Ike gone

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:17 pm Providence you say….

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news ... ril-visit/
I didn't realize he'd already visited Kansas. I guess I vastly underestimated his value on the open market.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

I know the area very well and the PC program pretty well. To me, this would be a totally bizarre fit.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

FWIW, CBS Sports ranks Ike as the 22nd best transfer portal prospect (yes that's a thing now). I think he is probably better than that.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -virginia/

Providence makes sense because he reunites with an AAU teammate and they probably came up with a bunch of money. There was an article stating that Ike already committed to Providence but that article has since been taken down.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

If the visit is not until April 14-16th, that means he will be visiting others schools looking for the best offer. My guess is he is also visiting some other schools on the east coast/ Big East or ACC.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

It's so depressing how much $$ is dropped on college kids.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:49 am It's so depressing how much $$ is dropped on college kids.
It's happening. College sports is now professional sports. Can you imagine if a player gets a failing grade in a class and is ruled ineligible? Maybe it was rare before but it will never happen now. The investment in these players is too high to ever keep them off the court or playing field. The term "student athlete" now only applies to olympic sports.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:19 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:49 am It's so depressing how much $$ is dropped on college kids.
It's happening. College sports is now professional sports. Can you imagine if a player gets a failing grade in a class and is ruled ineligible? Maybe it was rare before but it will never happen now. The investment in these players is too high to ever keep them off the court or playing field. The term "student athlete" now only applies to olympic sports.
Yup. It sucks. It's just professional sports without the parity or equity (I hate that word). There should at least be transfer fees or some sort of compensation to schools who develop players for the big schools. It's frickin stupid.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:18 am

If the visit is not until April 14-16th, that means he will be visiting others schools looking for the best offer. My guess is he is also visiting some other schools on the east coast/ Big East or ACC.
Tweets indicating that Xavier, Kansas and Gonzaga are also in the running for Ike.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:53 am
doreno5 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:18 am

Tweets indicating that Xavier, Kansas and Gonzaga are also in the running for Ike.
He is definitely racking up frequent flyer mileage. My initial thought was he was looking for the best NIL deal, now I think the chance to win a championship is very important to him. The money is still a big factor but if the reports are true, he is looking at schools that have a legitimate shot at cutting the nets next year. Personally I do not begrudge his choice but wish he would have stayed to try to elevate Wyoming into a program where getting to the second round was a realistic goal.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

I’ll get my head snipped off for this, which I’m okay, nonetheless if you look at the Alabama program it seems crime will be overlooked as well. Grades are secondary. Its not about student athletes, it’s about athletes. That’s it. To h311 with anything else.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:57 pm

I’ll get my head snipped off for this, which I’m okay, nonetheless if you look at the Alabama program it seems crime will be overlooked as well. Grades are secondary. Its not about student athletes, it’s about athletes. That’s it. To h311 with anything else.
And this is something new?
doreno5
Ranch Hand

wwplayer wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:01 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:57 pm

Wyoming athletes have had legal issues as well . Remember Granderson. Back when I was an undergrad Lawrence Gaines was an All-American fullback and was rumored to have had multiple charges swept under the rug.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:13 am

Wyoming athletes have had legal issues as well . Remember Granderson. Back when I was an undergrad Lawrence Gaines was an All-American fullback and was rumored to have had multiple charges swept under the rug.
The point isn't about legal troubles per se but how they are dealt with. Granderson incident occurred after his playing days were over, so that's a totally irrelevant example. Better example is Youhanna Ghaifan, who never suited up in Brown and Gold again. There are countless other examples. For all things to criticize Wyoming athletics for, poor handling off-field legal issues is not one of them.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I’m glad we don’t prosecute on rumors. I’d probably be on death row.

Everyone has legal issues. Do you really believe in a Utopian college campus where there aren’t going to be kids doing stupid stuff? I don’t. Unicorns aren’t real.

The Alabama kid took his gun to a friend which was used in a murder. Isn’t a rumor - it’s fact.

I believe overall UW has dealt swiftly with off field “non-rumored”, but factual issues. Ghaifhan, Redding, Martinez recent examples, were all suspended. Granderson is a dumb example. That happened after the season and he never played another game at UW.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:32 am
The point isn't about legal troubles per se but how they are dealt with. Granderson incident occurred after his playing days were over, so that's a totally irrelevant example. Better example is Youhanna Ghaifan, who never suited up in Brown and Gold again. There are countless other examples. For all things to criticize Wyoming athletics for, poor handling off-field legal issues is not one of them.
This is the correct take. If there’s one thing we don’t do, it’s let people slide just because they plays sports.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Ike commits to Gonzaga.