UW and conference realignment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

evilpoke wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:32 pm Wyoming's path in all this is completely in the dark and we have very little control over anything that happens.

I could see any of these as a possibility:
- Pac-12 (basically, the remaining 4-6 Pac-12 teams expand and we make the cut - and it will be close.)
- Strengthened MWC with Pac-12 teams
- Joining the AAC with CSU and Air Force (or maybe just Air Force)
- Part of an AAC/MWC merger
- Weakened MWC with teams leaving for the Pac-12 (or elsewhere) and MWC fills in with NMSU, UTEP, etc.
- C-USA (the MWC would have disintigrated at this point and we didn't make the cut for the better option. This is the worst-case scenario.)

I'm hoping for one of the four top options, but anything is possible at this point.

San Diego State, Boise, CSU, Air Force, Fresno State and UNLV will be OK to awesome. They have some clout in this.

Hawaii, Nevada, Utah State, New Mexico, San Jose State and Wyoming? errrrr..... who the hell knows.

If things are really this dark for the future of the program then how is going the independent route really that bad?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 pm
evilpoke wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:32 pm Wyoming's path in all this is completely in the dark and we have very little control over anything that happens.

I could see any of these as a possibility:
- Pac-12 (basically, the remaining 4-6 Pac-12 teams expand and we make the cut - and it will be close.)
- Strengthened MWC with Pac-12 teams
- Joining the AAC with CSU and Air Force (or maybe just Air Force)
- Part of an AAC/MWC merger
- Weakened MWC with teams leaving for the Pac-12 (or elsewhere) and MWC fills in with NMSU, UTEP, etc.
- C-USA (the MWC would have disintigrated at this point and we didn't make the cut for the better option. This is the worst-case scenario.)

I'm hoping for one of the four top options, but anything is possible at this point.

San Diego State, Boise, CSU, Air Force, Fresno State and UNLV will be OK to awesome. They have some clout in this.

Hawaii, Nevada, Utah State, New Mexico, San Jose State and Wyoming? errrrr..... who the hell knows.

If things are really this dark for the future of the program then how is going the independent route really that bad?
To answer your question, it isn't really that bad of an option. As long as everything not named football has a conference home somewhere.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Former espn president, "acc and pac12 should merge".

Interesting.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:23 pm Before we get to the point where there is no more music and no more chairs to sit in how about Burman gets up off his ass and does something bold like making application in getting the Pokes into the B12?
In my humble opinion. No. It is the rich trying to get richer. I think Burman has done a good job overall. These rich f-word looking for more money and destroying the system by putting carrots over the programs heads - that is the problem.

We need to bring college sports back to what it was. The NFL has done a decent job of preventing what we are seeing.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

D1 will mean absolutely nothing for lesser have teams fairly soon, unfortunately, cuz I'd like to see Wyoming matter, someday!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

If things go south and we are stuck in a dilapidated MWC, Burman should push for out of the box.

WYO
AF
CSU
UNM
MT
MSU
University of Calgary
University of Saskatchewan
University of Alberta

OK, not sure of the exact teams but 1st to bring Canada onboard?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 pm If things go south and we are stuck in a dilapidated MWC, Burman should push for out of the box.

WYO
AF
CSU
UNM
MT
MSU
University of Calgary
University of Alberta

Interesting thought, but I would think having the Dakota schools would be more competitive. Add NDSU, SDSU and UND and/or USD instead of the Canada schools.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:02 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 pm If things go south and we are stuck in a dilapidated MWC, Burman should push for out of the box.

WYO
AF
CSU
UNM
MT
MSU
University of Calgary
University of Alberta

Interesting thought, but I would think having the Dakota schools would be more competitive. Add NDSU, SDSU and UND and/or USD instead of the Canada schools.
You could be 100% right. I honestly have no idea regarding the quality of teams up there. However, Canadian NCAA teams? Do you capture just the city market or the entire country market because they have access (at least for a few years) to the NCAA playoff?
Alberta population is 4.3 or so million
Calgary is 1.5 or so million

Northern Snow Belt Football? Dakotas are not outside of the box thinking. Maybe include them, but outside the box is grabbing Canada.

WYO, MT, MSU. ND, NDSU, Canadian schools?

WYO won't win with "in the box thinking".
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 pm OK, not sure of the exact teams but 1st to bring Canada onboard?
Doesn't Canadian football have different rules - like 3 downs instead of 4? In any case make sure the stadiums are enclosed. It gets colder that you-know-where in Edmonton.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:42 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 pm OK, not sure of the exact teams but 1st to bring Canada onboard?
Doesn't Canadian football have different rules - like 3 downs instead of 4? In any case make sure the stadiums are enclosed. It gets colder that you-know-where in Edmonton.
They wouldn't bitch about playing in Laramie :rofl:
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:42 pm
"I mean, you guys and your 10 frames. 10 frames? That's for Quakers"
W-Y, Until I Die!