UW Quarterback

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Today is the first scrimmage and the day the starting QB will be determined. We won't find out until Friday, but the starting QB will emerge today. Here is a Boomerang article about the QB's:

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/article ... 851185.txt
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Is this really the right way to choose a player for a position? I mean isn't CONSISTENCY an important factor? Sween looked great in some games last year and horrible in others - with an overall average of D+ to C-.

I think that the QB choice should be from an integration of ALL practices and scrimages.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

You know what, I agree with you. I wouldn't call the QB that emerges today my starting QB, but maybe have him working with the #1 squad - at least until someone else proves himself better. Glenn has proven himself to be too loyal to some people and it may be his undoing. He is paid well to produce a winner and he hasn't been very successful at that lately.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Anyone able to attend the scrum? How'd it go? Are we totally screwed at QB? Crum seems to be the X factor here..
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

If I remember right, I think it's supposed to start at 5pm, so it's still going on. I'm not in Laramie, so I will be waiting for a report too.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Here is a link to an article about the Gipson brothers, but check out the right side of the article and you will see all the stats for the scrimmage that was held today:

http://wyomingsportsfootball.blogspot.c ... again.html
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Wow.. not a lot of production from the QBs.. but the running game appeared to be solid. Sign of things to come?
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Here is a link to a Boomerang article about the scrimmage:

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/article ... 343398.txt

All I can say is not again.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Is it the players, the plays, or, heaven forbid, another Cockhill in Cole?
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote:Is it the players, the plays, or, heaven forbid, another Cockhill in Cole?
No, it is conundrum AND a dilemma. There is no easy fix, there may well not be a fix if trustees and fans of UW are insisting on challenging for a MWC title 4 out of 5 years, and/or expecting to win 3 championships out of ten years. Firing the coach will make the conundrum worse, the dilemma remains the same.

Wyoming has no advantage whatsoever on the powers of this conference, that is the cold hard fact.

It either has to be accepted as it is, or some serious rethinking about the future of UW athletics may have to ensue.

It's a proud bunch of folks who pull the strings here in Wyoming, and rethinking is an unlikely option to them.

Therefore I would predict things to not get a whole lot better in Football, and fear It could become a lot worse before attaining the status of the past five years again. The glorious years of the WAC are gone for good, IMO.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

So I heard through the grapevine that Dax Crum may be starting the season opener for the Pokes vs. Ohio. Sween's ride could be over.

It's also getting around that Adam Berry may have the best arm of the QBs.. any truth to this, anyone?
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

pokerupfront wrote:The glorious years of the WAC are gone for good, IMO.
I miss those years. Still play the 1988 highlight video every few weeks. The good ole days died the day the WAC made the dumb-a$$ed mistake of adding 6 schools to the conference in 1996. should've added ONLY 2, not 6!!!!!!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:So I heard through the grapevine that Dax Crum may be starting the season opener for the Pokes vs. Ohio. Sween's ride could be over.

It's also getting around that Adam Berry may have the best arm of the QBs.. any truth to this, anyone?
Adam Barry does, in fact, have the biggest arm of this bunch and its not even close.. He was told that by the coaches during and after he was recruited..

It kinda sucks that he's so young because if he had a yr in the system..he would most likely be 'the guy' this year. Dont be shocked if he starts his rFr or rSoph year. He's really the bright spot/qb of the future.

My buddy has been covering and watching all of the practices.. he swears that the two MOST legit freshmen are Tashaun Gipson and Adam Barry. I was told, during the practice where Barry laid out a linebacker while scrambling (which was also the biggest hit..in general.. of the practices this summer), that Barry looked ''just like Tim Tebo''
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Give Barry time....

I say go with Crum, its time for a new regime, get on with the new. Throw something the MWC isn't ready for....
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:Give Barry time....

I say go with Crum, its time for a new regime, get on with the new. Throw something the MWC isn't ready for....
Like Wyoming winning late season games FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

The usual last season collapses has gotten embarrassing for me whenever I chat with my Hawai'i friends.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

I agree and certainly hope the decision coming after the scrimmage is based on what they have done for the past 7+ months, and not weighted too heavily on the scrimmage. That being said, what do you expect to gather from a scrimmage in which Sween throws a whopping TWO passes, and Crum a mind shattering seven??? Not only is seven ridiculously too few to draw any conclusions, but why did Crum get almost 400% more passing plays?

That, along with everything said and done last Spring and this fall leads me to believe that Dax Crum will be announced tomorrow morning as the starting QB for August 30th against Ohio. If Sween was leading the race, he would likely have been named the starter earlier, as he is basically the incumbent guy. I think Glenn and Cole wanted Sween to run away with the job last Spring and through this Fall. I think they wanted him to take that next step since he has fiftenn plus games of experience under his belt. But given the fact that they have already stated to the public that no one has seperated, it just leaves me to believe they will go with Crum, and hope he seperates as he has experience on the field, in the manner they hoped Sween would and never did. I'm probably wrong, I always am on these things, but thats just my gut feeling. I'll get back on tomorrow evening and see if my prediction was correct. I do hope they announce one tomorrow, one way or another, so the team can move forward with a 1st string offense.
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

I will back what ever QB they decide on, that is why the coaches are there, to make the tough decisions. I may not stand behind that decision if we lose the first three games and throw more PICKS than TD's. I hope in a way that it is Crum, just for the unknown factor. We pretty much know what we are going to get with Sween, hopefully he has matured and learned, blah blah, but he is not all of a sudden going to be the next Wallwork. Anyway, it is good that we have several possibilities, and that the race is so close, taht means we are starting to actually have DEPTH, that would be nice...

GO POKES!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

They pick Crum. 3 year starter, can't get any better then that.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:They pick Crum. 3 year starter, can't get any better then that.
I don't care who starts. I want Wyoming to start winning. It's has gotten pathetic to be a Wyoming fan.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Used to be a lot worse! Remember 2001??

My info on Crum was correct.. hopefully he can bring a spark to the Cowboys. I assume that Berry will be redshirting this year?
ImageImageImageImage