Fire Bohl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

I suppose we're going to suffer at least one more mediocre season with Bohl until his contract is up next year.

This pattern is so disappointing.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

J-Bone wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:46 pm I suppose we're going to suffer at least one more mediocre season with Bohl until his contract is up next year.

This pattern is so disappointing.
Yeah, Bohl will be here next year for sure
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:00 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:45 am

I'm just saying we are not competitive with the top 50... You could change that to the top 60 or top half and the point remains. We are on the wrong side of that line unless you make it the top three quarters or so. If your are in the bottom 3\4 or 2\3 or half...you aren't competitive with the programs on the other side of that line. Would Wyoming be a top half program since the year 2000? In all of FBS? Maybe? Nonetheless it has remained stable that way since before the year 2000. The bright spots for the program since then are decidedly pedestrian.

As far as home record vs top 50 teams (or wherever you draw that line), it's also terrible but the games are more competitive and when we do beat a team "with a pulse" (Fresno and TT both top 50 SRS this year) it is going to be in Laramie.
I understand. I'm just saying that cutoff bar...60, 70, whatever... hasn't changed. The number of teams we play above or below that line changed.
I see... Well.... We have proven that we lose to those teams wether there are ten on the schedule or 2.

For purposes of the discussion...I propose the top 60 as the "bar". That isjust under half of the FBS.

The top two to four conference teams have been above that bar pretty much every year going back for as far as I can remember. If Wyoming generally can't beat them (and they generally can't anymore... Regardless of coach), there really isn't a conference championship in our future.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Barring any portal transfers we lose:
Wieland WR
Welch TE
Stewart P
Peaseley QB
Hawkins CB
Harrel CB
Goodbout NT
Crum OT

Only about four of them that we’ll really miss. So with Bohl at the helm we’re probably looking at another 6-6 or 7-5 season. Bohl will retire after 11 years with a 65-65 record. Does anyone think that justifies this statement from gowyo.com ?

During the past nine seasons under the direction of Bohl, Wyoming Football has enjoyed a level of excellence that has never been reached in the rich history of Cowboy Football.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:16 pm Barring any portal transfers we lose:
Wieland WR
Welch TE
Stewart P
Peaseley QB
Hawkins CB
Harrel CB
Goodbout NT
Crum OT

Only about four of them that we’ll really miss. So with Bohl at the helm we’re probably looking at another 6-6 or 7-5 season. Bohl will retire after 11 years with a 65-65 record. Does anyone think that justifies this statement from gowyo.com ?

During the past nine seasons under the direction of Bohl, Wyoming Football has enjoyed a level of excellence that has never been reached in the rich history of Cowboy Football.
That's a bit much. :roll:
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

If we don’t win the next two, he should be on the hot seat.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

phxpoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:20 pm If we don’t win the next two, he should be on the hot seat.
Well considering one is on the road there’s zero chance we win both.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:49 pm
phxpoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:20 pm If we don’t win the next two, he should be on the hot seat.
Nevada freakimg blows. I bet we win that one in a squeaker
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:06 pm
ZapPoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:16 pm Barring any portal transfers we lose:
Wieland WR
Welch TE
Stewart P
Peaseley QB
Hawkins CB
Harrel CB
Goodbout NT
Crum OT

Probably written by somebody who never heard of Roach, Tiller, Devaney, and much as there is a lot which he did wrong Eaton
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:09 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:49 pm

Nevada freakimg blows. I bet we win that one in a squeaker
And we should beat Hawaii in Laramie since they are just pathetic as we are on the road. Although they did beat Nevada in Reno but still.....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

doreno5 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:07 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:06 pm

Probably written by somebody who never heard of Roach, Tiller, Devaney, and much as there is a lot which he did wrong Eaton
Eaton deep sixed the entire football program. Roach managed to salvage it for a very short while. RIP to a legend, Paul Roach.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm starting to come to terms with that this is probably this team's peak. Maybe the transfer situation will calm down a bit, but the truth is, we're never going to be a great location for talent again. We simply don't have the market or the money. Bohl has attracted some defensive players probably based on managing to get a decent number of them into the NFL, but any replacement for him likely wouldn't have that same draw.

All things considered, we've probably done better this season than we should have. Defeatist? Likely. At this point I'm just happy we beat the sheep.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

UNLV hires a new coach and is looking likely to play and possibly win a mw championship in the first year. Man I wish we could try a new coach and just see what happens. It doesn't always have to be a 10+ year rebuild, It doesn't even have to be a case where we only win 6 games over the first two seasons of a new coach like we did with Bohl. It is possible to hire a coach and turn around a team quickly.

I find it sickening to think that San Jose State got a championship and UNLV may get a conference championships in the time that we have had bohl after how bad they were just a few years back and we continue to settle for the fact that we can make a toilet bowl game every year at six wins or seven wins because we are too scared to move on from the coach because of what might happen with a new coach. We are so scared of what could happen with a new coach, that we settle for mediocrity because bohl can beat a terrible CSU team almost every year and that is the only bar we set for him
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 35 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:48 am
I find it sickening to think that San Jose State got a championship and UNLV may get a conference championships in the time that we have had bohl after how bad they were just a few years back and we continue to settle
USU, too. People tend to forget that USU historically/on average isn't very good either. Sixteen losing seasons since 2000 (not counting how this one plays out), and even they have a damned MWC championship. Lmao.

It's pathetic.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:48 am UNLV hires a new coach and is looking likely to play and possibly win a mw championship in the first year. Man I wish we could try a new coach and just see what happens. It doesn't always have to be a 10 year plus rebuild, It doesn't even have to be a case where we only win 6 games over the first two seasons of a new coach like we did with Bohl. It is possible to hire a coach and turn around a team quickly.

I find it sickening to think that San Jose State got a championship and UNLV may get a conference championships in the time that we have had bohl after how bad they were just a few years back and we can continue to settle for the fact that we can make a toilet bowl game every year at six wins or seven wins because we are too scared to move on from the coach because of what might happen with a new coach. We are so scared of what could happen with a new coach, that we settle for mediocrity because bohl can beat a terrible CSU team almost every year and that is the only bar we set for him
I do see the UNLV thing that is going on with their new coach and we'll see if they get a chip this year. Utah St bringing in Blake Anderson and winning in his first year is the comp that Wyoming fans can point to currently for quick turn around. The SJSU championship was won by a coach in his 4th year and who currently has an overall conference winning percentage worse than Bohl. The USU championship in '21 was truly a worst-to-first situation that seems unlikely to be replicated. If UNLV pulls it off this year It still is not as impressive as that.

First year head coach MW champions with current conference membership:

'22 - FSU - Tedford - 10 wins previous year
'21 - USU - Anderson - 1 win previous year (Covid year)
'14 - BSU - Harsin - 8 wins previous year

Second year head coach MW champions with current conference membership:

'18 - FSU - Tedford - 10 Wins Previous year
'13 - FSU - DeRuyter - 9 Wins Previous year

All of these new coaches with championships were with very good teams inherited from the previous coach except for the '21 USU team.

All this to say...the "hire-em and fire-em" approach is much more likely to put us into the bottom of the conference than the top. Wyoming has a program problem that has been consistent across head coaches since the final Dimel years. I'm absolutely fine with moving on from Bohl but I would caution fans against optimism should that happen. (and I'm not saying to be optimistic with Bohl at the helm either)
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

For what it's worth, Texas A&M just fired Jimbo Fisher. His buyout - $76,000,000. He was currently 6-4, and has an overall record of 45-25 at A&M. First off, that kind of money for a coach is obscene. Giving him a guarantee of $95 million in 2021 on a ten year deal was pretty freaking stupid as well. As bad as all of that is, keeping Bohl and his sub .500 record for 10 years is just as stupid...just a cheaper kind of stupid, with worse results.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ReecesRiver
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Boise St just fired Andy Avalos. Different standards in the Potato State obviously but they did it. I don't ever seeing Bohl being fired it would be a kiss of death to Burman.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Jimbo Fisher is available
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 35 times

Realistically, there's a few scenarios here:

-Bohl loses both remaining games. Burman has to cave to the pressure and fire him, or Craig is forced to retire behind the scenes.

-Bohl may choose to retire on his own at season's end. We've discussed elsewhere that he's really starting to seem at the end of the line, out of answers, out of energy, and borderline unhappy in general. There's also clearly nothing left for him to accomplish (that he's actually capable of doing).

-Bohl wins one or both of the remaining games, he wants to come back for one last ride, and Burman stands firm in allowing him to finish out his contract.

#1 is least likely; 2 and 3 are both equally likely.

Regardless, there's obviously zero chance he gets extended at least, so there's that. Burman's not that stupid, I honestly don't think Bohl even wants to coach beyond 2024, and an announcement would have already come by now (it usually gets done midseason).
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:31 am
Regardless, there's obviously zero chance he gets extended at least, so there's that. Burman's not that stupid, I honestly don't think Bohl even wants to coach beyond 2024, and an announcement would have already come by now (it usually gets done midseason).
I Don't know about zero chance. Most programs don't keep "lame duck coaches" which are coaches in a final year of their contract, because it is a killer on any recruiting and transfer portal as all the players generally know that the coach is then gone after that year and usually don't want to commit to a coach that is only there for one year that might be their redshirt year.

So in most programs you would either have to get rid of Bohl this year or give him some sort of extension. I certainly hope we don't give him an extension, but I think it's much greater than a 0% chance that that could happen