Sure sign that BB season is around the corner...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Mountain West Conference Announces 2008-09 Preseason Men's Basketball Selections
Preseason All-MWC
Lee Cummard, Sr., G, BYU
Lorrenzo Wade, Sr., F, San Diego State
Wink Adams, Sr., G, UNLV
Luke Nevill, Sr., C, Utah

Brandon Ewing, Sr., G, Wyoming

Preseason Co-Players of the Year
Lee Cummard, Sr., G, BYU
Wink Adams, Sr., G, UNLV

Preseason Newcomer of the Year
Tre'Von Willis, So., G, UNLV

Preseason Freshman of the Year
Phillip McDonald, G, New Mexico

Preseason Media Poll
Rank School (First Place Votes) Points
1. UNLV (16) 206
2. BYU (5) 181
3. San Diego State (3) 170
4. Utah 148
5. New Mexico 132

6. Wyoming 75
7. Air Force 66
8. Colorado State 53
9. TCU 49
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Ok, I will start off the chatter. Picked 6th? With the super the deed schedule that Schoyer has put together to challenge this team, and the great record he posted last year? wow, the excitement is flowing through me. He is a sub-par coach who was hired by his "buddy" burman. This will be a continuation of football teams record. The Pokes being picked 6th is a compliment.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I have to disagree with you OSP. I think we are going to suprise this year. Schroyer is getting personel to fit his scheme. Tall athletic players who can play defense. Ewing and Ogirri are going to be one hell of a tandem in the backcourt. And most the rest of the players will be new which can only be a good thing as last year we were pretty sad. I don't know if we will be challenging for the conference title this year but i think we should finish higher than 6th.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Many people said that last year. Then what happened? We lose the play in game to the CSUtards. Schoyer will be as bad of a headcoach here as he was at portland. What is his overall win/loss record? It sure as hell is not close to .500. He came in on Burmans coat tails and last year it showed. LOSING TO CSU? You gotta be kidding me. And, I noticed that alot of his players that are "transfers" are coming from elite programs and were "elite" players. Doesnt it make you wonder "why transfer here"? Because they are flunking out at other schools. They will do the same here. It is a tragedy that our athletic program (both football and basketball) have come to this. Dont you think that the reason that the pre-conference schedule is so pathetic is so that his w/l record will come up? Burman and Schoyer set this up so that when the basketball program gets killed in conference play that the record wont look as bad and it saves Burman from looking like the spineless idiot he is. The BB program will go no where once conference games start.
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

one-smooth-poke wrote:Many people said that last year. Then what happened? We lose the play in game to the CSUtards. Schoyer will be as bad of a headcoach here as he was at portland. What is his overall win/loss record? It sure as hell is not close to .500. He came in on Burmans coat tails and last year it showed. LOSING TO CSU? You gotta be kidding me. And, I noticed that alot of his players that are "transfers" are coming from elite programs and were "elite" players. Doesnt it make you wonder "why transfer here"? Because they are flunking out at other schools. They will do the same here. It is a tragedy that our athletic program (both football and basketball) have come to this. Dont you think that the reason that the pre-conference schedule is so pathetic is so that his w/l record will come up? Burman and Schoyer set this up so that when the basketball program gets killed in conference play that the record wont look as bad and it saves Burman from looking like the spineless idiot he is. The BB program will go no where once conference games start.
We had a bad year no doubt but it's way too early to throw in the towel. Losing to CSU was a gut-wrenching heart stomper for sure. I went to the scrimmage last Saturday and was very impressed with the new players and even Shroyer. He came up into the stands and thanked people for coming. We talked to him for a while and he said this was his best recruiting class ever and was very excited for the fans to see them play. I thought he was kinda arrogant last year but was really impressed with this gesture, not that it means anything.

I'm not going to get into the individual talent assessments of the players based on one scrimmage but I will say right now this team is head and shoulders above anything we saw last year. In fact I did not see one recruit (that was suited) who didn't impress. Diakite, Muojeke, and Thiam are the real deal. Thiam can flat out handle the ball for someone his size and has a Bailey-like pull up jump shot that's really nice to see again.

And we won't have to wait for conference to assess our talent level. We will play Boise, UCLA, Loyola Marymount, and Utah State on the road. These will prove to be MWC type of games and give us an indication of any improvement over last season. As for the kids flunking out, your crystal balls clearer than mine but given the situation that McLain left us in I highly doubt we'll be seeing that happen again. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll take half-full approach for now.

I can't help being optimistic, maybe it's just the leftover adrenaline I accumulated during the summer when I actually thought we would kick some ass this year in football. Anyway I'll be at the first practice and a few more later on, along with every home game and the MWC tourney in Vegas.

Go Pokes...we need a winner!
Me, I'm spiritually retarded, I need to be knee deep in water with a fly rod in my hands, that's about as close to God as I get.
"Steve Earle"
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I might be eating crow by the end of this season, but I am a believer in Schroyer and also believe we will finish higher than 6th in conference. This is a very athletic team and if we get some good play from Waddell & Linskins at center, we might be competetive with every team in the conference.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

WYCowboy wrote:I might be eating crow by the end of this season, but I am a believer in Schroyer and also believe we will finish higher than 6th in conference. This is a very athletic team and if we get some good play from Waddell & Linskins at center, we might be competetive with every team in the conference.
You hit the nail on the head there. We have been without a legitimate big man since Uche left and our performance on the court reflected that. We absolutely have to have aggressive play from our centers for this team to make some noise this year.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Well, it seems the "drama" for the BB team has started. A "suspension" already? For violating "team conduct rules"? Are you kidding me? Mark my words, this will be exactly like Portland. As far as the the deed out of conference schedule, I honestly think we barely make it over the .500 mark. Schoyer has brought in some thugs that couldnt make it at other school and we are loaded with juco transfers (remember, there was all this hype over Crum....who turned out to be Crummy). This is gonna be the "part 2" of a terrible mens athletic performance!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

one-smooth-poke wrote:Well, it seems the "drama" for the BB team has started. A "suspension" already? For violating "team conduct rules"? Are you kidding me? Mark my words, this will be exactly like Portland. As far as the the deed out of conference schedule, I honestly think we barely make it over the .500 mark. Schoyer has brought in some thugs that couldnt make it at other school and we are loaded with juco transfers (remember, there was all this hype over Crum....who turned out to be Crummy). This is gonna be the "part 2" of a terrible mens athletic performance!
I think he missed a practice or study session and will not play in a scrimmage against Washington and our exhibition game.

Who are these thugs you speak of? We have exactly one JUCO player on our team in Diakite. And of the transfers, most were redshirting before transferring. Thiam played about 20 minutes a game as a redshirt freshman at Baylor before transferring. Ogirri only led his team to the Sweet 16 before transferring.

Something tells me you are just talking without knowing. You can be bitter about football, but there is no reason not to be somewhat optimistic about the upcoming basketball season.

ps. Schroyer led a last place Portland State team to the Big Sky title in 3 years.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
one-smooth-poke wrote:Well, it seems the "drama" for the BB team has started. A "suspension" already? For violating "team conduct rules"? Are you kidding me? Mark my words, this will be exactly like Portland. As far as the the deed out of conference schedule, I honestly think we barely make it over the .500 mark. Schoyer has brought in some thugs that couldnt make it at other school and we are loaded with juco transfers (remember, there was all this hype over Crum....who turned out to be Crummy). This is gonna be the "part 2" of a terrible mens athletic performance!
I think he missed a practice or study session and will not play in a scrimmage against Washington and our exhibition game.

Who are these thugs you speak of? We have exactly one JUCO player on our team in Diakite. And of the transfers, most were redshirting before transferring. Thiam played about 20 minutes a game as a redshirt freshman at Baylor before transferring. Ogirri only led his team to the Sweet 16 before transferring.

Something tells me you are just talking without knowing. You can be bitter about football, but there is no reason not to be somewhat optimistic about the upcoming basketball season.

ps. Schroyer led a last place Portland State team to the Big Sky title in 3 years.
Yo Jimmy!

Although I agree with what you said, I think the key word is "somewhat" as in somewhat optimistic. Our OOC schedule smells like Fort Collins.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote:

Yes, Schoyer led a last place Portland team to the Big Sky title in 3 years, then bailed on the program. His win percentage was not even close to .500 and it showed. He knew he was about to be shown the door. If I am wrong with my predictions then I will certainly post a "I was wrong" statement.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

he was about to be shown the door? wow,really? that makes wonder why the same AD he left, hired him again here at WYO.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

wyo 1 wrote:he was about to be shown the door? wow,really? that makes wonder why the same AD he left, hired him again here at WYO.

It is because he is a Burman flunky. Just like Josh, the CJC director.