New OC - Jay Johnson

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 239 times

DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

"Hellen Keller with an old crayon set could draw up better plays than this highway robber."

Lmao.

Also some cute reactions from CFB fans on twitter:

"I’m sorry Wyoming fans. Get ready for endless swing passes!"

"RIP Wyoming offense"

"What did Wyoming fans do to deserve this?"

"If Wyoming plays a bunch of coaches that just came from high school they’ll be fine as Johnson’s schemes are like high school schemes. Also, Wyoming, be prepared for the 4th and 1 shotgun QB sneaks."

"Get ready for draws out of the shotgun on third and long"

"Wyoming didn't do anything to deserve this. I'm so, so sorry."

"Huge! One of the best in the game. If the game is not scoring points."

"There isn’t a HS football coach in town that wanted the job? That’s gotta be better than what Jay did at msu."

"The head coach should be immediately fired for that hire."

"Praying for Wyoming offense"

It goes on and on....we're literally becoming a meme already.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Probably a C- hire. Hopefully we continue to play good defense and at least get to that 30 point a game average.
ReecesRiver
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Yikes... did no one else want this job? Johnson was the worst OC in all of FBS besides Brian Ferentz maybe.....

A blind mouse could win games with kenneth walker, jaylen nailor, and jayden reed. This is not a good hire.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

ReecesRiver wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:10 pm Yikes... did no one else want this job? Johnson was the worst OC in all of FBS besides Brian Ferentz maybe.....

A blind mouse could win games with kenneth walker, jaylen nailor, and jayden reed. This is not a good hire.
What's even more mind-boggling is the number of people on this board that think this is a good hire, lmao.

The entire CFB world has been either laughing at us, or crying for us, all day.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Yikes, this hire is really out of left field. "During Johnson’s four seasons at Michigan State, the team finished 90th or worse in the country in scoring three times" - However this falls right in line with our offensive style :lol:
I'm good for 3!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 239 times

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 am Yikes, this hire is really out of left field. "During Johnson’s four seasons at Michigan State, the team finished 90th or worse in the country in scoring three times" - However this falls right in line with our offensive style :lol:
He was coaching under Mel Tucker - who was more interested in banging motivational speakers than coaching football. I'll give him a pass. He was a good OC at other places.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Different head coaches and their vice grip on play calling can yield different results. Let's give Coach Johnson a shot here before he's written off. Not a earth shattering hire by any means, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Penn State fan908
Buckaroo

I'm a little wary, MSU underachieved relative to their talent they did get 4 stars, but he did coach under Mel Tucker, and the Big 10 is tougher than the MWC.I think for all our struggles on offense i'd pick someone who can be a good OC.Mike Yurcich would've been a better hire than Johnson.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

What's even more interesting to me is how much leeway y'all are giving Johnson for being constricted by terrible coaches.

This same board has repeatedly thrown the suggestion of Arroyo as HC or OC under the bus....in spite of having accomplished more as an OC under similarly crappy coaches. Cristobal and Christensen are both considered meme-level coaches (and even then Arroyo was always able to put up better numbers in spite of that). Yet he doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt?

Make up your minds.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:02 am What's even more interesting to me is how much leeway y'all are giving Johnson for being constricted by terrible coaches.

This same board has repeatedly thrown the suggestion of Arroyo as HC or OC under the bus....in spite of having accomplished more as an OC under similarly crappy coaches. Cristobal and Christensen are both considered meme-level coaches (and even then Arroyo was always able to put up better numbers in spite of that). Yet he doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt?

Make up your minds.
I’m not impressed by the hire on paper but we will see how it shakes out.

But suggesting Arroyo!? He appears to be a cancer to a football program. There’s a reason UNLV improved by leaps and bounds when he left.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

By the way, he wasn't just bad at MSU.

He's had basically one "good" year in his entire career. The rest has been mediocre to abysmal. his best years were a decade ago in one of the weakest conferences in CFB, and he was average at best there.

Numbers don't lie. Read it and weep.

Jay Johnson national offensive ranks as OC:

At Louisiana (SBC)

2011 - 51th

2012 - 29th

2013 - 58th

2014 - 57th

2015 - 77th

At Minnesota (B1G)

2016 - 107th

At Colorado (Pac-12)

2019 - 83rd

At Michigan State (B1G)

2020 - 109th

2021 - 42nd

2022 - 97th

2023 - 128th

Johnson has spent the majority of his career fielding offenses worse than Wyoming's, often against weaker competition. Let that sink in for a minute while y'all continue to move the goalposts ("oh he wasn't that bad", "ok maybe he was, but it was because of bad head coaches"....what's next? "He just needs a change of scenery" or some sh**? Lmao. How many changes of scenery does a MF need?)
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:07 am
But suggesting Arroyo!? He appears to be a cancer to a football program. There’s a reason UNLV improved by leaps and bounds when he left.
You clearly never actually paid attention to UNLV football. Arroyo was tasked with cleaning up one of the worst programs in college football, and his first year was Covid.

If you actually watched UNLV football in his third year and paid attention to stats, there was marked progression and they were on the verge of breaking through. Lots of close losses against good competition and a statistically much better offense and defense than previous years.

Most UNLV fans were stunned at his firing, and while Odom definitely took them to new heights....he did so with a TON of players that Arroyo recruited (including key players) and that program had already been trending upwards. Most UNLV fans....while they're happy with Odom....believe Arroyo would have done the same or at least come close to it in his 4th year.

Also, check your stats. The offense showed the same interval of improvement in conference ranking between Arroyo 2/3 and Arroyo 3/Odom 1, and the defense actually remained about the same between Arroyo's last year and Odom's first year. The team improving by "leaps and bounds" because of Odom is disingenuous at best.

There's a reason Arroyo's already got another P5 OC/QBC job, lol.

But again, I ask....Arroyo has accomplished more as an OC than Johnson ever will, under equally bad (or worse) coaches. He also recruited and developed one of Wyoming's greatest QBs, and began a turnaround at one of the worst programs in MWC history. Why the double standard? Why does Johnson (see the abysmal stats above) get a pass while Arroyo gets thrown under the bus?

I don't care either way what people wanna believe in general, but I wish people would at least be consistent.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:39 am But again, I ask....Arroyo has accomplished more as an OC than Johnson ever will, under equally bad (or worse) coaches. He also recruited and developed one of Wyoming's greatest QBs, and began a turnaround at one of the worst programs in MWC history. Why the double standard? Why does Johnson (see the abysmal stats above) get a pass while Arroyo gets thrown under the bus?

I don't care either way what people wanna believe in general, but I wish people would at least be consistent.
Sorry, but I don’t consider Austyn Carta-Samuels as breaking the list of the roughly top 50 QBs at Wyoming. If by chance you meant Brett Smith, Arroyo never coached him for a single day.

Turnaround at Wyoming!?!? What are you talking about. The DC era was the same or worse than the Glenn era immediately before. If you’re talking purely yardage, that’s an apples and oranges comparison between the types of offenses.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:19 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:39 am But again, I ask....Arroyo has accomplished more as an OC than Johnson ever will, under equally bad (or worse) coaches. He also recruited and developed one of Wyoming's greatest QBs, and began a turnaround at one of the worst programs in MWC history. Why the double standard? Why does Johnson (see the abysmal stats above) get a pass while Arroyo gets thrown under the bus?

Sorry, but I don’t consider Austyn Carta-Samuels as breaking the list of the roughly top 50 QBs at Wyoming. If by chance you meant Brett Smith, Arroyo never coached him for a single day.

Turnaround at Wyoming!?!? What are you talking about. The DC era was the same or worse than the Glenn era immediately before. If you’re talking purely yardage, that’s an apples and oranges comparison between the types of offenses.
I think River doesn’t know much.
W-Y, Until I Die!
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:19 pm

I'd say the stiff-arm on the touchdown run at CSU puts him in the top 50. That was a great play. Also, Arroyo and ACS hated each other.