Jay Sawvel named head coach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:08 am
307bball wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:02 am

Exactly....again...Burman answers to his supervisors...they (University pres, BOT, Legislature) are the problem....not Burman. He is the product of the system. Fire him and get another one and see what happens.
I don't know, and am not privy to their thoughts / meetings / conversations, etc. But, I can see from the outside that the BOT and UW president, are satisfied "just enough" to not rock the boat or make wholesale changes. Hell, it is quite likley that they don't want to deal with change (either). Not everyone is comfortable with change, in fact, one could say the good 'ol boys club hates change...and a large portion of the BOT are just that - good 'ol boys.
This is definitely an aspect of Wyoming culture.... There are aspects of it that I don't like (inability to adapt to a changing world for one), but Wyoming is a pretty unique place and that aspect is part of that...good and bad. If we fast forward 15 or so years and Laramie and Cheyenne are the new hot areas for Californians to invest their money and look a lot like Boise does now, is that good? It's probably good for some and not so good for others.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:31 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:23 am I would have preferred a national search. And I would prefer someone with HC experience at some level. BUT let's give him our support. What else can we do?
Agreed. I would prefer a shot at Jerry Kill or Barry Odom, but hey, maybe Sawvel can pull off something Bohl never did - a MWC Championship? That said, this should be Tom's last hire if it ends up failing. Then again, extend him (Tom) if Sawvel kills it.
Is the consensus still that we wish we had Jerry Kill? NMSU was smoked by Fresno (not even a competitive game). Wyoming beat 3 teams that won bowl games yesterday (Fresno, Texas Tech, App State).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:18 am
McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:31 am

Agreed. I would prefer a shot at Jerry Kill or Barry Odom, but hey, maybe Sawvel can pull off something Bohl never did - a MWC Championship? That said, this should be Tom's last hire if it ends up failing. Then again, extend him (Tom) if Sawvel kills it.
Is the consensus still that we wish we had Jerry Kill? NMSU was smoked by Fresno (not even a competitive game). Wyoming beat 3 teams that won bowl games yesterday (Fresno, Texas Tech, App State).
That’s a pretty damn good season imo
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:12 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:18 am

Lol, I know. Maybe we should compare year 1 and 2 for Kill to year 1 and 2 for Bohl. Let's see how that debate goes.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:39 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Lol, I know. Maybe we should compare year 1 and 2 for Kill to year 1 and 2 for Bohl. Let's see how that debate goes.
Apples and oranges.

The transfer portal didn’t exist during Bohl’s first two years to clean up the mess of a roster left by DC. Kill loaded up on transfer portal upper classmen.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:17 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:39 pm

Apples and oranges.

The transfer portal didn’t exist during Bohl’s first two years to clean up the mess of a roster left by DC. Kill loaded up on transfer portal upper classmen.
plus, we'd have to see how year 3 and 4 go for Kill. Bohl built it right. Took the time and his lumps and got to the championship. After one bad year of the portal, I think he used it very well. Only a few plays from being in the championship game again with a team of transfers in some of the most important positions.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:50 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:17 pm

Apples and oranges.

plus, we'd have to see how year 3 and 4 go for Kill. Bohl built it right. Took the time and his lumps and got to the championship. After one bad year of the portal, I think he used it very well. Only a few plays from being in the championship game again with a team of transfers in some of the most important positions.
Well then, by that logic, anything less than 10 wins, conference runner up, and bowl win should be disappointment for Sawvell.

What was Bohl's record against Fresno? I honestly don't remember.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:33 am

Well then, by that logic, anything less than 10 wins, conference runner up, and bowl win should be disappointment for Sawvell.

Curious - do you believe Conference USA is as good as the MWC and thus wins should be comparable?Do you believe NMSU’s out of conference losses to the juggernauts known as Hawaii and UMASS should be acceptable? Other than their surprising win over 6-6 Auburn, can you point us to another win that NMSU had which would be considered a good win?

I guess I just really need help understanding why we should be envious of NMSU and Kill.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:52 am

Curious - do you believe Conference USA is as good as the MWC and thus wins should be comparable?Do you believe NMSU’s out of conference losses to the juggernauts known as Hawaii and UMASS should be acceptable? Other than their surprising win over 6-6 Auburn, can you point us to another win that NMSU had which would be considered a good win?

I guess I just really need help understanding why we should be envious of NMSU and Kill.
You're right. We had a juggernaut schedule with an sos of about 94 compared with 120 something for nmsu.

Envious? I don't know. Kill resume vs Sawvell's? I guess difference in opinion.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

This constant need to try and set a historically unrealistically high bar for the Wyoming Football coach who's hiring process you hated is wearing thin. Wyoming has won 10 games exactly once since 1989 (35 years!!). There was a 15 year stretch in there, starting in the year 2000 where we barely averaged 4 wins/season. In that time, Wyoming's best season's:

1996 10 Tiller
1990 9 Roach
2023 8 Bohl
2019 8 Bohl
2017 8 Bohl
2016 8 Bohl

2011 8 Christensen
1998 8 Dimel
1993 8 Tiller

Those 9 years were the best. What coach is coming in to Laramie and winning 10 games next year? is there one in all of the country?

Look, we all want the same thing. Every person that supports Wyoming football, from the casual fan, to the administration, to the coaches want more. Nobody is happy with mediocrity or is "settling"...including Burman and the higher ups. Wanting a better outcome and actually having an avenue to achieve it may not actually coincide, no matter what was claimed in the vaunted Sternberg report.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:06 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:52 am

You're right. We had a juggernaut schedule with an sos of about 94 compared with 120 something for nmsu.

Are you cherry picking SOS results?

Almost all the reputable SOS rankings that I’ve seen have Wyoming’s SOS in the 70s and NMSU close to the worst in the entire country. In addition, Wyoming’s SOS will improve after the bowl wins of App State and Texas Tech.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Also - sorry that Wyoming only scheduled Texas Tech, Texas and App State along with the yearly FCS team. I suppose we ought to schedule Michigan, Alabama and Ohio State instead to meet the expectation.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Nothing amuses me more than to watch almost the entire board pile on rag as he continues to double down endlessly.

Guess he'll eventually have to resign himself to going back to shouting nonsense into the void in the off-topic forum. Lol.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Wonder if it would be possible to take a run at Scottie Hazelton for DC. After all, he's available....
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:14 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:06 am

Are you cherry picking SOS results?

Almost all the reputable SOS rankings that I’ve seen have Wyoming’s SOS in the 70s and NMSU close to the worst in the entire country. In addition, Wyoming’s SOS will improve after the bowl wins of App State and Texas Tech.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Also - sorry that Wyoming only scheduled Texas Tech, Texas and App State along with the yearly FCS team. I suppose we ought to schedule Michigan, Alabama and Ohio State instead to meet the expectation.
Betting site so theirs may be different. Either way, I said you are right. Ridiculously hard schedule for POKES this year vs years past.

How about Bohl's record vs fresno or debating Kill's resume vs Sawvell?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:00 am Nothing amuses me more than to watch almost the entire board pile on rag as he continues to double down endlessly.

Guess he'll eventually have to resign himself to going back to shouting nonsense into the void in the off-topic forum. Lol.
Meh, we'll see next year. I've bookmarked this. I'm sure you have too.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:44 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:00 am Nothing amuses me more than to watch almost the entire board pile on rag as he continues to double down endlessly.

We'll see what?? Who is predicting a good season next year? If Sawvell wins 8+ .... literally all of us will have predicted incorrectly.

I've about exhausted myself trying to coherently discuss our views of Bohl's retirement, Sawvell's hiring, and Burman's role in all of it. A lot of us (myself included) are fine with the hire...A lot of us (myself included) don't feel too optimistic and would have liked to see a different outcome. It is you who is heck-bent on drawing some inane line to divide people. If it turns out that Sawvell is a good hire and he has, at minimum, Bohl level of success...who is beating their chest about predicting that?? If he goes down spectacularly and takes the Burman administration down with him, Is that some sort of victory for you? All this forum-flexing talk about receipts and bookmarks is laughable when there is real disagreement, but it borders on pathological when there is not even a disagreement to be had.

As far as I can tell...the only thing I disagree with you on is the reason that Wyoming football has struggled. Even that is probably a disagreement in degree. From your perspective, what is it that you think next years results will reveal that will prove anything?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:10 am

We'll see what?? Who is predicting a good season next year? If Sawvell wins 8+ .... literally all of us will have predicted incorrectly.

I've about exhausted myself trying to coherently discuss our views of Bohl's retirement, Sawvell's hiring, and Burman's role in all of it. A lot of us (myself included) are fine with the hire...A lot of us (myself included) don't feel too optimistic and would have liked to see a different outcome. It is you who is heck-bent on drawing some inane line to divide people. If it turns out that Sawvell is a good hire and he has, at minimum, Bohl level of success...who is beating their chest about predicting that?? If he goes down spectacularly and takes the Burman administration down with him, Is that some sort of victory for you? All this forum-flexing talk about receipts and bookmarks is laughable when there is real disagreement, but it borders on pathological when there is not even a disagreement to be had.

As far as I can tell...the only thing I disagree with you on is the reason that Wyoming football has struggled. Even that is probably a disagreement in degree. From your perspective, what is it that you think next years results will reveal that will prove anything?
Next season will be interesting. I am withholding judgment until I see who is hired as DC and OC (Bohl Jr. is too inexperienced in my view). I am also interested to see what other changes are made. If he fires Grant, I am a huge fan of the hire.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:10 am

Who said you?

I'm sure if the wheels fall off, you're right. If it's a successful season, then you're wrong.

Me? I called it like I see it. A b.s. hiring process.

Of course I hope the fanboys can give it to me next year. Make no mistake, they will if the opportunity presents itself.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:36 pm
Who said you?

I'm sure if the wheels fall off, you're right. If it's a successful season, then you're wrong.

Of course I hope the fanboys can give it to me next year. Make no mistake, they will if the opportunity presents itself.
This repeated argument makes me laugh. Literally not a single person I’ve seen has predicted 10 win seasons or conference championships.

The whole point is that no hiring process nor new coach is going to transform Wyoming football into a top 25 team in the new NIL and transfer portal environment where Wyoming lags far far behind.

So ‘take your receipts’ as you put it but your whole exercise is beyond silly IMO.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:36 pm
Who said you?

This repeated argument makes me laugh. Literally not a single person I’ve seen has predicted 10 win seasons or conference championships.

The whole point is that no hiring process nor new coach is going to transform Wyoming football into a top 25 team in the new NIL and transfer portal environment where Wyoming lags far far behind.

So ‘take your receipts’ as you put it but your whole exercise is beyond silly IMO.
Perhaps. However, the wrong hire and hiring process will send us downward.

I'm glad you think this was the best approach and option. I don't. Next season will tell.