Why I am optimistic...even if I am in the minority

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

Karsten Sween was 5-2 as a freshman. Most people don’t remember that both TCU and BYU were ranked in the Top 25 when we lost to them, so it’s not like we were losing to nobodies that year after he came in. I disregard last season as the anomaly because of Cockhill belittled the entire offense and Sween didn’t deal well with his personal life conflicting with football. Word is this season he is hanging out more with the team, has been putting in more time in the film room than any other player, and has his confidence back. I saw a D1 Qb on Saturday and think he will prove that he can get it done now that he gets a whole game to prove it.
D-Mo has 508 rushing yards and an impressive 5.6 yd/carry average. In addition Seldon has a respectable 4.3 yd/carry average and 233 total rushing yards. To me this suggests we can run the ball.
Our offensive line is better than everyone is trying to claim. They aren’t the best in the league, but they can get the job done, we have put together some decent drives this year when we hang onto the ball. Teams can’t do that if the offensive line is “Swiss cheese”.
Our defense may not be quite as stout as last year but we are still playing solid and if our offense can put together drives that both give the D a chance to rest and put some points on the board; Dobbs and Co will stay jacked up and good things will happen.
Jake Scott has been solid and the rest of the Special teams are much better than it has been the last couple seasons.
The turnovers will be minimized. The players have heard enough about holding onto the ball, now it’s time they just step up and do it. RB’s and WR’s will hold onto the ball, the WR’s will focus and not tip the ball to the other team, and the QB’s will throw it away instead of forcing the issue when it’s not needed.
The coaches and players realize that they need to come out and perform. Should it have taken this long to get things going? Hell no, but we are here now and it’s time for them to put up or shut up. The writing is on the wall, I see plenty of reasons to be motivated and 0 to hold anything back.
So that’s why I am optimistic. I am sure that this post will get shot full of holes, but I stand by it and refuse to give up on the season before its over.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Snowman...one thing I really like about WyoNation...

You can stand up, make a statement, show your opinion, and you are not going to get personally attacked to the point of it being rediculous.

I respect your opinion, and hold out all hope that the team can make it happen. I just don't think it will...and for me...it has been a long, bitter, road...of losing. 9 years to be exact.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
14Poke
Buckaroo

I'm feeling pretty good about this one too, it's sad but we're playing a beat up Lobo team and our boys have got to be getting pretty pissed off with their performance.
"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk! "...Cal Naughton Jr.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

McP - Wasn't worried about being attacked - 1) Wouldn't expect everyone to agree especially with the way we are going; 2) I can handle what other people have to say; 3) It comes with message boards; 4) Your right - I think people that have polar opposite views get into it here without the personal attacks (so far anyway)

And trust me I here you about the 9 years with minimal ups (the Vegas Bowl being one - glad I didn't miss that one). If still remember Koenning getting that first win over Central Michigan and thinking that things would be alright. That was about the last good thing I thought in regards to Vic Koenning football.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
siliconvalleycowboy
Buckaroo

The sad part it's not like it would take a miracle to win some of these games. A few more passes caught, less fumbling and interception throwing and we're right there I think. The problem is recent history is not on our side in limiting turnovers. Now that I think about it, maybe that would be a miracle. Regardless I wouldn't be surprised if we finished strong, just less surprised if we don't.
What do you mean funny? Funny how? Like I'm a clown? I amuse you?
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I too am optimistic...because I have felt the season was lost (2006) and the Pokes turned it around to be what I think is Glenn's best team, but eventually was screwed out of a Bowl.

Ohio...it was ugly but we won. I thought the CB's needed to play tighter, but it was thier first D1 games, understandable. Questioned some of the 3rd and long play calling.

Air Force...we should win, more talent and experience. We totally out played them in the first half but the score didn't reflect it. Most D1 teams we play we will have more talent, but hopefully we have enough kids that are serious about getting playing time and being the best they can be to make up for it. AFA is what we need to be, better coached, tough, opportunistic, assignment strong. We are a jr & sr laden team that just got beat by a bunch of fr & so, what is in store in the future? Not much home field advantage in this series.

NDSU...ugly but won.

BYU...played our best ball of the season for a quarter and a half (except one play / lateral-were we all stand around even after AFA last yr?). It would have been an upset so, losing regardless of the score didn't bug me too much.

BGSU...we are suppose to win these. Out of conference team traveling a long distance to play at 7,220 ft. We win these games. That is probably why UW fans are so upset, our supposed home field advantage has yield 2 close wins, and a very lopsided loss. Again, take out a early mistake (int td) and we were doing ok. We just score to tighten the gap at 14-10 with four minutes before halftime and what do we do, flag for unsportsmanlike conduct (still not sure what for). That penalty led to 10 more pts in the last 50 seconds for BGSU. Without the extra 15 yrds they don't go for it on 4th and 2, they run out clock more, punt and leave us with no time to fumble. We don't have to play like the smartest team in D1, but we don't have the talent to make any mistakes.

So, while my intellect tells me that if we are struggling in what should be our blowout wins, the rest will get uglier; My heart is hoping that Karsten's escapability will now be matched by composure after dodging another defender and that the receivers will get used to catching the ball after hardly being thrown to in the first 5 games and that D-Mo and Wynel will quit running out of bounds, make a move, and hang on to the damn ball. NM is down, SDSU is down, CSU it appears is still down and a home game this year. Those could be 3 wins. UNLV has had some nice games, but lost to Nevada, so we could catch them on a bad week or win the TO battle for a victory. That could be 4 more wins. It is a long shot but that could be enough for a NM Bowl bid (they choose us over other 6-6 teams because of the aforementioned screw job.) Glenn repeats his Bowl magic, this time against a lower ranked team and there is your 7 win season(7-6).

Don't forget we used to be good for at least one upset a year, we shoved the ball down TCUs throat last year when we couldn't on anyone else (price you pay for a D built on speed, run right at em), Utah comes to town with the Pokes looking for revenge (how the Pokes play this day will have great impact on my opinion of Glenn and staff), and Tennessee has even more off the field issues than us.

Call it a pipe dream but I do see scenarios where we win 7 games, keep Glenn, the Offensive Offensive coaches either figure it out or get replaced (sp teams as well-so far turned around their issues), recruits respond to renewed confidence in Glenn and the Indoor Practice Facility and we keep improving each year to conf championship level. It takes time, especially at Wyo, and if we can manage 7 this year I don't see why we can't manage 8,9,10 in the near future. I think most fans want what we had with Tiller but want the coach to stay. We didn't take care of him in a down year, so after a good one he left.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!