Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 am
How about Belic?

During his time at UC-Santa Barbara, he showed improvement. He went from 2 points a game and 18% from beyond the arc to 3.9 points a game and 26% last year.
Heck, he darn near doubled his production! Those are Caden Powell level numbers. What could go wrong?
Caden Powell doubled Belic’s numbers this past year. Powell averaged 5.5 pts a game, 4.5 rebounds per game and shot 49.1% from the field as compared to Belic’s 3.9 pts, 2.4 rebounds and 44% from the field.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 am
LawPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 am

Heck, he darn near doubled his production! Those are Caden Powell level numbers. What could go wrong?
Caden Powell doubled Belic’s numbers this past year. Powell averaged 5.5 pts a game, 4.5 rebounds per game and shot 49.1% from the field as compared to Belic’s 3.9 pts, 2.4 rebounds and 44% from the field.
So what you're saying is that Belic is no Caden Powell? That is saying a lot.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 am
Caden Powell also played in a much more difficult conference. The MWC was conference RPI #5 this past year. The traditional 1 bid Big West was conference RPI #20.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am
LawPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am

Caden Powell also played in a much more difficult conference. The MWC was conference RPI #5 this past year. The traditional 1 bid Big West was conference RPI #20.
Sad thing is, I am not sure WYO basketball would be competitive in the Big West either (this past year, or next - you pick).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am
Sad thing is, I am not sure WYO basketball would be competitive in the Big West either (this past year, or next - you pick).
I think we would have been upper half in a bad Big West this past year. The way that next year's roster is shaping up on paper, we are looking more like a basement Big West team.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:07 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 am

I think we would have been upper half in a bad Big West this past year. The way that next year's roster is shaping up on paper, we are looking more like a basement Big West team.
If that. How in the living hell can anyone at the AD look in the mirror at themselves right now, and justify internally what they have done or are doing?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 pm

If that. How in the living hell can anyone at the AD look in the mirror at themselves right now, and justify internally what they have done or are doing?
I don’t know what Burman could realistically do at this point. He gave Linder an extension 2 years ago that makes it financially impossible to fire Linder for at least a year or two. It’s become relatively apparent at this point that few players want to play for Linder and any assistant coaches that can bail have already done so. Linder is laughing all the way to the bank with his salary and Yellowstone .gif collection.

And now that Linder is or has worn out his welcome - what serious donor wants to throw a bunch of NIL dollars at the program at this point? That money would likely only serve to benefit Linder and his ability to land the next job by achieving slightly better results than the current trajectory.

My honest assessment at this point is that this program will probably hit a worse depth than we ever did under Edwards or Schroyer.

As always - I hope I’m very wrong.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:15 pm

I don’t know what Burman could realistically do at this point. He gave Linder an extension 2 years ago that makes it financially impossible to fire Linder for at least a year or two. It’s become relatively apparent at this point that few players want to play for Linder and any assistant coaches that can bail have already done so. Linder is laughing all the way to the bank with his salary and Yellowstone .gif collection.

And now that Linder is or has worn out his welcome - what serious donor wants to throw a bunch of NIL dollars at the program at this point? That money would likely only serve to benefit Linder and his ability to land the next job by achieving slightly better results than the current trajectory.

My honest assessment at this point is that this program will probably hit a worse depth than we ever did under Edwards or Schroyer.

As always - I hope I’m very wrong.
I've always felt like the administrations at UW was constrained in ways that most of us wagging tongues don't account for. When we look back at how we got to "here", regardless of where "here" is, we really can't say that there were obvious alternate decisions that we could have made that would have altered the "here" in a meaningfully positive way. As an example, the AA re-seating debacle is widely considered to have been handled poorly. The way those projects are funded and paid for had a lot to do with what came out the other end...it is not unlikely that the options were a poorly handled re-seating fiasco or no renovation at all. For the sake of discussion...what if there was a way for it to have gone well? In that alternate reality, does the effect of fans being happy with the renovation and re-seating negate the effects of the relaxation of transfer standards and NIL madness?

All this to say...it is entirely possible that Burman is terrible and the person in the AD chair really isn't what is driving athletic failures at UW....it's probably a lot of both. I love me some Wyoming athletics but I'm just really disillusioned with the realities of the last couple decades.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

As long as the football team can consistently be bowl eligible Burman and the rest of the AD are safe. Not saying I agree, but that seems to be the standard.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 107 times

Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Seems like a good pickup. In his career he's a 50/36/70 shooter. Efficient player.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:52 pm Seems like a good pickup. In his career he's a 50/36/70 shooter. Efficient player.
Might be the best we can realistically hope for in a D1 transfer. I think he can contribute.

Out of curiosity, I was looking at what happened with the players that were named first team all-Summit league this past season. Five were eligible to transfer and four of them did. Landing schools were Kansas, UCLA, Michigan State, and Cal.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 241 times

Very nice pickup for us! Welcome to Wyoming
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 241 times

Very nice pickup for us! Welcome to Wyoming
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 107 times

As it stands right now, we've got 6 outgoing transfers and 4 incoming. Kael Combs has yet to commit, and we don't know if Kenny Foster is returning or not. Here's what I'm thinking we're waiting on:

1. Hiring a new assistant. As we saw last year with the Williams hiring, a new assitant can bring recruits with them. Also works against you if they leave, though.
2. Signing a big. We desperately need interior help. We've got guards for days, but we need forwards/centers in the worst way.
3. Combs and Foster could still return, though I think it's doubtful on both fronts. I'm guessing that we'll see a signing within days of either announcing what they're doing.