Wyoming Basketball - Huge Transfer Portal Hit Today

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Nathaniel Talich, grandson of Maury Brown, entered the portal. Maury has been the biggest donor to men’s basketball for quite some time. I’d say the pool of NIL money might be drying up. Not good.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 pm Nathaniel Talich, grandson of Maury Brown, entered the portal. Maury has been the biggest donor to men’s basketball for quite some time. I’d say the pool of NIL money might be drying up. Not good.
Meh....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

PokeTransplant wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:11 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 pm Nathaniel Talich, grandson of Maury Brown, entered the portal. Maury has been the biggest donor to men’s basketball for quite some time. I’d say the pool of NIL money might be drying up. Not good.
Meh....
I believe it is a really big deal. If Maury is personally invested in the program with a family member, that can only be beneficial. Talich didn't provide a reason for leaving and presumably he wants playing time; but if he had issues with the program or staff, that is sure to trickle down and influence donations to the program.

It has become increasingly clear that maintaining any basketball program would require quite the monetary investment in players. But honestly, I believe paying players a bunch of money is a waste anyways. So maybe we are better off just moving away from a monetary system all together and understanding that certainly will limit our options.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

A walk on transferring is usually not a big deal
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:18 am A walk on transferring is usually not a big deal
Agreed as to the typical walk-on. When the walk-on's grandfather has the basketball court named after him, it is a different circumstance.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:06 am

Meh....
I believe it is a really big deal. If Maury is personally invested in the program with a family member, that can only be beneficial. Talich didn't provide a reason for leaving and presumably he wants playing time; but if he had issues with the program or staff, that is sure to trickle down and influence donations to the program.

It has become increasingly clear that maintaining any basketball program would require quite the monetary investment in players. But honestly, I believe paying players a bunch of money is a waste anyways. So maybe we are better off just moving away from a monetary system all together and understanding that certainly will limit our options.
Big if. The simplest explanation is that Talich is looking for playing time as you say. Surely Maury wasn't conditioning his support of the program on a walk-on player getting starter minutes. If so that is totally untenable anyway.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:06 am

Meh....

You're reading WAY too much into this. I'm more surprised that Talich put his name in the portal than anything. I've heard he's lost interest in basketball and would rather be hunting.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:32 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:18 am A walk on transferring is usually not a big deal
Agreed as to the typical walk-on. When the walk-on's grandfather has the basketball court named after him, it is a different circumstance.
Maybe he just actually wants to play?
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

If you are a walk-on, why do you even need to put your name in the portal? You can just go to another school, you aren't contractually tied to the current school at all without a scholarship
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

I didn't see Maury around the AA much this season...in fact, don't remember seeing him at any Jan / Feb games. Of course, that could be for other reasons.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:13 am

I didn't see Maury around the AA much this season...in fact, don't remember seeing him at any Jan / Feb games. Of course, that could be for other reasons.
Maury was looking pretty rough the last few times I saw him. Still sharp, but definitely declining physically.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:13 am

I noticed the same thing. Hope he is doing well.