Bowl win shine already worn off?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:38 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:41 pm

Steinbrenner bought the Yankees, a business. He realized a return on his investment.

If I’m a NIL investor, what do I get in return? Where/what is my return on investment?
The *real* NIL money is not an investment...they are trying to buy wins.

Some excerpts from an investigative reporter looking into NIL:

"Particularly, they were saying we’re going to pay every offensive lineman on the University of Texas team $50,000 a year. And all you have to do to get the money is to be on the team — to be academically eligible to play."

"Charities don’t pay offensive linemen. And I was struggling to figure out how they’re squaring their mission of helping the public good with their apparent goal of helping the University of Texas win football games."

"So I started looking into this. And what I found was that this University of Texas group was one of more than 100 groups that were doing similar things at schools all around the country — using cash from donors to pay athletes and to attract athletes to their school to keep them when they were already there. And what I also found was that those payments were kind of in a way that may be not be obvious to the average fan and definitely not obvious to the casual fan were reshaping the power dynamics, the rules, the very sort of essence of big-time college football."

Talking about how it used to be and what has changed:

"Hundreds of millions of dollars, billions of dollars, flowing into these schools collectively from TV deals, from ticket sales, and it finds all these other channels. Coaches get paid tens of millions of dollars a year. And the money would get filtered to players in a way in that they would get scholarships. And they would get a nice dorm to live in, very nice athletic facilities, but the players did not get paid. And that was both the rule and also sort of the moral heart of college sports for so long was this is an amateur game. But then in 2021 — That system changed drastically."

"Most importantly, there was a rule that said nothing about the payments anybody makes to players can be conditioned on them playing at all or on them playing well. And the second thing was you can’t use these payments, these NIL payments, to recruit players, either to recruit high schoolers or to recruit people from other schools to your school. Those were the guidelines the NCAA set, but almost immediately after these rules come into effect, wealthy boosters, rich folks who support these teams, see a loophole. They see an opening for themselves."

"They start these things called collectives, which are groups that are not legally affiliated with the schools they support, but they exist to support a specific school’s athletic programs. And what they do is pool money from rich donors, and it can be millions of dollars. And they pay athletes for the rights to their name, in some cases for the athletes to do charity work, make an appearance at the Boys and Girls Club, to appear at another charity’s gala, to post about charity on social media, but often these charities pay way more than an actual charity would pay for this."

"I talked to somebody who was at Michigan State. And he paid somebody $750,000 a year a football player. And the charity work that person did in return was to make one social media post a month."

"They’re paying athletes, often, who don’t have much of an endorsement value. People who are really valuable to their own team, like an offensive lineman or a fullback, they’re paying that person according to their value to the team, not according to their endorsement value. So this is not a person you would ever buy Gatorade from. You’ve never heard this person’s name, but the team needs them."

This puts an axe to the root of the story that NIL money is at all interested in a return....the goal of the collectives is to win games by luring high quality players to their chosen program and then keeping them.
BINGO!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Nick Saban retires!!! As it pertains to NIL....does anybody think Nick Saban just started looking around and just decided to call it a career rather than deal with the new era? He's made comments before that sounded like he was not a fan.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:14 pm Nick Saban retires!!! As it pertains to NIL....does anybody think Nick Saban just started looking around and just decided to call it a career rather than deal with the new era? He's made comments before that sounded like he was not a fan.
Makes sense to me. If so I hope he communicates his disdain over and over………and over again.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

College football is well on its way to becoming the equivalent of minor league baseball. The main difference is instead of the individual NFL teams having their own farm teams the television networks pick and choose which schools to support.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:24 am College football is well on its way to becoming the equivalent of minor league baseball. The main difference is instead of the individual NFL teams having their own farm teams the television networks pick and choose which schools to support.
College football is closer to the NFL than it is to minor league baseball IMO. Minor league baseball at least has a sense of amateurism that isn’t completely driven by media.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Contracts are needed
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:35 am Contracts are needed
In other words, lawyers are the ONLY clear winners in all of this.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!