Peasley and Svoboda

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Any word on if Peasley injury just kept him out this week or if he is he out more games?

If he is back does he get the start over Svoboda? I'm assuming yes based on his overall experience and getting the nod to start the season but it sounds like Svodoba did pretty well overall today.

I'm glad that it does appear we have a capable backup regardless, which seemed questionable after the no passes in the 4th last week.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Peasley has to be the guy. I'm guessing he could have gone tonight but they weren't going to risk getting him hurt before conference play.

Now, we have 3 home games in a row. Next week is going to be really challenging. Hopefully, we can recover and get ready. On the plus side, the defense didn't spend the entire game on the field. In fact, they almost got the entire 3d quarter off.

I'm very encouraged. Our line play on both sides of the ball is as good as I've seen it in a long time.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:35 pm Peasley has to be the guy. I'm guessing he could have gone tonight but they weren't going to risk getting him hurt before conference play.

Now, we have 3 home games in a row. Next week is going to be really challenging. Hopefully, we can recover and get ready. On the plus side, the defense didn't spend the entire game on the field. In fact, they almost got the entire 3d quarter off.

I'm very encouraged. Our line play on both sides of the ball is as good as I've seen it in a long time.
You’re on point. I think we have a decent chance with Peasley even though Svboda is a better thrower. One thing that’ll be overlooked is that Evan picked up some 3rd downs through the air while it seems like Peasely will use his legs. Ultimately, the ground game slowed down which put a little too much on Evan. His pick 6 was the same play from earlier in the game which was also undercut and almost intercepted.
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

I'm impressed with Svoboda. Not an easy task against #4 Texas on the road for your first start.

I hope we get to see him more often later this season.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

We've seen this movie before.

Bohl refuses to bench the starter due to factors beyond his control (injury), even if our backup is clearly better and even if things aren't going well. He's notoriously slow and stubborn when it comes to personnel adjustments like that. Look at how long it took him to bench TVW for Chambers, and Chambers for Williams.

Now, consider that things are actually going pretty well...he's not going to suddenly take the job from Peas. Job is his when he's healthy; changes like that aren't made until/unless the season is already lost. This is how Bohl operates.

As far as an objective take on the two QBs...it's only one start. BUT....Evan seems to have a bigger arm, a more accurate arm, more composure in the pocket, and a bigger frame and the ability to take some hits a bit better than Peas. The team obviously gels with him well, and he seems to be more in sync with the receivers. As a bonus, he's still pretty mobile, though not as mobile or as much burst as Peasley. And he performed pretty goddamned well considering his first start was a last minute decision on the road against a top 5 team. Dude was super composed and in control.

But...Peas is the heart of the team.

I fear we're in the same position as we were with Chambers/Williams. Chambers was the heart and soul and energy of the team, but Williams was a better quarterback, if you know what I mean.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Peasley has that "it" factor that everyone looks for in a QB. He's a winner. He plays his ass off. Svoboda is 100% the better QB, and he'll be ready if he's needed. Peasley will for sure start if he's ready.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:31 am Peasley has that "it" factor that everyone looks for in a QB. He's a winner. He plays his ass off. Svoboda is 100% the better QB, and he'll be ready if he's needed. Peasley will for sure start if he's ready.
Peasley is the better leader, not athlete. It would not surprise me at all if ended up coaching.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:42 am
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:31 am Peasley has that "it" factor that everyone looks for in a QB. He's a winner. He plays his ass off. Svoboda is 100% the better QB, and he'll be ready if he's needed. Peasley will for sure start if he's ready.
Peasley is the better leader, not athlete. It would not surprise me at all if ended up coaching.
I would even argue that Peasley is the better athlete, but Svoboda is the better QB. I thought the CBS commentators said it well during the Texas Tech game. Something along the lines of, "He's a great football player that happens to be playing QB. Good football IQ, not great QB play."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Peasley's shoulder is f-word up. I bet we don't see him for a few weeks.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:57 pm Reading between the lines, it sounds like Peasley's shoulder is f-word up. I bet we don't see him for a few weeks.
I was kind of surprised we didn't see Clemons a little bit on Saturday.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Possibly underrated reason why our passing game is always so inefficient: the last time we had a QB start every game in a season was Josh Allen, 2016. That's 7 seasons in a row with multiple starters including this year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I am not thinking we will see Peasley this week, and maybe not next either. Conference really heats up on 10/7, with a tilt against the best team in the MWC - Fresneck.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:49 am Possibly underrated reason why our passing game is always so inefficient: the last time we had a QB start every game in a season was Josh Allen, 2016. That's 7 seasons in a row with multiple starters including this year.
Good point, and I'd add it's probably because we run our QBs so much