Linder leaving

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 133 times

If you can't get the hire you want, name interim and take the lumps this year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 243 times

[*]
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:00 am If you can't get the hire you want, name interim and take the lumps this year.
Agree. Announce DeWeese as interim coach and find the best candidate (which is not DeWeese). It doesn’t matter who we hire, we will take big lumps next year because Linder timed his departure to ensure that there was no one decent left in the portal for Wyoming to sign.

I don’t believe Linder’s departure timing was by accident either. This was almost undoubtedly intentional. This way he can point to the worse record next year to announce to the world that he wasn’t the problem.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:22 pm
EscondidoPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:11 pm Still curious as to why almost 2 days later no official announcement has been made??? :eek: :eek: :eek:
I’d guess that Tech and Wyoming are negotiating the buyout terms??
Wyoming should get every penny in the contract. The timing is terrible. Maybe Linder started looking for greener pastures once Cam and Kael
hit portal
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

I remember when "Mr. Integrity" Dennis E. bailed-out as football coach. As I recall, it happened during the WAC basketball tournament in March in Albuquerque. I remember both Paul Roach and Jim Brandenburg being really POed about it. As a direct result, Paul Roach took over as football coach. Memories are fuzzy, of course, but I remember Roach saying: ''I hired a new football coach, and ... It's Me."
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 17 times

Sundance will be an upgrade. It looks promising that he is coming home.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 57 times

Was there ever an official statement from UW reporting Linder’s resignation?

The whole thing is bizarre. No statement from UW. No statement from Linder. Just an out of the blue news report one day that he is going to be an assistant at Texas Tech. I would love to know how all of this actually went down. Something seems off.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 253 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:53 pm Was there ever an official statement from UW reporting Linder’s resignation?

The whole thing is bizarre. No statement from UW. No statement from Linder. Just an out of the blue news report one day that he is going to be an assistant at Texas Tech. I would love to know how all of this actually went down. Something seems off.
Agree. Odd.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 12 times

Poke in New England wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:05 am

I'd take Gottleib. That would be a splash hire and may breathe life back into the program.
It would be an extremely big gamble, which is why I don't believe Burman would ever do it. Just doesn't fit his MO.

I wonder if Gottlieb could even find Laramie on a map.
Looks like Gottlieb is going to take over for Sundance in Green Bay
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 117 times

303cowboy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 am
Poke in New England wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 am

It would be an extremely big gamble, which is why I don't believe Burman would ever do it. Just doesn't fit his MO.

I wonder if Gottlieb could even find Laramie on a map.
Looks like Gottlieb is going to take over for Sundance in Green Bay
Looks like we'll get to see which is the better hire. I'd take Sundance over Gottlieb any day.

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Linder buy-out details:
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 am Linder buy-out details:
Wow! Seems like we did an awful job negotiating. On the face of the deal, it appears we rolled out the red carpet for Texas Tech.

We get 2 road basketball games for $150K each!?!? Couldn’t we have got that deal without a buyout being involved?

The other term is a $200K increase for our football game at Texas Tech which we are already obligated to play.

So it seems we are basically getting $200K out of the deal but at the same time creating a more difficult non-conference basketball schedule by agreeing to play 2 games at Texas Tech without a return game in Laramie.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Burman got his ass handed to him in those negotiations. Lmao what a loser
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:09 pm
MrTitleist wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 am Linder buy-out details:
Wow! Seems like we did an awful job negotiating. On the face of the deal, it appears we rolled out the red carpet for Texas Tech.

We get 2 road basketball games for $150K each!?!? Couldn’t we have got that deal without a buyout being involved?

The other term is a $200K increase for our football game at Texas Tech which we are already obligated to play.

So it seems we are basically getting $200K out of the deal but at the same time creating a more difficult non-conference basketball schedule by agreeing to play 2 games at Texas Tech without a return game in Laramie.
So linder owes us 700k x 3 and we come away with $200k. Lmao. Spectacularly bad wow
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:45 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:09 pm

So linder owes us 700k x 3 and we come away with $200k. Lmao. Spectacularly bad wow
And the additional $200K isn’t paid until 2028…

I haven’t seen the buyout provision and am unsure of any monies that Linder could claim are still owed to him from his time at Wyoming. Maybe there was a decent legal argument that the buyout should not apply in this circumstance for whatever reason. But on the face of just what is being reported, I am shaking my head in amazement.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 87 times

I wonder if anyone will do a public records request for the contract details.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

doreno5 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:54 pm I wonder if anyone will do a public records request for the contract details.
I hope so. Seems our AD took the easy road, instead of the funds up front. Further, I wonder how the buyout terms worked for Sundance?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I'm no Burman defender, lol, but this might simply be the least bad option he was facing. When a divorce is imminent, moving on as quickly as possible is best.

It's possible Tech didn't want Linder bad enough to spend any more. If Burman stands his ground, Linder is a bad and now jaded coach roaming the bench. I'm guessing this option was most bad to Burman so he took it in the shorts.

To me, the biggest question is if Wicks is the right option or if an interim would have been better? We'll see on a few years on that one.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:26 am I'm no Burman defender, lol, but this might simply be the least bad option he was facing. When a divorce is imminent, moving on as quickly as possible is best.

It's possible Tech didn't want Linder bad enough to spend any more. If Burman stands his ground, Linder is a bad and now jaded coach roaming the bench. I'm guessing this option was most bad to Burman so he took it in the shorts.

To me, the biggest question is if Wicks is the right option or if an interim would have been better? We'll see on a few years on that one.
Linder has a lot of incentive to not do what you said in your example. He has to coach and maintain his reputation
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:16 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:26 am I'm no Burman defender, lol, but this might simply be the least bad option he was facing. When a divorce is imminent, moving on as quickly as possible is best.

Linder has a lot of incentive to not do what you said in your example. He has to coach and maintain his reputation
He had to take an assistant job. His rep is already tanked. I'm not sure I'd force a continued downward spiral over a few hundred k. Toxic personalities can disrupt entire departments. I actually get Burman's take on this (assuming Tech wasn't going to budge).
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 57 times

doreno5 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:54 pm I wonder if anyone will do a public records request for the contract details.
Anyone can do it - it's very easy. Just send an email to [email protected] letting them know which records you are requesting. UW will acknowledge the receipt of your request within 7 business days. In my experience, they usually acknowledge receipt that same day or the next. Then they have 30 days to gather the requested information and send it to you. Sometimes there is a small fee for the time required searching/gathering the information and for copy costs if the information includes physical documents (usually no more than $100). If it is easy information to find and they can email it to you, there probably won't even be a fee.

The more specific you are with your request, the faster you will get what you are looking for. Be as specific as possible. Anything related to UW business is considered public records, even if the business is conducted via non-university email or non-university issued cell phone. So feel free to request text messages and emails related to Linder's resignation/buy-out as well.