What MWC bowls are not "crap bowl"?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I see a lot written about making another "crap bowl". Aside from the obvious ny6 bowl, what MWC bowls are considered "not crap"? Just curious before bowl selection.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 239 times

The one the conference champ gets is slightly, slightly less crap. AF also has the potential to get slightly less crap bowl games because of the military stuff and their “brand” and ostensible appeal. All the other MWC bowls are pure crap
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:40 pm . All the other MWC bowls are pure crap
As opposed to ‘Holy Crap’ what bowl is that…
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

In my opinion all are crap except for LA bowl. I think the Mountain West has the worst bowl ties of all conferences. I hope they improve with the pac-12 going away. But the only way to not be in the crap bowl is to win the conference, or be good enough that you get farmed out to another bowl via some trades like what has happened for both Air Force and Boise State in the past
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 129 times

I'd agree with most of this. In reality, getting something other than a crap bowl is pretty tough regardless of coach. I always thought that criticism of Bohl was unfair.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times

The Arizona Bowl is at least in a fun warm weather location.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Well if we ever WIN the conference we won't be playing in a "crap" bowl!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

The bowls that non-conference champs get invited to are always lessor..... The expansion of the bowl system means that the "bowl team" moniker means less than it did years ago. I, for one, am glad there are more. If your want to go back to when ten win Wyoming teams did not get any bowl invitation at all... Just say so.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

It's always amusing to me how much Wyoming fans complain about the bowls.

They're almost always interesting matchups and competitive games, and most of them are in decent locations (save for Boise, but jesus christ 9 times out of ten I'd still take the Treasure Valley over the Laramie Valley in December.)

Reminds me of everyone's meltdown here over the AZ/Barstool bowl coverage few years back...when by and large everyone else in the CFB world absolutely loved it and it got rave reviews. It was literally only the stodgy, stuffy Wyoming fanbase that had a problem with it.

What's most interesting to me, though, is that many of the same people that complain about not getting a "better" bowl are the exact same people that will defend Bohl and claim that we should be happy to be making bowls at all.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Want a better bowl? You need to at least win a championship. Nothing in CFB is handed to us for free.

Anyway, rant over. As much as I'd prefer championships and I've been very vocal about demanding more out of this program at this point, none of these bowls are anywhere near as terrible as people cry about...and I'll be perfectly content watching one more Wyoming football game against an OoC opponent that I probably know little about, knowing that it's at minimum good exposure for the program. This is what we've been given based on our performance; might as well enjoy it instead of crying nonstop about it.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

phxpoke wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:33 pm The Arizona Bowl is at least in a fun warm weather location.

If it isn't on cable television, it's crap. I'm not a Barstool hater either.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:33 am
phxpoke wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:33 pm The Arizona Bowl is at least in a fun warm weather location.

I disagree. I am not sure catering to the nursing home crowd is really helpful for building a fanbase.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:38 am
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:33 am

I disagree. I am not sure catering to the nursing home crowd is really helpful for building a fanbase.
Any potential fan/viewer of any age has either cable or a streaming service. The AZ bowl cannot be seen on either. It requires effort/set up that is only slightly less F'd up than watching a Hawaii game. It was a unique experience last year and I think Barstool does some cool things with the game - I also liked Dave Portnoy being willing to say that Bohl coached the game like coward. But I'm all set on going back to that bowl again.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:04 am

Any potential fan/viewer of any age has either cable or a streaming service. The AZ bowl cannot be seen on either. It requires effort/set up that is only slightly less F'd up than watching a Hawaii game. It was a unique experience last year and I think Barstool does some cool things with the game - I also liked Dave Portnoy being willing to say that Bohl coached the game like coward. But I'm all set on going back to that bowl again.
It was simple on both smart TVs or any streaming device. I doubt we get picked for the Arizona Bowl (having been last year) but the streaming aspect was far from an impediment to anyone’s access other than those folks unwilling to get with the times.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:04 am

Not to weigh in of whether the AZ bowl is any good or not but isn't this an example of trying something different? The revenue model of CFB is skewed in a way that is detrimental to Wyoming (and the MWC). I see a lot of comments saying that the MW commissioner or the Wyoming athletic director needs to think outside the box, but the $$ just are not there. I would love to see more streaming or something....anything that gives the non-big time programs some visibility that is not so destabilizing like the networks have been.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times

I read the CW network is picking up the AZ bowl.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Wonder what will happen to the Holiday Bowl after this bowl season with the PAC-12 going belly up. That could be a bowl MW could get eventually.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Wyokie wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 pm Wonder what will happen to the Holiday Bowl after this bowl season with the PAC-12 going belly up. That could be a bowl MW could get eventually.
The Sun Bowl I believe would be another one we could possibly get out of the merger as well.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

aranderson wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:57 am
Wyokie wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 pm Wonder what will happen to the Holiday Bowl after this bowl season with the PAC-12 going belly up. That could be a bowl MW could get eventually.
The Sun Bowl I believe would be another one we could possibly get out of the merger as well.
I would also guess that the Las Vegas Bowl will be back in play
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Welp we just got picked to go to the crappiest of the crappy bowls.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:45 pm Welp we just got picked to go to the crappiest of the crappy bowls.
No we didn’t. This is your personal bias against barstool.