Trib Took the Gloves Off

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Looks like the Casper Tribune took the gloves off with the basketball program and the athletic department in general. Posting a link would be useless as its behind a pay wall, but the Editorial Staff wrote a pretty direct op-ed asking for answers...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

It's not that useless if you're a subscriber. lol
https://trib.com/opinion/editorial/edit ... 48a59.html
ImageImageImageImage
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

MrTitleist wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:48 pm It's not that useless if you're a subscriber. lol
Or delete your cookies. Nothing that we haven't ask here in the article.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

jwy_poke wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:53 pm
MrTitleist wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:48 pm It's not that useless if you're a subscriber. lol
No, but until recently, Thorburn and the Trib have been pretty kid glove diplomatic in their coverage. Now the more adversarial outlook seems to come from Thorburn's bosses as well...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:54 pm
jwy_poke wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:53 pm

No, but until recently, Thorburn and the Trib have been pretty kid glove diplomatic in their coverage. Now the more adversarial outlook seems to come from Thorburn's bosses as well...
I agree it’s a well written article. I actually believe they were still being a bit too kind and could have dived into the facts a bit more and point out some of the players who have entered the portal. The head scratchers are when guys like DuSell, Barnhart and Talich leave. None of those guys are set to get much in the way of NIL deals elsewhere (if any) and all would have presumably stood to gain a lot in terms of playing time with the other departures. The hard questions on why guys like that would leave need to be asked. The only logical explanations without further I need information are that they either had concerns with the direction of the team, coaching or didn’t like Laramie.

We can somewhat explain the rest:
1) California 3 - quitters and not the attitude anyone wants on their team.
2) Ike - crazy to turn down a half million or more to play somewhere else. I’d advise him to do the same probably because that is life changing money and he is one injury away from being the next Greg Oden.
3) Jeremiah Oden - Chicago guy with dreams to play for the hometown team and no one can dispute that DePaul is a well regarded school. It makes sense.
4) Reynolds - Might stand to make real NIL money somewhere else but certainly he would have been the focus of this offense had he stayed and probably would have made some money to stay too. I’m curious if he follows Wicks to Wisconsin-Green Bay. This one is more difficult to understand absent some issues with Laramie or the coaching staff.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

This story is amazing, the paper is asking questions that their own employee knows the answers to. (Thorburn) I understand him not wanting to cross UW by printing stories that paint UW in a bad light and end up losing his sources and access to UW sports, but his own employer can't get him to answer their questions. He has all the information on the coaching problems going on between the staff, as well as the reasons for most of the players leaving. I would think that is what the paper pays him to report on, but I guess not.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Notice that the author is the "editorial board". Smart move. If any reporter would have put their name on that their credentials would have been yanked at UW.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

I expect that nothing more will be said. Sure, Linder will have some punchy responses about loyalty, the "new realities of working in the transfer portal era" and finding guys that fit, but nothing more specific. UW will quickly pivot to whatever new signees they bring in - every single one will be lauded as either the next coming of Jeffries or Maldo or assigned the moniker of a "key role player". We will hear how Linder only recruits guys that can shoot the lights out from beyond the arch - even though we all know that, to date, he has failed miserably in that effort. Get ready for Rope a Dope, followed by football and discussions of the new signees, and a close out with Linder talking about the need for the fan base to get in line and support the team because they are bought in and are working hard. Napoleon has a huge ego and an unwillingness to self-reflect. He hasn't yet. That is the problem. Sure, the CA-3 were a disaster. But who brought them in? And every team in the nation has to deal with the porthole. Every team. Get with it, Jeff. You're paid a lot of money to figure it out.

Of the names and recruits I have seen so far, color me unimpressed. When we are falling all over ourselves over an NAIA recruit, we are in trouble. He might be very good, but in any other year, any NAIA kid would be seen as filler. This year, he just might be our best option.