm
Pokes4L wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:42 pm

His personal Instagram. Haven’t seen it anywhere else yet.
I'm looking as his IG right now. Nothing on there.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the post. Yeesh.

I always hated the “respect my decision” addition to a lot their announcements. f-word off. They’d be better just to say, “thank you!”
W-Y, Until I Die!
NDPoke
Buckaroo

It’s defiantly going to be interesting what we do in the with all these scholarships. Linder could get very creative here. There is the D2 player of the year up at BHSU in spearfish. Or there are some juco guys around here that could defiantly play at this level.
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

NDPoke wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:32 pm It’s defiantly going to be interesting what we do in the with all these scholarships. Linder could get very creative here. There is the D2 player of the year up at BHSU in spearfish. Or there are some juco guys around here that could defiantly play at this level.
We had some guys playing defiantly. They got shipped back to Cali :lol:
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Screw all those that left. losers and quitters.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

wyosports wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:19 pm College sports are all about relationships, and that does not seem to be one of coach's strong points. When you leave people in the airport after losses to find their own way home, and communicate with players the way he does, then this will be the result. There seems to be a pattern of kids leaving his program even back to his UNC days.
I’d be interested to hear more about this. I heard a lot of claims when the Cali 3 left. This is the first I’ve heard anything like this.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

I trust Linder and his process. It is telling that the best player on the team stuck with him. It is fun to win and true character show up when things aren't so rosy. Having Powell stick around is also a good sign.

Next year will be telling as to the type of coach Linder truly is. Can he find the dudes that buy into what he is selling after his supporting cast went to find grass to mow (they ain't going to the NBA for sure...)? I have held back on opining on the coaching situation, because I respect a guy that ask his guys to go above and beyond. Then make them accountable rather than a guy that is happy with mediocre or less...which is what we have endured for too many years.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:49 pm
wyosports wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:19 pm College sports are all about relationships, and that does not seem to be one of coach's strong points. When you leave people in the airport after losses to find their own way home, and communicate with players the way he does, then this will be the result. There seems to be a pattern of kids leaving his program even back to his UNC days.
I’d be interested to hear more about this. I heard a lot of claims when the Cali 3 left. This is the first I’ve heard anything like this.
Don't hold your breath waiting for him to be more specific or otherwise back up his claims.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:10 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm

I'm looking as his IG right now. Nothing on there.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the post. Yeesh.

I always hated the “respect my decision” addition to a lot their announcements. f-word off. They’d be better just to say, “thank you!”
Like minds. I was going to post the same exact thing. These toolbags that transfer with the hashtag "respect my decision" need to have their teeth knocked out, and taught that respect is earned not given. That, and I don't have to respect you regardless - f-word quitter.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

These guys really are p***** that run from problems rather than face them. Weak minded losers. If they are indicative of their generation our country is royally screwed
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:33 am These guys really are p***** that run from problems rather than face then. Weak minded losers. If they are indicative of their generation our country is royally screwed
Oden and X are different though right? I mean what the Cali transfers did was IMO pretty "weak minded" to borrow your term. Reynolds and Barnhardt...meh...but X and Oden had shown mental toughness over time...I can't just chalk those two up a desire to "run from problems". I would say the same thing about Valladay in football...I mean is there ever a case where a transfer is not met with derision and character assassination?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:25 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:33 am These guys really are p***** that run from problems rather than face then. Weak minded losers. If they are indicative of their generation our country is royally screwed
Oden and X are different though right? I mean what the Cali transfers did was IMO pretty "weak minded" to borrow your term. Reynolds and Barnhardt...meh...but X and Oden had shown mental toughness over time...I can't just chalk those two up a desire to "run from problems". I would say the same thing about Valladay in football...I mean is there ever a case where a transfer is not met with derision and character assassination?
Is there ever a case? Sure.

Side question - how is a fan supposed to keep / stay loyal & engaged when the pieces change every year? Free agency IS killing the game, and we all know it and see it.

Somebody should have trademarked the "respect my decision" hashtag, they would be wealthy off of 19 & 20 year old kids that think they know everything. Imagine interviewing some of these guys for a position in your department / company / business. "So, tell me, why did you quit XXXX, and transfer to Wyoming?" "And then, why did you quit Wyoming and transfer to XXXX". I am not sure I would call it burning bridges, but it is pretty effing close.

:twocents:
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:38 am

Side question - how is a fan supposed to keep / stay loyal & engaged when the pieces change every year? Free agency IS killing the game, and we all know it and see it.

Somebody should have trademarked the "respect my decision" hashtag, they would be wealthy off of 19 & 20 year old kids that think they know everything. Imagine interviewing some of these guys for a position in your department / company / business. "So, tell me, why did you quit XXXX, and transfer to Wyoming?" "And then, why did you quit Wyoming and transfer to XXXX". I am not sure I would call it burning bridges, but it is pretty effing close.

That truly is a side question worth a million $$ and it's own thread.

But back to the question about decisions to transfer being met by character assassination from fans...Do we not get what we deserve a bit with this "respect my decision" stuff? If every guy that transfers away from a program gets lit up by fans on social media...I think the players would be right to defend themselves a bit...even peremptorily. The blanket "eff them" mentality towards guys leaving our favorite program is the reason these announcements take a bit of a defensive tone.

It just starts to look like, for transfers that pick your favorite school...these are overlooked gems that did not get a fair shake and when they transfer away....They are snowflakes that are not mentally tough.... at best.

I'm not comfortable labelling guys like Oden, Dusell and Valladay as not mentally tough. I loved those guys. They laid it on the line for the pokes.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

When the player isn't getting playing time while giving full effort - like Barnhardt .. seemingly.

Oden, Dusell and Reynolds stood to play TONS of minutes and be focal points of the team. They helped create this poop season by sucking and now they are just bailing on the university, administration, athletics department, training staff, coaching staff and fans that supported them.So much was invested into them and they are spitting in the faces of those that supported them. No desire to stick anything out or see anything through at the first sign of adversity. Forget these guys.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

I get the frustration and anger. I hate the "respect my decision" garbage. It is nauseating.

I think the bigger question is: why? I get why the Cali-three are no longer in Laramie. They were weak and cancerous to the program. But what about all the others? Why? Sure, there is NIL, there is a free transfer opportunity, etc. But if you are loving life, enjoying your teammates and playing for a guy you like and respect, all that becomes secondary, doesn't it? To me, we can be angry about the transfers and lament a lack of loyalty - I've done it this week. But if we truly want to mitigate future losses, don't we also have to ask questions about why they are leaving? Maybe each circumstance is unique. Maybe Wicks enticed them. Maybe it's the porthole, the NIL cash, a girlfriend, wanting to be closer to mom and dad, Laramie being too cold and windy, the traffic light at 3rd and Grand is too difficult to navigate...whatever. My money is on Linder being the reincarnation of Napoleon and the kids having a belly full and telling Jeff to pound sand. Again, we can call out the kids...or we can learn what the hell is really going on and fix it. I hope Tom B. is on the phone with every one of these kids to exit interview them and learn. I bet his is.

The other question is: do we care? This is the same bunch of players that brought us a craptastic season. Maybe Linder wanted them gone. Maybe we will be glad next year. Who signs will go a long way to answering that question.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 am I get the frustration and anger. I hate the "respect my decision" garbage. It is nauseating.

I think the bigger question is: why? I get why the Cali-three are no longer in Laramie. They were weak and cancerous to the program. But what about all the others? Why? Sure, there is NIL, there is a free transfer opportunity, etc. But if you are loving life, enjoying your teammates and playing for a guy you like and respect, all that becomes secondary, doesn't it? To me, we can be angry about the transfers and lament a lack of loyalty - I've done it this week. But if we truly want to mitigate future losses, don't we also have to ask questions about why they are leaving? Maybe each circumstance is unique. Maybe Wicks enticed them. Maybe it's the porthole, the NIL cash, a girlfriend, wanting to be closer to mom and dad, Laramie being too cold and windy, the traffic light at 3rd and Grand is too difficult to navigate...whatever. My money is on Linder being the reincarnation of Napoleon and the kids having a belly full and telling Jeff to pound sand. Again, we can call out the kids...or we can learn what the hell is really going on and fix it. I hope Tom B. is on the phone with every one of these kids to exit interview them and learn. I bet his is.

The other question is: do we care? This is the same bunch of players that brought us a craptastic season. Maybe Linder wanted them gone. Maybe we will be glad next year. Who signs will go a long way to answering that question.
I had never thought of that but not that you mention it...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:55 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:38 am

But back to the question about decisions to transfer being met by character assassination from fans...Do we not get what we deserve a bit with this "respect my decision" stuff? If every guy that transfers away from a program gets lit up by fans on social media...I think the players would be right to defend themselves a bit...even peremptorily. The blanket "eff them" mentality towards guys leaving our favorite program is the reason these announcements take a bit of a defensive tone.

It just starts to look like, for transfers that pick your favorite school...these are overlooked gems that did not get a fair shake and when they transfer away....They are snowflakes that are not mentally tough.... at best.

I'm not comfortable labelling guys like Oden, Dusell and Valladay as not mentally tough. I loved those guys. They laid it on the line for the pokes.
You are correct, IMO. I am not really "comfortable" labeling either, but I am vastly disappointed (understatement) that "said-player" poop all over my favorite place on earth on their way to what they think is something better. Wyoming Football and Basketball are my hobby, they are my thing, and obviously Wyoming is my home and where my passion and loyalty are. When anyone (not just front-porch Wyoming athletes that are highly visible) poop on it, I take offense, and at times (LOL) fly off the handle. I am getting better at forgetting all those that quit, which probably has saved me. There was a reason a certain football coach retired just recently...and I believe it has everything to do with greedy NIL parents / athletes and the transfer portal.
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:58 am

When the player isn't getting playing time while giving full effort - like Barnhardt .. seemingly.

Oden, Dusell and Reynolds stood to play TONS of minutes and be focal points of the team. They helped create this poop season by sucking and now they are just bailing on the university, administration, athletics department, training staff, coaching staff and fans that supported them.So much was invested into them and they are spitting in the faces of those that supported them. No desire to stick anything out or see anything through at the first sign of adversity. Forget these guys.
Part of what you say makes sense. The part about them contributing to a terrible season does assuage this somewhat...like..will we really miss them?

The part about them "owing" the university something ... I can't really get behind though. This has actually been litigated and the athletes have gotten the shaft historically in college athletics. Universities, athletic departments, and administrations have inappropriately benefitted from "amateur" athletes forever. That is beginning to change with NIL rules changing (which is bad for Wyoming in particular). For every guy or gal that makes a living as an athlete eventually, there are hundreds more who are physically broken down with not much to show for their effort. I'm not really losing sleep on their behalf but let's not paint the universities as some "wronged" party here.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:33 am
307bball wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:55 am

You are correct, IMO. I am not really "comfortable" labeling either, but I am vastly disappointed (understatement) that "said-player" poop all over my favorite place on earth on their way to what they think is something better. Wyoming Football and Basketball are my hobby, they are my thing, and obviously Wyoming is my home and where my passion and loyalty are. When anyone (not just front-porch Wyoming athletes that are highly visible) poop on it, I take offense, and at times (LOL) fly off the handle. I am getting better at forgetting all those that quit, which probably has saved me. There was a reason a certain football coach retired just recently...and I believe it has everything to do with greedy NIL parents / athletes and the transfer portal.
That is fair...I admit that I'm not as plugged in as some to what is being said out there. If the non-Cali guys are trashing Wyoming, I'm not aware of it and I hope that it's not happening. Your description of Wyoming mirrors my own feelings on the state. It's where I grew up and went to college and until very recently...lived. It's kind of like that thing where I feel like I can point out it's flaws but I hate it when other people do it.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:49 pm

Don't hold your breath waiting for him to be more specific or otherwise back up his claims.
Coach got mad after a road loss and had words with one of the asst. coaches and ended up leaving him in the airport, to find his own way home. I think there will be at least one more coaching change to the staff.